• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    We used to hire a company to get the appraisal lowered. Wife decided to try it herself, went to the appointment, didn't get anywhere. She took the offer that was presented in an email when she made the appointment.
    Venture Surplus ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Be aware that there's a 10% cap on property tax increase on your homestead. If the value goes up one year 25%, they can only increase it 10%. If prices are flat the next year, it can still go up another 10% because you haven't caught up with that 25% increase in value from the prior year. They are required by law to appraise it at fair market value. With the crazy price increases.you may get 10% a year for a long time.
    But 10% still hurts.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Most of the appraisal districts now use computerized appraisal programs that makes differing comparable property values rare.

They use several algorithms that differentiate older home from newer homes, lot sizes are figured on square footage at a base rate for the section being appraised. They use GIS (government information system) to compute values based on "improvements" (i.e. home, sheds, etc.). GIS outside information is taken from aerial photos, drone photos and appraisal district employees who walk every street, and inspect houses from the outside. GIS, mines data from cities looks for building permits and improvements to a property, such as new roof, remodeling interior etc.

I have a database and spread sheet that I keep on the area around me with comps.. SO many older structures have been torn down and newer builds gone in that comps are getting fewer. I have seen how the appraisals mirror each other in very clear detail. Not all houses are appraised the same (that would be a great way to argue improper appraisal so they dont) but the six older homes on my street lot sizes are the same, value the same, the houses are within a few square feet of each other, and the values are within a thousand or so.That way they "account" for differing exterior conditions, new roofs, landscaping etc. Bastards.
    I have successfully protested twice on this basis.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    They always go up, never down.

The most annoying one to me is the one that cost me the least. The county of Bastrop taxes the assests of my business.

This is the business that does ZERO business in Bastrop or Bastrop county.
    They tax me because my mail comes to my house in Bastrop.
    Set up a PO box elsewhere (lower tax jurisdiction) and set up automatic forwarding? Have the PO Box as your official business address.

Not sure this would work, but might be worth checking into.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I live in the middle of nowhere and my property taxes have gone from $1100 to $2200 in the six years I have been here. My very small house is over 70 years old and I live on ~.60 of an acre.

Its mainly the school taxes that have gone up and I think that is ridiculous. No one needs a cowboys sized stadium for high school students

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The problem is the SPENDING not the TAXING.

Politicians have an insatiable appetite for spending our money in order to curry favor from some of their constituents. Too many citizens don’t care enough to hold them accountable. Just look at voter participation rates to see how few people are actually voting!
    BINGO!

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Well our great county of Gillespie has yet to inform the plebiscite of the 2024 property taxes. However mine are frozen for city, county and school. So there will not be a change even if the value skyrockets. Oddly tte vale of the land is 10% greater than the house, at least that is what they estimate.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    So how are we going to pay for schools, roads, police, fire, ambulance, etc.?
    I wonder how much of the education budget could be covered by the amount of money that our government is going to waste in the just next 24 hours?

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Ain't that the truth. But taxpayers vote to approve those bond issues.

Yep. Idiots vote in their own tax increases. It makes no sense.

It’s all a big scam anyway. They pounded their chest about “meaningful property tax reduction” only to have the appraised value of the property raised enough to offset the alleged savings.

Even if your tax RATE is frozen at age 65, the value appraised value increase will still allow the amount of tax to increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    The root problem is the state comptrollers office and their property value study. The comptroller office dictates to the local appraisal districts what their valuations need to be and the CAD must appraise their values within 95% of the PVS otherwise the state comes in and fines/punishes the CAD and the taxing entities. So until you get the comptroller office to become reasonable the fuckery will remain at the CAD’s. The CAD’s are the easy scapegoat in this situation but they are not solely the problem. Fix the comptroller PVS and you will then fix the CADs and their yearly fuckery of the appraisals. Oh you now have a 100k homestead exemption, now the comptroller will commence to fix that with higher valuations that they will dictate the CAD’s certify their appraisal roles at. All one big shell game. FIX THE COMPTROLLER‘S OFFICE AND YOU FIX THE PROBLEM.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I wonder how much of the education budget could be covered by the amount of money that our government is going to waste in the just next 24 hours?
    Even if the money is spent wisely, it still has to come from somewhere. And that somewhere always is taxpayers.

Top Bottom