Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    IMG_0670.jpeg
    Incorrect.
    <>

Hoji,

i’ve got some 600’ canal & bayou waterfront and 10 Grandkids. Moccasins & copperheads on the home place are dead.

I treated snakebites for over a decade.

I own 2 swamps about 35 miles away; we transplant other animals to there.

Moccasins & copperheads here get fed to the back yard gators.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I am not relocating a copperhead found on my property. Well, I will relocate it to another world.

I am not having copperheads (or similar) on my property posing a risk to my family or my dog. There are plenty of harmless snakes to keep the rodent population in check.

King snakes are welcome. Copperhead are not.

I HATE copperheads. Only snake I've been chased by. Our family farm had a crap ton of them.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Another snake killed in my yard today, It was a coach whip. My wife killed it. She said that she knew that she shouldn't have killed it but it scared her That makes 5 snakes in my yard so far this week.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Ain't seen no 12 footers, but I have personally seen 6-7 footers. At least. There used to be some big ones years ago. Especially along and east of IH35.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Bigguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2024
    Texarkana
    Here in SE Arkansas we mostly have timber rattlers. They don't get very large as a rule, but they can still be deadly. I don't personally know of any human that has died from a bite, but several good dogs have crossed the rainbow bridge with their help.
    I saw a photo of a BIG rattler somewhere out in Arizona, or New Mexico that somebody had killed. The guy was holding it by the tail as high as could and its head was still on the ground. My understanding is that sidewinders are small. I don't know exactly what kind of rattler it was.
    I remember my dad telling me about getting a flat fixed in Oklahoma. Once the tire was off, the guy took a big rag and used it to feel inside there tire. I guess dad must have look surprised because we're used to guys jut using their bare hand. The guy explained that he was from further west, and you didn't run your bared hand inside a flat tire, because you might stab yours self on a rattle snake fang. ??!!??
    I can't imagine a snake that could put a fang through a car tire.

Bigguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2024
    Texarkana
    Human copperhead bites dont require any antivenom.
    Quote by TreyG-20
    "I wouldn't know, I try to avoid such things if possible, but I do know that no matter what the treatment is it isn't less than $2k. Unless you suck it up and do nothing."

Put some chewin terbaccia on it.

glenbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Back in the day, we had 3 or 4 dogs bitten by rattlesnakes in our backyard.
    I seem to recall all of them surviving.
    Of course this was 50 years ago.
    We had a dog that was unusually stupid and got bit several times. He would limp off into the swamp near our house and bury his nose, leg, or foot, whatever caught the bite, and lay there for a few days. He always got better and he always did it again. He finally got run over by enough cars to kill his dumb ass. He was my older brother's dog, not mine, I was too young.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Keep in mind that snakes don't always inject venom when they bite. When you hear stories about someone (or a dog) getting bit and surviving without treatment, it's because they were lucky, not because they were tough or that the power of venom is exaggerated.

The snakes that scare me the most are copperheads. I've stepped on one while I was actively looking out for snakes. It was laying on dry oak leaves and the color pattern exactly matched the colors of those leaves. He didn't bite me, but my adrenalin was so high that I couldn't tell. I had a shotgun in hand (squirrel hunting) and blew him straight to hell.

When I worked for a pipeline company, we were doing some testing at a plant down near East Bernard. All around it are rice fields, so they had no shortage of moccasins and they would show up in the compressor buildings regularly. We had a young engineer with us that was as close to useless as any human I've met, and he kept disappearing. We went looking for him and he had crawled up on the concrete support for a large compressor engine and was taking a nap. Got him down off of there and took him a bit further down the row of engines in that basement until we came to another support that had about 6 moccasins curled up sleeping on it. (That engine was running. It was a cold day and they liked the warmth and vibration.) We couldn't get him to go down in that basement again. As far as I know, he's probably still having nightmares about snakes curling up with him.

Top Bottom