APOD Firearms

~$400 to spend on a .22lr pistol. What would you pick?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medgunner1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Hey guys, I have about $400 to spend on a .22lr pistol. I'm looking for something to have fun with, possibly compete with, and also to practice draws, shooting on the move, etc (CHL type things-- since .22lr is way cheaper than .40). I'm looking at the M&P22 since it most closely resembles my glock, but I want your opinions. So what would you buy? New or used.

Edit: I now realize there is a rimfire forum on here. Sorry about that!

Last edited:

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    M&p22 would be good. I believe there is a glock conversion kit to 22 out there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    People tell me that they like their advantage arms .22 conversion kits for the glocks. I have a Buckmark, and enjoy it. My dad put a reflex sight on his Buckmark. It's pretty sweet.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    since .22lr is way cheaper than .40)

You priced it lately? when you can find it?

I bought an M&P22 for the exact reasons you describe.
    I have run thousands of rouonds through it and it has been a rock solid performer eating almost anything its fed.

The 22/45 and Buckmark are great platforms. But for the same "feel", you can't go wrong with the Smith.

MR2Aaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I'd go with a conversion for your Glock first off.

Ruger 22/45s are nice also.

<Agree> For your stated purpose, a conversion kit for your Glock would be the best option.

If you want an actual .22LR pistol, then I say go with a Ruger Mark III, like this:

gun.jpg

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    I love the Ruger MK II's. I have a Govt. Target Model with a 6-7/8" Bull Barrel, and a MK II 50th Anniversary edition. Absolutely love those two weapons. Also have the AA Conversion kit for the the Glock 19/23. My AA kit has been great. I still prefer the MK II's.
    If I had a little over $ 400 to spare, I'd (currently am) be on the hunt for a MK II with the slab side barrel.

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    I would go with the M&P 22 and It will fall under your budget. Plus you can't go wrong with a 12 round mag versus all others that have 10. Shop around I paid $412 for mive and I have seen them go for $369 at some local gun shops and for $379 and Academy.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've been looking too. I bought a Smith 422 when Walmart stopped selling pistols years ago. But I want a newer one.

Sig mosquito - heard they have issues with some ammo cycling. But I like the feel of this gun a lot.

Beretta Neos - looks cool. The shorter barrel has a good feel. The long barrel is not balanced well. But anything Beretta is prob good.

Ruger - my uncle had one that was fun to shoot, the long barrels are a little off putting to me.

All of those are available at Academy. In stock.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have a Neos. It is reliable and accurate, also very easy to add optics. Easy to take apart and clean.

The grip is to small for me though and it causes the safety to dig in to my hand. I will be looking for something else soon. Will probably save the Neos for kids to shoot.

I had a Ruger 22/45 a while back and regret letting it go. If you do t get something that relocates a full size gun(Mp22) I would recommend the Ruger.

Top Bottom