• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Today marks the 11th consecutive day that Academy had .22 LR (either Federal, CCI, Winchester, & Aquila) on the shelf and no people lined up at the door. Some days they only had one flavor, but since the 4th, they had multiple selections up till about 10:00 a.m.

The wave might have crested.

Don't expect prices to drop any time soon. The Manufacturers, Distributors, and Retailers have good sales records for the last 19 months to know how much we will pay for .22 LR at a retail store.

They never tried to gouge us, and all those folks who paid 2-3x retail to scalpers will be pissed when they find that same ammo on shelves without limits this fall.

The scalpers will try to unload their ungodly quantities of .22 LR next month at gun shows, flea markets, and on-line message boards. They will drop their prices to $.15 per round, but no one will buy when they can get it readily for $.05 at a store.

We can wait them out, and they will have to sell at cost or less.

The bubble is bursting.

The supply will be fully restored in September 2014.
    Lynx Defense

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Conroe Academy had 3 300 rd packs of Mini Mag HP's and CCI AR tactical each when I went in today. I got one box of Mini Mags and the other 2 sold while I was there. They also had a large quantity of .17 HMR on the shelf.
    More rimfire there than I have seen anywhere in a long time.

cryption

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Houston
    Be careful cryption, some of those Federal boxes are only 40 rounds. They look like 50 count size but are not.........................learned that myself the hard way.

I had had no idea, I'll have to be sure next time.

Went to to the Academy at I10 and bunker Hill today. They had the Aguilla match stuff but wanted $6 for a 50count. Above my .22 price limit. Thankfully I was there for 12ga.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Went to to the Academy at I10 and bunker Hill today. They had the Aguilla match stuff but wanted $6 for a 50count. Above my .22 price limit. Thankfully I was there for 12ga.

Yeah, I picked up a few boxes because I'm looking for better-performing stuff. Shot it today and it wasn't anything special, at least in my 10/22.

cryption

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Houston
    I've had the same experience as you. I typically shoot a Ruger SR-22 or a beloved 10/22 and I'll throw the cheapest stuff I can find and the guns cycle and perform about the same as every other round.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The local Academy actually had 22LR this morning.

Grabbed a couple of 50rd Aquila High Velocity. Curious how this stuff rates against CCI Mini-Mags.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Academy in Abilene had a butt load of 22 lr today
    they have had a couple hundred 50 round boxes of mixed ammo for weeks now and today they had about 30 of the Federal Match 325 round boxes and nobody was in line or making a big deal out of it.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    If they're quiet, do they still go "plink" ? Maybe plink

Don't know, will compare them to some Remington SubSonics I have stashed. Hopefully they will be as good or better out of a suppressed rifle and the most noise I will hear will be the sound the bullet hitting the target.

Label says 40gr lead round nose, 710 fps.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Don't know, will compare them to some Remington SubSonics I have stashed. Hopefully they will be as good or better out of a suppressed rifle and the most noise I will hear will be the sound the bullet hitting the target.

Label says 40gr lead round nose, 710 fps.

I tried some of those but they didn't shoot too well for me. From my Ammo Test Day write-up:

"The Quiet-22 was a pain in the butt because I shot five rounds just trying to get it sighted in (came up 14 clicks on my red dot!) and then it was too light a load to cycle the action so I had to do each one by hand. If you want the experience of a bolt-action rifle with your 10/22 just get some of this stuff."

This was at 50 yards:

2Target3.jpg

Last edited:

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    Went by academy this morning, guy asked me if I wanted some .22: yep, and he started reaching for the blazers: seemed to shock him a little when I told him to get the federal match instead...

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Went yesterday - nada on the .22's, but they've doubled the shelf size for handgun ammo. Lots of everything.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My local Academy has had 22 just about every time I go in there. I usually don't buy unless its the 325 CCI pack. (with Troy on it of course)

Feels good to see so much ammo around again. But I am realistic in knowing it could happen again.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I am happy to pick up fifty rounds at a time if that is all there is. It all adds up over time, especially if you don't have to go out of your way to find it.

This month alone, I have found .22 LR of various brands every day except for July 13.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    OnyxATX.. the Academy on 183 near Spicewood Springs also seems to be getting into reloading.. They had primers too on the shelf.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I couldn't believe it but the local Academy actually had Mini-Mags in stock. For maybe twenty minutes. I scored one box of 300. That's all they would allow.
    Called the Mrs. and before she could get there they were sold out!

Top Bottom