• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I have a rat living in the flower beds beside the house. The flower beds are covered in river rock and big iron ore boulders. I've seen this rat three times this week. If I shoot him with .357 shot shells, CCI, which I have, is there any danger of the shot bouncing off the river rock? And FYI, I hate rats. My options are 12 ga, 20 ga, .410, and .357 shot shells.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Rifling causes the shot pattern to look like a donut.
    I'd use the .410 at some distance and wear eye protection because shot or rock bounce back is likely.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    If you're in the city limits I wouldn't use a shotgun because of the noise. You can use .38 caliber rounds in a .357 with rat shot which I used in the city many moons ago with success. I agree with Vaquero and also recommend a pellet gun. Or bait station or plain Jane trap.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Shooting any gun in city limits where I live will get one in trouble so I go for the rat trap idea. I have used pellet rifle on tree rats though with success.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Surely you have a .22?
    Purchase some .22 lr birdshot at Academy or elsewhere. It will be much quieter than a .38 Special Shotshell and just as effective. Do wear protective eye-wear when firing a shotshell at any hard surface. I've had the pellets rebound on me. Fortunately I was wearing goggles and the pellets just left a few red marks on my arm.

beenut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    I have a rat living in the flower beds beside the house. The flower beds are covered in river rock and big iron ore boulders. I've seen this rat three times this week. If I shoot him with .357 shot shells, CCI, which I have, is there any danger of the shot bouncing off the river rock? And FYI, I hate rats. My options are 12 ga, 20 ga, .410, and .357 shot shells.
    I have shot snakes on my patio with them just angle the shot some if still worried use 22 shot they have very small pellets

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    Apparently you can now buy explosive pellets for an airgun, give them a shot!
    Do a search and watch the vids on YouTube

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I could not find .22 rat shot at any store in my area. But I ordered some and they came in today. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Hopefully I will have a dead rat soon.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I could not find .22 rat shot at any store in my area. But I ordered some and they came in today. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Hopefully I will have a dead rat soon.
    Beware, where there is one you see there are many, many more hiding close by. They multiply worse than rabbits. They and roaches will be the only survivors in the end......

Top Bottom