• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Trying to find an OEM oil cooler for a 2016 Ram 1500. It's on backorder through NAPA and even the dealership said it's backordered and they have a handful of vehicles needing them replaced. Anybody have a reputable source that's not Amazon?
    Texas SOT

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Trying to find an OEM oil cooler for a 2016 Ram 1500. It's on backorder through NAPA and even the dealership said it's backordered and they have a handful of vehicles needing them replaced. Anybody have a reputable source that's not Amazon?

Have you checked with any of the good reputable local radiator shops?
    Maybe a junkyard?

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Have you checked with any of the good reputable local radiator shops?
    Maybe a junkyard?

Unfortunately it's a common issue and seems to be a case of "it's going to leak at some point". That being said going used probably isn't going to be a good plan.

It's not the standard radiator style oil cooler and uses the engines coolant for cooling so don't think a radiator shop is the way to go.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Setrab is a quality brand oil cooler that is used in aircraft and race car applications.

Look ar Pegasus Auto, Summit, Jegs ... a couple hundred bucks.

Earls has any adaptor you can want if the oil lines are not standard.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Setrab is a quality brand oil cooler that is used in aircraft and race car applications.

Look ar Pegasus Auto, Summit, Jegs ... a couple hundred bucks.

Earls has any adaptor you can want if the oil lines are not standard.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Not sure how I would make that work, there are no lines and the thing bolts to the top of the motor under the intake and also contains the filter housing.

Attachments

• 71tYgSiHqbL._AC_SX355_.jpg
      71tYgSiHqbL._AC_SX355_.jpg
      13.3 KB · Views: 89

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Did you try Rock Auto, or Ebay? I have had good luck in the past with both for vehicle parts. And sometimes the prices will beat dealership or auto parts store prices, even on factory parts.

Years ago, I needed head bolts for my Isuzu Trooper. They are a torque to yield bolt, meaning they should be only used once and replaced. Dealership wanted over $200 for the head bolt kit. Bought a kit off Ebay, and they were factory head bolts for about $50.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I went to Youtube because I din't know how the factory cooler was oriented.

Those rat bastards designed a multi use unit instead of a radiator style that fits in front of the radiator.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Mercedes uses a similar unit like that for an oil ccooler. What a stupid setup. The seal rings turn hard as a rock after a couple years of heat cycling.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Did you try Rock Auto, or Ebay? I have had good luck in the past with both for vehicle parts. And sometimes the prices will beat dealership or auto parts store prices, even on factory parts.

Years ago, I needed head bolts for my Isuzu Trooper. They are a torque to yield bolt, meaning they should be only used once and replaced. Dealership wanted over $200 for the head bolt kit. Bought a kit off Ebay, and they were factory head bolts for about $50.

Yeah, checked RockAuto and they're out of stock as well and I just get the heaby jeabies about auto parts from Ebay, especially where the life blood of my vehicle is going to be circulating through it.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I think the worst part about it is that I have the skills to build and design a conversion kit to just get rid of that crap design and go with a real oil cooler and remote filter, but what I lack is the equipment. The motor itself is pretty solid and used in everything from the Chargers to 1/2 ton trucks including Jeeps and Caravans, i'm not the only one with the issue from what I've been able to tell so I feel like a conversion would sell well if done and priced right.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Have you tried Mopar parts or factory Mopar direct? Google the specific part number and you'll sometimes find an online stealership with a decent price. The 3.6 was used on many models so Ram or Jeep (JK model) forums may have discussions on the best place to find one.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Have you tried Mopar parts or factory Mopar direct? Google the specific part number and you'll sometimes find an online stealership with a decent price. The 3.6 was used on many models so Ram or Jeep (JK model) forums may have discussions on the best place to find one.
    Not yet, now that the snow is gone I'll be getting more saddle time on the bike.

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Just a little update to anyone listening, called Napa stores here locally, in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado as well as dealerships. The story is that production is backordered somewhere around 38000 units until AT LEAST the middle of March. The cause, take a wild guess, go ahead I'll wait...

..."supply chain issues."

I'm so tired of hearing that load of bullshit.

Anyway, did the only thing I could think of to do and filed a complaint with the NHTSA. It looked like I wasn't the first person. So now once it's fixed I'll be considering trading this thing in on a Dodge without the 3.6 liter.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think you're stuck waiting. It is definitely the Achilles heel of that engine. The plastic housing crumbles like a cookie where the coolant ports meet the top of the engine. Even if you find an o ring set to seal it you'll just discover that the plastic around them is already gone.

Eventually you will want to stop driving it to save yourself the cost of a head gasket. In the meantime, just keep adding coolant as needed if you must drive it. At least it's about the highest point in the engine but once it gets to temp and pressurizes it will leak all the same.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    It's actually at the shop now waiting for parts, I had it towed. As soon as it's fixed it's getting traded in for something without that engine.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Every since they partnered up with Fiat some of their products have gone down hill.
    I would disagree. I wouldn't touch a dodge from the 2000's. Shitty broken dashes, head warping 4.7, lack luster transmission. But I own a 15 Ram Sport. Post Fiat, Leather wrapped dash, at least in my trim, huge brakes across all models, better quality infotainment centers than most cars, etc. I hate to say FIAT of all people helped, but they did. I fix cars everyday for a living, and all the Rams ever need are brakes and exhaust manifold bolts. GM's leak more oil than volkswagens, and I see a lot of poor interior materials failing. Ford's are another animal.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think specifically of the Dodge dart and it's famous clutch failure. We had one with brand new slave that failed when bleeding. Just blew out. The dealer said it happens to them just about every other install and they have no real fix. It's 100% Fiat built trans. Of course the slave is internal so that's always fun.

Also the first 500 I worked on had multiple engine/trans mount failures. Oe replacements we're almost double in size. Tells me they were built wrong from the start. It was also low mileage.

Not sure where the engineering snafu of the coolers started but every 3.6 motor with any mileage has had them replaced multiple times or at least once every 60-80k.

My personal 2003 Dakota is about to pass 285k on original trans and engine. Never replaced anything but ps pump, water pump and alternator but not til after 200k. Starter, mounts, distributor and all ac stuff still original.

I guess we all have our own first hand experiences with cars. All the other guys but myself and the shop foreman are Toyota fan boys. We are the Dodge truck owners. It's funny you mention the dash thing. Mine finally bowed up and cracked to pieces during this last freeze. Turned on the defrost after warming up and it broke spoke by spoke until a piece fell into the duct.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom