Capitol Armory ad

.223 minimum loads: They really mean minimum!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So I finally got around to shooting some of the .223 that I loaded months ago. I don't remember exactly the recipe, but 55 grain bullets, Wolf small rifle primers and I went just a hair above the minimum powder charge suggested for what I was using.

The stuff wouldn't cycle my rifle and sounded like .22 LR. I guess they meant "minimum to get it out of the barrel".

If someone's got a suppressor and wants to try some real quiet loads, let me know and we'll burn the rest of these before I try again. We'll probably have to run it like a single shot (but it might cycle with a can on), but it should be crazy quiet.
    Target Sports

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Could you see the bullets midflight?

What we you trying for, less muzzle flip, saving powder, or just loading light for the helluvit?

I usually load midrange. That seems to be the best compromise, cycles actions reliably and the best accuracy.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Could you see the bullets midflight?

What we you trying for, less muzzle flip, saving powder, or just loading light for the helluvit?

I usually load midrange. That seems to be the best compromise, cycles actions reliably and the best accuracy.

Haha, no. I couldn't see them mid-flight (though I only did any shooting at 25 yards) and they did sound like they made it supersonic. But coming out of a barrel with a brake on it, they were way too damn quiet, haha. They hit point of aim at 25 yards every time, though. No shotgun shell was safe on that berm. It just took me a little while to reload for the next one.

This was my first try at .223. I was using the experience I got loading .45 ACP by the same basic formula (my notes on that are at my friend's house, but it's a 185 JHP with a near-minimum powder charge), and that turned out great. Everything we tried it in functioned, it went bang every pull of the trigger and it hit where you told it to go. Basically, I was mostly trying to save on powder. I don't need something really powerful, I just need to put 55 grain FMJ out the end of the barrel and have my rifle get the next round loaded.

I'm figuring out that loading for a rifle is different...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    same here, been loading 45 acp and just started .223, gonna shoot some in the morning and see how they run

.45 was easy. I've run into a learning curve with .223.

I might just be saying that because the first recipe I tried with .45 only had to be adjusted for OAL because they were too long to load in a P220 magazine. Now I just use a P220 magazine as my OAL gauge. :p

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Powder type is a big factor as well as charge level. Reloading for the AR is definitely a notch above reloading for a bolt action 223. Some very accurate powder behind a 223 projectile will still short-stroke an ARs gas system. IMR4198 comes to mind. I have found low charge loads to be just as or more dangerous than full power ones. You won't find me settling on a low power load just to save some powder. I prefer function/reliabilty over economy. Stick with H335 or Win 748 and you can probably still run lighter charges through your AR. I don't own a can, I own earmuffs.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've been using H335 on mine. I really like the performance. No cycling issues, but most important, they are crazy accurate. I shot sub 1" groups, and a buddy shot a trespassing sign at 260 yds

I load 23.8g of H335 with a Nosler Ballistic Tip 55g bullet. I used Lake City cases, and Rem bench rest primers. I only shoot the 55g bullets in mine. They just seem to be really accurate in my AR.

You should note that I loaded these at 2.2 OAL, but they would not load in my Rock River Wylde chamber. I think if you have a Wylde, you should go shorter. I shot them in my target barrel.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Rifle powders do not like low load density. Most operate best at 90+% case capacity (after bullet seating). To hear a LITTLE movement of powder shake around inside is fine. Low density loads (with a lot of air left over inside) can lead to erratic pressures, High pressure spikes, Squib loads, poor accuracy and (as you found) inability to cycle a semi auto action.

YES, they do really mean MINIMUM

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Basically, I was mostly trying to save on powder.

You can also look at velocity versus grains as an alternative to simply the minimum load. In other words, you are basing the cost on FPS/gr rather than just per grain. For instance, if you were to load AA2230 and H335 to the same weight, you'd get more velocity out of the 2230 and if it is more accurate for you, perhaps those pennies are worth it in the end. I've tested almost every powder in 223 for 55gr FMJs and almost without exception the best performance, both from a statistical and accuracy perspective, is found in the mid-zone of the published loads. Try doing the same exercise for cost and performance in the middle and I bet you'll be happier with the results.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks, guys. I just got my reloading gear moved indoors today (air conditioning!) and plan on trying some mid-weight loads to see what happens.

Powder is Accurate 2230, running 55 grain FMJ. Not too concerned about accuracy... yet.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    2230 is one of the best powders for all-round 223 loads in my opinion. The velocity is fantastic and with a good bullet you'll hit 3200FPS out of a standard AR and drive them into 1" groups without an issue. Good choice, I think many of the AA powders are underated.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thanks, guys. I just got my reloading gear moved indoors today (air conditioning!) and plan on trying some mid-weight loads to see what happens.

Powder is Accurate 2230, running 55 grain FMJ. Not too concerned about accuracy... yet.

I did my standard thing to get my favorite load. One of my manuals indicated H335 was the most accurate powder tested, so I went with that one.

Then I loaded 4 sets of 5 rounds, each set being .5g of powder apart. Then I shot each group at its own target. The target with the tightest group was the winner. I loaded using the load data for that set as my primary load.

Each gun is a little different. 23.8g of powder will shoot a little different in my gun than it does yours. Using the method above, allows you to "tune" the load to your gun.

I've been doing this on all my guns to get the most accurate load. I read about it in an article somewhere. It's kind of fun to see the difference a half grain of powder makes. It's even more fun to find that perfect load for your gun.

Top Bottom