Patriot Mobile

.243 / 7mm-08. How often does THIS happen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajuntec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    San Antonio TX
    I finally located a few boxes of 7mm-08 tonight at Wal Mart. I don't know why - force of habit due to some previous deformed Remington 40 cal rounds I guess - but I always open every box and check the rounds before buying.

Glad I did tonight. I was checking the rounds in the box (Winchester Power Point), and my eyes caught the writing on one round - .243. HUH???
    eek.gif

I pulled it out and put it side by side with the 7mm-08. They looked identical. The cases looked the exact same size, and the bullets looked identical too. Same OAL when I stood them up side by side. I showed the counter guy, and he set it aside and called his manager while getting me a fresh box. This time HE opened the box before handing it to me - he knew I was going to check every box closely after that.
    biggrin.gif

How often does something like this happen? I don't own a .243, so I don't know what that round should look like. I didn't think about it at the time, but I wish I had asked him to get a box of .243 so I could compare that round side by side to see what the differences were.

All the best,
    Glenn

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    The short answer is that the .243 is a .308 Winchester necked down, just as the 7mm-08 is a necked down .308 case. It appears they mixed in a .243 case during production. That's the first time I've heard of a wrong headstamp in a factory box of shells. The store should email the mfg with the lot number so they check their quality control process.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom