• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Wrong, kinda! Look at the primer dent on an unfired, then a fired. Not much difference. AK didn't come with a spring loaded FP, add on to prevent full auto. Yes, the 22 had a FP problem, the owner finally shot a rabbit 50 ft away with a shotgun cause he couldn't hit it with the 22. No, limp wristing doesn't cause slam fires, but recoil will 'pull' the trigger for you. Even on a mark III. My point is that improper loading/brass prep can cause unintended boom. I don't really care what you want to call it.

No, you are wrong again. By your assumption every time an AR went into battery there would be a strong chance of a slam fire. Do some research, it does not happen. The firing pin does not have the speed or mass to set off the primer,(unless other conditions noted above are present.) period.

Call it what we want? You kidding me??? We are calling what it is correctly called and refereed to. You seem to think your confused line of thought is ok as you preach to others, it is not. Get with the program and learn WTF you are talking about. There is a distinct difference between a slam fire and a bump fire, google it and learn something.
    Lynx Defense

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    Well seems we're a lil off base now but kilo I'm running 4227 for powder tested 5 loads this weekend the lowest 3 all cycled the action and kept quiet the higher 2 loads got a little bit louder but stayed quiet enough so I'm good :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    From Wiki - A slamfire is a premature, usually unintended discharge of a firearm that occurs as a round is being loaded into the chamber. Causes are then listed.
    Frrom Armalite - A slamfire is the unintentional discharge of a cartridge during loading or locking, without
    normal hammer or striker fall.

Good enough?
    TalorS - glad you got it working right. What was the load? Fps? I get ~ 1800 from a 145 PB cast in 1:7 carbine using 4227.

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    From Wiki - A slamfire is a premature, usually unintended discharge of a firearm that occurs as a round is being loaded into the chamber. Causes are then listed.
    Frrom Armalite - A slamfire is the unintentional discharge of a cartridge during loading or locking, without
    normal hammer or striker fall.

Good enough?

Good Job, I am glad you learned something that the rest of us know.

You must know now that a slam fire is a mechanical malfunction (unless it is in a mg, or other gun, that is designed that way) under most all circumstances, and a bump fire is where mechanically sound gun is manipulated (intentional or unintentionally) by the user.

For you second project, go take a close look at the BCG in your AR rifle (assuming you have one). What I want you to discover is how the firing pin does not protrude the bolt face until lock up is made with the locking lugs engage. Reason for this is to better understand how a cartridge that does not seat fully will not be contacted at all by the firing pin, as it not long enough to strike the primer when not fully seated, when the gun is out of battery. Have you also discovered that the firing pin does not have the energy to activate a primer on it's own (without the force of the hammer) yet, or do you still believe that is a strong possibility????

Last edited:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Gee, I thought I'd made that clear - 300BO jammed the ogive - bang. 308 AR jammed the case - BANG. Both ARs were clean & functioning properly, 308 was pointed to the ground @ 45 deg. BO was on bags at the range. Neither had a 'high primer'. Unless you've had one, use duck tape. Reason I posted to TalylorS about his long COAL problem to begin with.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Popper, if those rounds had jammed in the lands and were too long, your guns would not have gone into battery. No way for the pin to reach the primer. if the round couldn't reach the datum on the shoulder, lugs won't close.

So, you blew out both of those case heads since the bolt didn't close?

Duct tape and a high primer? Flush is to high in my opinion, minimum of .0015, prefer .003 as a start point. How do you measure with duct tape?

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    Popper I used 200gr Speer hot-cor lead seated to 2.225" with 9.1 gr 4227 on the hot side no corono but I figure it's about 1175fps or so they would drop off after that the other 4 charges were 8.8 ,8.6 ,8.4, 8.2gr used seller&bellot primers mixed cases I was really pleased with the results

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    Nope it does

You mind sharing this load? I know in my .308 bolt gun it takes about 10.5 grains of trail boss to push a 208grain A-Max to right about 1000fps. As bulky as TB is that amount wont even fit in a .300bo case. The only loads I've seen that work with this powder in a .300bo is with 110gn bullets and even then it takes a lighter buffer, or spring, and an adjustable gas port.

Last edited:

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    That 4227 cycled the rifle flawlessly had some factory subs and they didn't work nearly as well no idea on what they had for a charge or anything but the bullet

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I'm pushing a cast 150 gr PB > 1800 fps with 15.5 IMR 4227, I don't do subs. Yes, Rem subs won't cycle my BO carbine with rifle stock. S&B don't work well for me as I have to turn their necks, ugh.

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    I'm almost out of my 71/2s so I been useing the s&b primers In the rifle stuff

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    Is there a good place to but some 200-208gr boolits I've been having trouble finding stuff that's cheap enough to plink with for the Bo.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    My 300 AC load that cycles the action (lightened bolt) uses max published Trail Boss and 110 gr bullet. It cycles, barely, but works 90% of time. Do not know if the polished interior of upper helped but... I dont argue with it.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    My 300 AC load that cycles the action (lightened bolt) uses max published Trail Boss and 110 gr bullet. It cycles, barely, but works 90% of time. Do not know if the polished interior of upper helped but... I dont argue with it.

Like I said in my earlier post. TB doesn't work without modification to the gun and as you said, its not 100% reliable.

Top Bottom