• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    So I use one nesting box to stuff trash into. I changed out my pine chips a while ago and had all the TS bags stuffed in a nest box the hens never use. I have a hen that decided to be broody and was going to try and get her to stop so I moved her out of the box and moved all the trash into the one she was using. When pushing on the Pine shaving bag I felt a strange soft "log" in it and my first thought was what the hell. I pushed it into the box and this fellow came out to say hi. and crawled back into the junk. At 4am I did not much care what he was I was not going to mess with him and hope he eats a rat or 2 along with stealing eggs ? He did not seem aggressive. I am not a Snek person. Should I be worried lol.

I am guessing rat snek

View attachment 448485 View attachment 448486
    Rat Snake. I would relocate him away from any chicks/eggs

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I remember in the 60's a friend of my Dad's was splitting kindling with a hatchet, he reached for a stick and a coral snake bit him on the end of his thumb. Old Boy laid his hand on the stump and chopped his thumb right off. He drove himself to ER with the thumb in his handkerchief and the Dr. told him there was enough poison in that thumb to kill 4 big men.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Found some evidence yesterday. I weed wacked half off the ditch then went to get lunch. Came back to finish up and this was laying where I had already cut. So it had shed after I cut and left. Pretty cool but I would have liked to see it happening.
    20240425_072531.jpg

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    So I use one nesting box to stuff trash into. I changed out my pine chips a while ago and had all the TS bags stuffed in a nest box the hens never use. I have a hen that decided to be broody and was going to try and get her to stop so I moved her out of the box and moved all the trash into the one she was using. When pushing on the Pine shaving bag I felt a strange soft "log" in it and my first thought was what the hell. I pushed it into the box and this fellow came out to say hi. and crawled back into the junk. At 4am I did not much care what he was I was not going to mess with him and hope he eats a rat or 2 along with stealing eggs ? He did not seem aggressive. I am not a Snek person. Should I be worried lol.

I am guessing rat snek

View attachment 448485 View attachment 448486

pics texas rat snake

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    That sounds heart attack inducing, almost as bad as waking up surrounded by rattlesnakes.

I've got a friend in Phoenix that tells me the scoripons are terrible there, especially in his neighborhood. That and rattlesnakes.
    supposedly there are rattlesnakes in east texas but in over sixty years in this area i have never yet seen one!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    supposedly there are rattlesnakes in east texas but in over sixty years in this area i have never yet seen one!

Welps, logic (and snakes I've seen relocated on shows like Lone Star Law or whatever that show following the game wardens is called) dictates there should be rattlers there. There's rattlers in western Looosiana, rattlers on Okiehoma and Arrrr-kansas (is Arkansas home to a bunch of pirates who couldn't spell that wandered too far inland, or just a bunch of cousin-humping Oklahomans that got lost? Inquiring minds want to know - as I've got family in both states) - I'd say its probably your good luck you've not encountered them, unless of course you WANT to encounter them, in which case is bad luck.

Could be the rattlers there are just real good at hide & seek.

I've had one run in with a rattler on our property a few years ago, and my pop used to work over on the east side of our lil town and said they "removed" rattlers and other snakes fairly often from the machinery and all the pallets of equipment in the yard (drilling motors & shit, lots of pallets and equipment laying about) - you didn't climb into a piece of equipment without checking first for slithery friends.

Every once in a while I remember @Hoji mentioning how he removed a damned Gaboon viper from under a house some time back, because a pet shop in our area keeps a bunch of snakes like that, horned vipers, gaboons, and a few varieties of cobra + snakes native to the US (rattlers, coppers, cottons, hybrids) and it could get real sporty if that building ever got wrecked by a storm.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I remember in the 60's a friend of my Dad's was splitting kindling with a hatchet, he reached for a stick and a coral snake bit him on the end of his thumb. Old Boy laid his hand on the stump and chopped his thumb right off. He drove himself to ER with the thumb in his handkerchief and the Dr. told him there was enough poison in that thumb to kill 4 big men.
    Not saying he was wrong to do what he did, but thumbs are handy....

35a2367e35b8bef0e0cb3eb713add5a4.jpg
    d95210a43e5bec463b17b818128e3fac.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Top Bottom