• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Just got my annual appraisal from the Nazis at the Smith County District. Even though the Realtor.com statistics show that Smith County sales prices dropped almost 8% in 2023 from the year before, they are increasing the appraisal on my 1984 original condition home by the maximum of 10%. There is no basis for this since they claim to use the same data as is quoted below.

How can the public get these bloodsuckers kicked out of their positions?

The median listing home price in Smith County, TX was $368.5K in December 2023, trending down -7.6% year-over-year. The median listing home price per square foot was $180. The median home sold price was $286.2K. Sale-to-list price ratio: 97.51%
    Guns International

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Just got my annual appraisal from the Nazis at the Smith County District. Even though the Realtor.com statistics show that Smith County sales prices dropped almost 8% in 2023 from the year before, they are increasing the appraisal on my 1984 original condition home by the maximum of 10%. There is no basis for this since they claim to use the same data as is quoted below.

How can the public get these bloodsuckers kicked out of their positions?
    Get hold of some comparable sales in your neighborhood. Account for different features, conditions, ft2. If your is higher, protest.

Some folks on here recommend O’Connor & Associates for handling protests. No fee if they don't reduce your taxes, and if they do it is just a percentage of the savings (if I recall properly).

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Not sure about the different counties and how they handle the over 65, but here in Smith County only the school district and junior college taxes are frozen. The county and city portions continue to increase or decrease; this includes special districts like Fire/Emergency/Flood/Water, etc.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    If mine skyrocket I'll be headed out.
    I'm on a fixed income which is about zero. I bought my home because I could afford it but when I get taxed out it's time to travel. Texas is getting ridiculous with the taxes.
    Just learned there are over 4000 new home going to be build about 5 miles away which is now all woods. They tear that shit down quickly. Homes are going to be $3-$500k there goes my area Comps/appraisals right to Jupiter
    And with that comes higher taxes.

Last edited:

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Be aware that there's a 10% cap on property tax increase on your homestead. If the value goes up one year 25%, they can only increase it 10%. If prices are flat the next year, it can still go up another 10% because you haven't caught up with that 25% increase in value from the prior year. They are required by law to appraise it at fair market value. With the crazy price increases.you may get 10% a year for a long time.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    My theory is that the government figures this is a great way to cash in on all of the east and west coast commies who have moved here on their fat public pensions and have no problem with our taxes since they sold their homes for triple what they paid here

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Most of the appraisal districts now use computerized appraisal programs that makes differing comparable property values rare.

They use several algorithms that differentiate older home from newer homes, lot sizes are figured on square footage at a base rate for the section being appraised. They use GIS (government information system) to compute values based on "improvements" (i.e. home, sheds, etc.). GIS outside information is taken from aerial photos, drone photos and appraisal district employees who walk every street, and inspect houses from the outside. GIS, mines data from cities looks for building permits and improvements to a property, such as new roof, remodeling interior etc.

I have a database and spread sheet that I keep on the area around me with comps.. SO many older structures have been torn down and newer builds gone in that comps are getting fewer. I have seen how the appraisals mirror each other in very clear detail. Not all houses are appraised the same (that would be a great way to argue improper appraisal so they dont) but the six older homes on my street lot sizes are the same, value the same, the houses are within a few square feet of each other, and the values are within a thousand or so.That way they "account" for differing exterior conditions, new roofs, landscaping etc. Bastards.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    We moved out of Dallas to get away from this crap and it followed 10% a year every year for the past 4 years. Our property has just shy of doubled according to the jackasses at the county. They are droppping in a new development just on the other side of town that is going to bump it up even more.

Why we don’t pay taxes on the actual purchase amount and that’s it is beyond me. The “appraised value” is bullshit. It’s fake money until somone pays me that price. But they pull a number out of there ass and we’re magically on the hook for that amount.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    They always go up, never down.

The most annoying one to me is the one that cost me the least. The county of Bastrop taxes the assests of my business.

This is the business that does ZERO business in Bastrop or Bastrop county.
    They tax me because my mail comes to my house in Bastrop.

Top Bottom