• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm from the Rio Grande Valley where everything is flat, so we have quite a few 1000+yd ranges which is awesome! Now that I have moved up to the hill country, I am lucky to find a rifle range past 100yds. Maybe I am not looking hard enough but does anybody know of a range in the hill country that has at least 500yds or does f-class shooting? Thanks guys!
    Military Camp

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Best of the West in Liberty Hill is rated as one of Texas' top ranges. They have state and national IDPA matches there. They also have up to 1000 yd range-I've heard. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Hicksville Gun Range in Gatesville is a Texas Gun Talk favorite. They have a very nice, spread out, clean, and friendly range. They have up to 600 yds.

Hicksville charges $10 per person per day for shooting paper or long range. To shoot steel targets is an extra $5 per person. They have 5 different style steel targets to shoot. You can shoot almost any round you can imagine (tracer and incideary are not allowed for fire reasons). Younggun takes his .50 up there. Other guys take full autos. Explosives are encouraged and sold on site. They also sell about 10 different paper targets, ammo, ear plugs, safety glasses, and drinks. They rent out guns and ear muffs.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Best of the West in Liberty Hill is rated as one of Texas' top ranges. They have state and national IDPA matches there. They also have up to 1000 yd range-I've heard. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Hicksville Gun Range in Gatesville is a Texas Gun Talk favorite. They have a very nice, spread out, clean, and friendly range. They have up to 600 yds.

Hicksville charges $10 per person per day for shooting paper or long range. To shoot steel targets is an extra $5 per person. They have 5 different style steel targets to shoot. You can shoot almost any round you can imagine (tracer and incideary are not allowed for fire reasons). Younggun takes his .50 up there. Other guys take full autos. Explosives are encouraged and sold on site. They also sell about 10 different paper targets, ammo, ear plugs, safety glasses, and drinks. They rent out guns and ear muffs.

I can confirm the 1000 yard range at Best of the West. It's a very nice range, the staff has always been great when I've shot there. Rifle line is (IIRC), 50, 100, 250, 500, 750 and 1000 yard distances, the targets are steel gongs at 250 and out. Ask real nice and the RO will even set up a 4" gong at 1000 or throw some of your clays on that berm if you want. It's an extra fee and you need to qualify to shoot 500+ there, so ask before you just do it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Hello my fellow Texans, I can honestly say its a Honor to be amongst You guys who keep on supporting our bill of rights by waking up and doing the most American Things by exercising our Second and First amendment. (on Texas Gun trader) Keep on Making America bigger by getting the word out to RESPONSIBLE gun owners to do the same. My comp., Accu-cut steel Would like to present our new line of steel targets, we can do ANY Custom Design or silhouette with Computer Assisted Design/ AutoCAD. Any size, any grade. And we always" Get it right the first time". Whether your a recreational shooter or a Local shooting range we can cover any project. God bless

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I find it pretty odd that Best of the West doesn't hold any long range shooting competitions. Bit of a drive for me anyways. Thanks to everybody that gave suggestions! Time to go out and sample the various ranges.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Probably at 100 or 200 like Hicksville. They don't want people shooting at 45 degree angles where they miss the berms at 500 or 1000. Got to qualify at shorter distance to make sure your on target and not just trying to zero at that distance.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That makes sense. I'm not against it just didn't know.

I need to pay to join BOTW. Cheaper to shoot and would encourage me to go too. Need to join Austin Rifle Club here too. We are pretty fortunate with our ranges.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'm always in the tac bays shooting pistols there, but didn't know this about the 500+ range. Qualify how?

5 hits on steel silhouettes at 500 qualifies you. After a few sight in rounds I was able to hit all 5 in a row with my AR for qualifying. If the wind isn't too crazy it's really not that hard as long as you don't have a 3+ moa rifle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom