• ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Type and brand...
    I really like rockport brand shoes. I think you should buy a pair.
    What do you mean rockports don't fit you? They are the best and most comfortable brand made!
    Oh, you found some New Balance that fit you and suit your needs? Bravo!

Guns are a lot like this. What feels comfortable in your hand? What can you grip and hit all the buttons and switches? Which can you run the slide on? A local range might have a 40 to rent and its worth a test drive. If you spend $400 you will be hard pressed to find a "bad" gun.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you to buy a Ford or a Chevy or maybe that all american cars are junk.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Brands dont mean a whole lot. Some guns dont run cheap ammo very well. I buy USA made ammo but thats personal preference. Some folks are so concerned with ball ammo over penetrating walls and what not. Then what happens if you need to shoot through a door. So Im gona say bonded hp's since they can shoot through intermediate barriers and still expand on soft targets. That stuff is costly though. Shoot what suits you.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    The 40 s&w is a great round for self defense .I would start off going to a gun store a REAL gun store.Try holding all brands see what feels good .Also make sure you try the triggers,big sports stores won't let you try triggers.Once you narrow it down to the few you really like call around to the local ranges and see if you can rent them.Then seek help for your new addiction. Oh do a lot of research, dont believe everything people tell you except me ,LOL. Take care and good luck.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The suggestion to go shoot some is the very best "free" advice you will read. I also think a potential buyer should not only handle the gun to see how it feels but shoot several even if they don't "feel" great in the store. Sometimes the guns such as a Glock that may feel as if the grip is too large when you just handle it, actually feel better when shooting because of the size of the grip. I have some "non-gun" friends that will buy guns based on how they "feel" at the gun store (without shooting them). One ended up buying a lightweight S&W J frame because it had a small grip and he wanted a .357 magnum for self defense. Needless to say the first time he shot it he was quite supprised. Bottom line, shoot'em or one like them before you make a final decision. Just my two bits.

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    I have a Beretta 96FS (.40) that I have had since 1999. It has worked for me and I have never had a problem with it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree with shooting as many as you can before buying. I would suggest finding what you can shoot well then looking for opinions on reliability because your quesation is probably going to get you a list of every handgun ever manufactured, and for the simple reason that everyone prefers something different. That being said, I keep a Beretta PX4 .40 cal. in the bedroom. Yes it is SA/DA but some prefer it. It has been very reliable and comfortable to shoot. Also comes with interchangable backstraps to get a better fit, I would recomend trying one if your not looking for a hammerless design. Good luck with your search.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For home defense primarily, I would recommend a larger handgun over a smaller one, as long as all else was equal and it fit the shooter good.

+1, no reason to give up mag capacity and control if it won't be concealed.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    A compromise would be if the person does not or probably will not own may guns (gasp!), they may opt to have their home defense gun and their carry/travel gun be one in the same. It saves on cost but it also means learning to shoot only one gun well. As an example, in the case of something like a Glock it would be easy to make the transition from small to large but a G17 would certainly work well in home defense and travel. The same is true of many other brands, platforms, etc.

Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    The .40 is a good man stopper, but a bit harsh to take out target shooting. I now own 3 of them. I would recommend a full size pistol for home defense. A full size pistol will offer a higher mag capacity and in general be more comfortable to shoot. Which brand is really going to come down to personal preference. I like my FNH FNX 40 because I like DA/SA. I also like the way it fits in my hand and the feel of the trigger. I don't like the trigger on my XD 40 quite as much, but I've grown to appreciate the advantages of the passive safeties. A lot of people like the Glocks and Sigs and a lot of LEOs carry them. Go to a range that offers a variety of guns for rent and see is they will let you try out a few. Pick the gun that fits mostly comfortably in your hand, has the operation style you prefer, and the trigger that feels most comfortable to you. Don't go real cheap like a Jennings, but less expensive brands such as Taurus can work out nicely. I have a 740 slim I need to take to the range. I like the feel of the trigger and the passive safety.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If you like Glocks then the 23 is the way to go. Reliable, cheap to fix when it breaks (rarely), and concealable (if you want to go that route). Only very slightly less comfortable to shoot than its bigger brother, the 22.

Use quality hollowpoints for self defense- ESPECIALLY indoors!

If you don't like Glocks there are plenty of other options.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Go to a range and rent some guns. Pick the one that fits your hand best and is the most comfortable to shoot. That is the gun for you because, in general, guns in the $300-600 price range from major manufacturers are well-made and reliable.

Top Bottom