• ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Anneal the brass

With respect to another member........He has loose primer pockets. That's a grievous issue screaming about high pressure. The OP needs to STOP what he's doing and find out the cause of the high pressure before he does anything else. For any brass with enlarged primer pockets....trash 'em!

Flash
    Venture Surplus ad

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have used Remington .308 brass in my bolt action rifles as well as my .308 AR. Never had any of the problems mentioned here. I use an RCBS full length resizer on my AR brass and a RCBS neck resizer on my block action brass.
    As far as the primer pocket issue. I have found that primers can require a different amount of force to seat in various pieces of brass. Some fit nice and snug while others go in fairly effortlessly. Same brass, same powder charge, and bullet. Over pressure usually results in puffed out or ruptured primer anvils.
    I do not think it is a problem with the brass.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Thanks, OLDVET. Primers aren't always the same size, try several brands, if you can find any. CCI has worked well in my mixed brass (mostly Rem from once fired SPP) AR-10 style, same cases loaded > 10 times - no loose PP. PP can be loose from improper HS (die setup) - primer is pushed out on firing, then back in when the case head hits the bolt face. Primer face will be flattened and the edge rolled over (larger). You should NOT neck size for an AR!!!!. FL only & get a case gauge for proper HS checking. None of my Lee rifle die sets work well. I shoot 168 Amax & cast in the LR-308, I FCD just to remove the bell, FL push the shoulder a tad to make sure it fits. I don't want any slam fires or locked up bolt. Pounding on the charging handle with a hammer to unlock the bolt is looking for TROUBLE, specially if it's a live round that is stuck. Anneal the neck only, it work hardens quickly and you will lose neck tension, need to crimp more (FCD or TC only - NO roll crimp) which will crush the bullet and let them rotate. Go to the castboolit site, search for BruceB's loading for the M1A sticky. Lots of really good IMPORTANT info there.

Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I am talking about primers from one lot and brand new packaged brass which I also assume is from the same lot. Example: I recently bought a box new Starline 5.56 nato cases. I used new CCI primers from my box of 1K. Some primers went it firm, while some went in with little resistence. This was same batch of primers and casings, but with different felt resistence. I use a hand primer tool, so I feel how each primer goes in.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You are on the right track by sanding down the expander ball. The loose primer pockets are disturbing though. Trash the loose pocketed brass after tearing them apart. They are nothing but trouble and possibly injury. Hot loads or bad brass would be my suspicion. Contact Remington and see what they have to say.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Neck tension is likely a problem that can be rectified by anealing the brass. Oversize primer pockets do scream excessive pressure. WTS R-P brass is notorious for being the cheapest crap out there.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    42 gr varget is a starting load - no way it will cause over pressure, only ~ 80% load. Something else is wrong. I read the post incorrectly and thought you were trying to neck size. Your OAL should set the bullet ~0.05 off the lands. Jamming the lands will increase pressure. Pinching the case neck into the bore will increase pressure. Insert a fired case into your gauge, measure the case head height difference, adjust the die to push the shoulder back another 0.005. Check sized case to make sure neck isn't too long. Check that it chambers OK. Now your cases are sized to your gun. Light loads with low neck tension will sometimes kick the primer back to the bolt, then when the powder lites, the primer gets shoved back and usually flattened. Won't happen if you set your HS correctly. Except for the LC cases I just bought, all my 308 brass (~ 300) is Rem unprimed or fired by me factory SPP. Narry a bad one yet. Oh, check your bolt face for a primer sized ring of possible gas cutting. I have the Lee set in 243 & 30-30. Neither works right. My 308 is Hornady & RCBS AR set. I just FCD to remove any bell. Do read the article I refered, lots of good info there.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Considering the load is light, how about case length? An over length case will jam into the throat and spike pressures. Make sure your brass is trimmed to the correct length.

Top Bottom