• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RossA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Houston, Republic of Texas
    I have a Remington 700 in .30-06. I want to stock up on some mil surp ammo just in case. Is it OK to use mil surp M2 Ball ammo in a civilian rifle? Are the pressure specs, headspace, etc, Ok to use in my rifle? Thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

Dragonheart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Katy
    The semi automatic M-1 Garand was designed to use IMR 4895 powder. Using other powders can create a different pressure curve and bend the operating rod. Your 700 is a bolt action and can use higher velocity ammunition. Shooting military ammunition in your 700 is not a problem, but make sure the primer is non-corrosive, otherwise you will have to do a really good job cleaning the rifle and protecting the bore from rust.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Using commercial loads in an m1 garand is dangerous. They were designed with a floating firing pin and the idea in mind of continuing the use of hard and deep seated military primers. When you run commercial ammo through an m1 garand, you run the risk of firing off more than 1 round per trigger squeeze or even all 8 by just pushing the bolt closed.
    If you've already checked to see if the commercial ammo would cycle through the garand (not firing the ammo, just working the charging arm.), take a look at the primers, they will have small pricks on them in the exact spot where the firing pin hit them when you delicately closed the bolt around them.

By delicately I mean not throwing it back and slamming it home with the vigor that movies portray. There is a positive lock when it locks up to battery. But yes, always make sure it locks in. Texas1911 is right. The harder you slam the action in, the more obvious the marks on the primers will become.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You should never "delicately" close an M1 action. That will leave it out of battery more times than not.

Stocking up on M2 ball is fine, you'll have to re-zero for it since it's underpowered compared to most commercial .30-06

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    As stated above, be VERY sure that you're not using corrosive primed cartridges. With ammo prices sky-high, lots of old ammo has been dragged out of storage.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    As stated above, be VERY sure that you're not using corrosive primed cartridges. With ammo prices sky-high, lots of old ammo has been dragged out of storage.

Yep, I would not shoot any .30-cal ammo that is older than 1960 to be certain. The shift was in the mid 50s, but it varies by head stamp.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    You can shoot commercial ammo in a Garand if you use an adjustable gas plug, M2 ball is safe to shoot in any rifle chambered in 30-06, any military 06 made fron 53 and newer is non corrosive. Corrosive primed ammo can be used just clean with a water based solvent or just hot water.

Top Bottom