• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yep. Idiots vote in their own tax increases. It makes no sense.

It’s all a big scam anyway. They pounded their chest about “meaningful property tax reduction” only to have the appraised value of the property raised enough to offset the alleged savings.

Even if your tax RATE is frozen at age 65, the value appraised value increase will still allow the amount of tax to increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The tax ceiling freeze is set at the tax amount paid in the year that the property owner qualified and applied for the age 65 or older exemption."

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Vote down the school bonds. Still have Robin (in the ) Hood here. Many uban districts with rural population are passing huge bonds to fund big schools for rural kids (rural areas are growing tremendously), claim the rural 'towns' don't have the income to finance their own schools. Extended Robin Hood. Legal school enrollment is declining so many districts are closing schools to keep 'in budget'. Lots of complaints from 'illegals'.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    set at the tax amount paid in the year Yup , that is what they told me at my gripe - but it WASN'T applied!

Gulfpirate101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    The bigger problem is the rates and spending of the taxing authorities. I fight my appraisal every year with varying results, but ultimately, the number we settle on is less than what I would sell the house for. If we all took out our frustration on the city, county, school districts that love to pat themselves on the back saying "no RATE increase" with the same fervor we beat up the appraiser with, we'd see some real substantive results. In Nueces County where I live, everybody and their dog passes every bond put in front of them thinking "it's free" but wonders why they are paying more in taxes every year despite being told there would be no RATE increase...

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    The other option in Texas, if you're over 65, is you can defer all your property taxes. You pay zero per year, but they accumulate and have to be paid when it's no longer your homestead. Presumably from the proceeds of the sale of the house. But if your house is going up 10% (or more) per year that shouldn't be a problem. You could stick the kids with the problem...BWAHAHAHAHA....

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The other option in Texas, if you're over 65, is you can defer all your property taxes. You pay zero per year, but they accumulate and have to be paid when it's no longer your homestead. Presumably from the proceeds of the sale of the house. But if your house is going up 10% (or more) per year that shouldn't be a problem. You could stick the kids with the problem...BWAHAHAHAHA....
    That's exactly what our political class wants; make it impossible for regular folks to build multi-generational wealth.

Doesn't work for me. I actually like my heirs.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    That's exactly what our political class wants; make it impossible for regular folks to build multi-generational wealth.

Doesn't work for me. I actually like my heirs.
    Yeah, it's not exactly an attractive option. Plus, they charge you 5% annual interest on the deferred amount. But if it comes down to taking the deferral or eating, the deferral is probably the better choice. It's really intended to prevent poor old people from losing their house because they can't pay the taxes.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Yeah, it's not exactly an attractive option. Plus, they charge you 5% annual interest on the deferred amount. But if it comes down to taking the deferral or eating, the deferral is probably the better choice. It's really intended to prevent poor old people from losing their house because they can't pay the taxes.
    The fact that older peopel could be taxed out of thier life long homes really shows how screwed up the property tax scam really is.

People work hard, save money, pay their mortgage (and property taxes) for a good portion of thier lives, then retire and find themselves at risk of becomeing homeless. Bull Shit!

Once a person becomes eligible for Social Security, Property taxes should end!

Last edited:

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I am sick of bloated ISD administration staffs, fancy ISD HQ's, football facilities fancier than most all of the colleges in the nation, etc.
    In 2012 Allen ISD spent $60 million on the high school football stadium. They spent an additional $10 million on a new administration building.

Last year Prosper ISD placed 4 bond packages on the ballot for over $2.8 billion. This would have included several new high schools, an administration building, and a $94 million football stadium. The voters approved 3 of the 4 bond packages, for a total just shy of $ 2.7 billion.

There are 21,780 students in the Prosper ISD. How much is that per student?

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    The fact that older peopel could be taxed out of thier life long homes really shows how screwed up the property tax scam really is.

People work hard, save money, pay their mortgage (and property taxes) for a good portion of thier lives, then retire and find themselves at risk of becomeing homeless. Bull Shit!

Once a person becomes eligible for Social Security, Property taxes should end!
    OK but where's the lost revenue going to come from? Not saying I disagree. But you're talking about a realignment of the entire tax system. Especially in Texas with property taxes tied to school funding. Look at other states, many have substantially lower property taxes. Of course they also have income taxes.

Psssniper

Broke down south of Dallas
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2020
    Corsicana
    $123,966.94 per student! But that number will be amortized. Lets say 50 years so $2479.33 per not taking into account any growth in students.

I fought the 2023 appraisal, hired a local lawyer, worked out pretty good then the 100K homestead and turning 65 helped out.

Last edited:

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    The biggest problem is people buying $100,000 houses for $300,000 or an acre for 15-20k that was selling for 3-5k, waving inspections and offering more than asking to be sure they get the property. As stated homestead caps at 10% a year, however it’s going to hit that cap every year until it catches up. Homes wouldn’t be valued at such high numbers if comps weren’t selling for those amounts. That’s the reality, this is only the beginning of the ramifications, it will continue to go up.

Doesn’t matter if the market is slightly cooling off, the 50 grand drop is nothing when you compare prices from 10 years ago that were $250,000 cheaper. Even if you paid under ask you still overpaid and everyone suffers because of it.

Not only has it put a strain on the older generation, it’s now affecting the youngest generation but nobody talks about that. If I were to die tomorrow my 20 year old daughter would be screwed, there would be no way she’d be able to pay the taxes on my properties or maintain everything I own. Her best bet would be to sell everything and buy a small home so she wouldn’t lose everything.

A rental in round rock that was $750 a month is now $1,800, homes in Hutto that were 120,000k are now $350,000, acres in brenham that were 2k are now 20 and up and that’s just in the last 10 years. Those are facts and only 3 examples and 1 of if not the biggest contributing factors.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    They always go up, never down.

The most annoying one to me is the one that cost me the least. The county of Bastrop taxes the assests of my business.

This is the business that does ZERO business in Bastrop or Bastrop county.
    They tax me because my mail comes to my house in Bastrop.

Not sure how much that is or if it would be worth it, but would a PO box outside of the county fix that?

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Our school tax is $0, because we are old and our income is low, we are in Spring/Cypress School district. We don't think retired people should pay school taxes, been paying all our adult lives.

Top Bottom