• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Does anyone have any experience using this powder for reloading .223 Rem/5.56 Nato?

I have a pound and a half or so of Herc 2400 powder that I have had for a few years from back when I was reloading .357 Mag. The powder has always been stored inside and one container has never been opened. I just started reloading .223 Remington and in my research, I ran across a recipe in the Lee manual (also in the load charts that came with the Lee die set) using 13.4 gr start/14 gr max of Herc 2400 pushing a 55 gr @ 2.215 OAL. The Alliant website shows a recipe using this powder with the .22 hornet as well as the .30 cal M1 and my Lyman 49th shows using this powder with smaller caliber rifle loads also. Since I do not load .357 anymore, and this powder is not suitable for the 9mm or .45 acp, I was thinking of trying some with the 5.56 Nato brass I have and some Golden West 55 gr FMJBT bullets. I have loaded some .45 acp with some Bullseye that I have that I got at the same time as the 2400 and it works great when I use an old reload recipe I have from back then that calls for a charge just below the minimum load that is called out in current Bullseye load charts today.

I am thinking about making a few loads using 12.6 gr of the Herc 2400 at the same OAL called out in the Lee manual and see how they fly. Any thoughts?
    ARJ Defense ad

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    I'm sure you can make it work for you.

The thing I dislike about 2400 is it burns very dirty. For this reason, I don't use 2400 in anything anymore.

Brad

Top Bottom