• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoomanderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Houston
    Hello all,
    Let me preface this by saying that this is the excuse I used to buy our Ruger Mark III; I didn't think I'd fall so head over heals for that gun, so it's going to become a target pistol project. Working off the thread about getting the spouse/significant other more into shooting, I want to get my wife something that is HERS; I'm looking at primarily the Sig Mosquito and the Ruger SR-22. The Baretta Neos looks interesting, as well. I haven't been impressed by the Walther p22 reviews. Any feedback on what I've listedd here, or other suggestions I'm not aware of?
    Thanks!
    DK Firearms

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    First off if you've fallen in love with the Ruger Mark III why look at other guns? Get her one or even better a MKII.

SR-22 is a great gun but isn't a target pistol, more of a plinker than a target shooter. Sights are good, not great, it's light, more perceived recoil sight base is short.

If you want a great target pistol, and don't want another Ruger, try a Buckmark. I love mine, even gave up a bull barrel Ruger MKII cause it wouldn't get shot.

If you'd like something really radical and different try to find a kel tec pmr 30. Flame throwing 22 fun.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    First off if you've fallen in love with the Ruger Mark III why look at other guns? Get her one or even better a MKII.

SR-22 is a great gun but isn't a target pistol, more of a plinker than a target shooter. Sights are good, not great, it's light, more perceived recoil sight base is short.

If you want a great target pistol, and don't want another Ruger, try a Buckmark. I love mine, even gave up a bull barrel Ruger MKII cause it wouldn't get shot.

If you'd like something really radical and different try to find a kel tec pmr 30. Flame throwing 22 fun.

Plus 1 on everything he just said. I had a ruger sr-22 an the wife loved it. I liked it but not enough tO keep it. The keltec is crazy fun and I won't give mine up for anything. Also had a buckmark years ago that I really regret selling.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I'm going to try the Smith and Wesson M22A 107412 22LR 5.5 AS BLK/GY 156691 $240.29 shipped.....HERE..(was going to provide link but they raised the price $30 since yesterday when I bought it !! never mind.) The MRS just didn't like the round profile of the Ruger Mark's. The S&W was the cheapest plinker with a decent reputation. I'm going to give it a try.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    First off if you've fallen in love with the Ruger Mark III why look at other guns? Get her one or even better a MKII.SR-22 is a great gun but isn't a target pistol, more of a plinker than a target shooter. Sights are good, not great, it's light, more perceived recoil sight base is short.If you want a great target pistol, and don't want another Ruger, try a Buckmark. I love mine, even gave up a bull barrel Ruger MKII cause it wouldn't get shot.If you'd like something really radical and different try to find a kel tec pmr 30. Flame throwing 22 fun.
    This is dead on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Hello all,
    Let me preface this by saying that this is the excuse I used to buy our Ruger Mark III; I didn't think I'd fall so head over heals for that gun, so it's going to become a target pistol project. Working off the thread about getting the spouse/significant other more into shooting, I want to get my wife something that is HERS; I'm looking at primarily the Sig Mosquito and the Ruger SR-22. The Baretta Neos looks interesting, as well. I haven't been impressed by the Walther p22 reviews. Any feedback on what I've listedd here, or other suggestions I'm not aware of?
    Thanks!

Have you taken her to a large shop and let her hold everything you listed? I'm all about brand. I love Ruger. However, your wife isn't you or me. I suggest you let her pick it.

She might like the feel of one over the other. And the "one" might not be your favorite brand.

Think about this for a moment. How many men could buy a purse for a women...That they would love right from the start? No matter how much research you did, or reviews from other women?

I say, "I love it" to alot of crap my girlfriend gets me. Even though I hate it. Just explain the quality between the guns and let her pick what she wants.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Have you taken her to a large shop and let her hold everything you listed? I'm all about brand. I love Ruger. However, your wife isn't you or me. I suggest you let her pick it.

She might like the feel of one over the other. And the "one" might not be your favorite brand.

Think about this for a moment. How many men could buy a purse for a women...That they would love right from the start? No matter how much research you did, or reviews from other women?

I say, "I love it" to alot of crap my girlfriend gets me. Even though I hate it. Just explain the quality between the guns and let her pick what she wants.

^^ BINGO. I wanted a ruger mark iii. Wife couldn't stand the look of the marks. I bought her what she wanted.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    ^^ BINGO. I wanted a ruger mark iii. Wife couldn't stand the look of the marks. I bought her what she wanted.

I had my wife fall in love with a Taurus. Not Glock, Springfield, Not even HK. A freakin' Taurus. I would have GLADLY spent an extra $500 just to keep her away from that damn pistol.

I hate Taurus so much...I'll have it inscribed so on my tombstone. But OH NO....it felt good in her hand. And to tell her otherwise would be like yelling at a house cat.....it just stares at you like your a dumbass.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    I had my wife fall in love with a Taurus. Not Glock, Springfield, Not even HK. A freakin' Taurus. I would have GLADLY spent an extra $500 just to keep her away from that damn pistol.

I hate Taurus so much...I'll have it inscribed so on my tombstone. But OH NO....it felt good in her hand. And to tell her otherwise would be like yelling at a house cat.....it just stares at you like your a dumbass.

LOL. Are we related?? My wife's first pistol she bought, a stainless Taurus PT92 shoots 8" low at 7 yards. BUT SHE LOVES IT BECAUSE ITS SHINY AND IT WAS HER FIRST. Every time I mention we have to return it or sell it on with a disclaimer, I get "the look". My first Taurus, a new model 85 stainless suffered from timing issues. I, needless to say, don't suffer the same 'ism the Mrs does lol.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    I'd look at the 22/45. Less expensive than a MkIII but almost as accurate. Keep it in the Ruger family!

I have one and it's my first choice over any of the MkIII or the custom 45/22 conversions I have. I have a reflex sight on the 22/45 and it rocks.

Brad

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    What does she want to do with it? Carry it? Learn to shoot with it? Target shoot? Plinking? Bedside gun?? Critters in the yard?

I got a Walther P22 and really like it. Don't believe all you read about them being bad, they work great and easy to fit with a suppressor. My Buckmark and Ruger MKII are also good guns, just built for different purposes. A SSA .22 is also a fun gun, but might not be as practical as the others. Have you all considered a 9 shot .22lr DA revolver??

However you may want to look into another option, does she have a full power handgun? I've got a .22 LR conversion on a Beretta 92FS that gives all the benefits of a .22, yet allows practice with a full sized gun. There are also .22LR kits for Glocks and 1911's that you might consider. Easy to switch out between the self defense gun ready to defend, and a .22 for lots of cheap practice. Might be a way to introduce her to full power cartridges if she is not comfortable with them yet.

Lots of choices out there..............

zoomanderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Houston
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys (and sorry for not chiming back in yesterday). This is more of a weapon that she will be able to shoot comfortably at the range, but also small enough for carry if she should decide to do so in the future. I understand the need for this to be HER gun and it should therefore be her choice as to which one she likes/wants, but I'm not going to buy or willingly let her buy a piece of crap. That's why I included a few choices in my initial post. Now that I think about it, I'd prefer to get her something I'm not particularly fond of so that I'm not asking if I can take it to the range all the time.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom