Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'm not sure if the 6.4 was worse or equally shitty as the 6.0
    Worse in my opinion.

All 4 6.0s I ran had issues but I didn't keep them long enough to get into serious work.

Ford put 4 engines in the 6.4 I owned. All warranty thankfully. Had it 140k miles and Ford spent more money fixing it than I paid for it.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Not real picky. I just need a truck for pulling a dump trailer.

Mechanical is more important to me than body condition

I don't really care what brand it is.

Only no go is a 1/2 ton

So if you are thinking of selling or trading one in hit me up.

Or if you know of one for sale let me.know.

Thanks
    My old 1969 Ford 1/2 ton would work circles around most new 3/4 tons. But they are hard to find now and way overpriced. I wish I still had mine.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I've been offered a 6.7L 4x4 club cab for $2k and I still don't want it. Drops a valve, needs a block?

Trucks with a "build date" prior to 3/11 that were a part of the valve problem on passenger side.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Worse in my opinion.

All 4 6.0s I ran had issues but I didn't keep them long enough to get into serious work.

Ford put 4 engines in the 6.4 I owned. All warranty thankfully. Had it 140k miles and Ford spent more money fixing it than I paid for it.
    Grandparents bought a brand new F250 with a 6.4 that was great at first and ran excellent. For some reason it started to derate itself going down the road until it shut off. It also have problems with the DPF system. It wasn't worked hard either just hauling mesquite firewood on a bumper pull trailer occasionally. Grandpa finally had enough and traded it for a new Silverado dually with a Duramax that gave him zero issues.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Grandparents bought a brand new F250 with a 6.4 that was great at first and ran excellent. For some reason it started to derate itself going down the road until it shut off. It also have problems with the DPF system. It wasn't worked hard either just hauling mesquite firewood on a bumper pull trailer occasionally. Grandpa finally had enough and traded it for a new Silverado dually with a Duramax that gave him zero issues.
    DPF can be a headache when they decide to act up. I put a tuner in my 08 Dodge. Not for perormance as much as an easy way to monitor DPF and force a regen when it would not do so on its own.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My old 1969 Ford 1/2 ton would work circles around most new 3/4 tons. But they are hard to find now and way overpriced. I wish I still had mine.
    I am going to contest that truck's ability but can appreciate your fond memories of it.

Most new 3/4 ton trucks run $50k for the base model. You can't find a '69 for less than that? If it's a better truck it would be a steal.

Nobody is running a 55 year old truck to do any serious work. There's a reason for that.

Top Bottom