• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've never owned a 22 mag but it's on the short list. I've been thinking about a single six but have also considered an AMT automag or PMR-30. Even leverguns and semi-autos interest me in this chambering. BUT...are you really gaining much over the 22 LR and is it worth the $ per rd. ? Accuracy-wise, standard velocity ammo(~1050 fps) is very impressive in the 22 LR. At about 800-900 fps more, can the 22wmr achieve the same results ? Either way, I'm sure I'll get one soon and do some first hand data gathering. If you have one, what do you like or dislike about it ?
    Hurley's Gold

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Pistols might be less spectacular than you are thinking, but the rifles are great. It's a pretty serious cartridge in a rifle.

I've shot a couple bolt actions and couldn't tell the difference in accuracy between any other gun I was shooting that day. Great... Thanks for reminding me that I need to put a .22 mag on my list too :mad:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The .22 LR is so cheap and plentiful that it's almost a requirement to own at least one. It's great for targets and small game.

Once you step up to the magnums, the cost begins going up, and it's never going to give you the increase in performance that corresponds to the increase in cost. It's also great for targets and small game, but it doesn't extend beyond that. Does that mean you should avoid it? No. If you want to shoot the WMR, then do it! Just don't expect some great increase in performance over the LR.

If there was an ideal caliber, then everyone would own that and nobody would bother will all those other sizes. Every cartridge has a range of performance in which it does well. Be realistic about your expectations and if you can shoot a particular cartridge and hit where you aim consistently, then be happy with it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    .22 WMR is more of a niche round to me.

I have nothing bad to say about them except the are loud as f**k in a revolver, lol.

My dad had a ruger .22 mag bolt action for a while. With a weaver K4 I was able to keep 5 rnds in 1" on a calm day at 100 yrds. I saw it as more of a small game/varmint round with a more limited range but less destruction of meat and fur 9depending on ammo choice). Made a pretty good truck gun for a while, I wouldn't mind having another but it's just too far down the list.

A .22 doesn't come close, but a .22 mag isn't anywhere close to .22 hornet or other center fire round.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I'll have to disagree (gently) that the increase in performance is insignificant. Velocity is 150% and energy is 250%. If we were comparing most any other pair of cartidges, I think we'd agree that's significant. That's not to say that the 22WMR will ever be a deer cartridge.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Hey mikeofcontex, what kind of rig are you testing the caliber with ? I decided to test the waters with a single six ss w/5.5" bbl. The convertible cylinder will give me a chance to chrono several loads to compare. Thanks for the heads up younggun, I do shoot my 22s without E.P. sometimes. The Fiocchi loads I recently bought were about 7.50 per box of 50. I've had good experiences with the brand in the past. I'm not expecting miracles but I'm hoping for a lot more "pop" than the 22lr delivers. Still cheaper than shooting the 9mm...unless they're reloads.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    .22 Mag is a blast, if you want to pay the bucks.

That round put more squirrels and rabbits on the table with fewer follow-up shots.

One solid hit: Done.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I looked up Federal ballistics and I'm guessing that they are for rifle. If you're using 22WMR in a pistol, there are reports that there isn't (wasn't) any pistol specific loads. In that case, too much of the energy comes out the end of the barrel. It seems like someone, that I can't remember, is beginning to load specifically for pistols (I'm thinking that the PMR-30 might be the reason).

I love it in rifles and my High Standard 9" barreled pistol does just fine with them.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Got a Colt SSA with both a .22LR and a .22 Mag cylinder, and a Henry Golden Boy in .22 Mag also. Had a Automag II in .22 Mag. Lots of fire coming out those barrels. Love em', but don't shoot them much.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I have a 4" S&W 651 that I really like. Its as accurate as any .22 revolver I've ever used - except for my K-22.
    It makes an excellent field gun. Lots more oomph that a .22LR. They are loud.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'll have to disagree (gently) that the increase in performance is insignificant.

I'll also disagree, but less gently. The terminal effectiveness of a 22WMR is significantly greater than 22LR. Try knocking down steel rams at 100yds with 22LR, then try it with 22WMR. Fired from same length barrels of my CZ452 rifles, the difference is plainly obvious (multiple shots with 22LR to drop them, 22WMR drops them with one shot with authority). I've also taken 150+ pound hogs at 50-70 yards with 22WMR that would have never dropped with 22LR.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    I'll also disagree, but less gently. The terminal effectiveness of a 22WMR is significantly greater than 22LR. Try knocking down steel rams at 100yds with 22LR, then try it with 22WMR. Fired from same length barrels of my CZ452 rifles, the difference is plainly obvious (multiple shots with 22LR to drop them, 22WMR drops them with one shot with authority). I've also taken 150+ pound hogs at 50-70 yards with 22WMR that would have never dropped with 22LR.

This! I bought one of those cheap 22 LR targets from Academy for my some Ti shoot at with my Ruger 10/22. Makes a nice little gong and flips up and stays with the 22 LR. Decided to shoot at it with my Marlin 22 mag; bad idea. Bent the crap out of the little gongs to the point they were no longer usable. Put some serious dings in the plate whereas the 22LR just splattered against them.

Sent from iPhone/Tapatalk

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I like 'em, but never had much need for one. It would be low on my list. All just depends on what you like. They are quite a bit stouter than 22LR.

My grandpa always kept a rifle in 22mag in the truck for shooting any coyotes he saw when checking on the cows. Seemed to work, they always died.

Of course, I dropped plenty with a plain old 22LR as well. Just have to be more particular about your shot; a little harder if they're moving.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Yep, loud little suckers in a pistol. My .38 and .45 loads aren't as loud as a .22mag.
    Sure is a fine long gun round though.
    If I had a mind to I'd try a .22 Hornet. (just might someday)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I really like the round. More capable than .22lr, but it doesn't really take up any more space. I love the fact that the PMR-30 holds 30 rounds in what is a pretty normal sized pistol grip. Coming out of the short pistol barrel isn't where the round really shines, tho. It really needs a rifle length barrel. I just wish they'd bring the 10/22 mag back. You can't find them anywhere.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It really needs a rifle length barrel. I just wish they'd bring the 10/22 mag back. You can't find them anywhere.

Have you thought about a CZ-512 semi-automatic in .22 magnum? They are sweet little guns.

How handy are you? Want a project?

Here is a link to a company that will sell you most of the needed parts to built you own. Bad news it requires some effort to finish the 80% receiver and put it together, good news is you don't have to use a FFL, no serial number (unless you want to sell it), and it's truly a custom build to your own specifications.

https://ruger1022receiver.3dcartstores.com/Kit-22-WMR-MAGNUM-Receiver-Anodized-Black-_p_41.html

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Yep, loud little suckers in a pistol. My .38 and .45 loads aren't as loud as a .22mag.
    Sure is a fine long gun round though.
    If I had a mind to I'd try a .22 Hornet. (just might someday)

My BIL has a 22 Hornet. Now THAT. is a great round. Its in a Savage bolt action, and is crazy accurate. More pop than the 22 Mag, but I have also toyed with the idea of owning a 22mag. But, I think I would rather have the Hornet. I have not bought either. There are NO small game that the 22, with a nicely placed head shot, cannot bring down with less damage than the 22mag.

Top Bottom