• Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Eat lots of protein at meals and you probably won't need snacks!
    Following on a recent discussion here about amino acids and getting enough dietary protein, three amino acids--glycine, cysteine, and glutamine--combine in the liver to produce glutathione. A lot of people take vitamin C supplements as a way to boost the immune system (I got to thinking about this subject because I reordered some supplements this morning), but glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that plays a massive role in our immune responses and it typically isn't in our multivitamins. Low levels of glutathione have been associated with things like type 2 diabetes, hepatitis, Parkinson's disease, and higher risks of cancer.

If you aren't getting adequate amounts of glycine, cysteine, and glutamine, your body can't produce glutathione.

Foods rich in glycine include beef, pork, poultry, salmon, peanuts, and some seeds.

For cysteine and glutamine, the list is similar but includes dairy and not the seeds/peanuts: beef, pork, poultry, milk, yogurt, ricotta cheese, and cottage cheese.

While I'm yammering on in vmax's topic...

The 9 amino acids that are considered as being essential in the diet--because the body can't synthesize them--are histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine.

If you're a gym rat, you've also heard of "branched chain amino acids," BCAAs. These are leucine, isoleucine, and valine. The reason they're called "branched chain" simply has to do with the appearance of their molecular structure.

While all of the 9 essential amino acids are, well, essential, those three play a particular role in the building of muscle and helping to reduce the breakdown of muscle tissue.

Word of the day: sarcopenia. Sarcopenia is the term for muscle loss that occurs naturally with aging, and that also happens from immobility in younger folks. It's the degenerative and progressive loss of skeletal muscle mass, quality, and strength. In my rotation of gym T-shirts is a custom one that says, "Sarcopenia Sucks."

If you're getting a lot of meat and dairy in your diet, you're covered. But I also hedge my bets with supplements. I buy BCAAs in powder form; glutamine as well. In my water bottle I mix those four amino acids (in low concentration levels) with plain water and the occasional tiniest pinch of salt.

I'm too old for grueling workouts any longer, but that's the mixture I still sip while doing the pseudo-workouts I'm still capable of. Gettin' old is not for the faint of heart, and for me the most important thing is quality of life. I want to able to function as well as I can for as long as I can.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

As we age, we must pay attention to exercise. Try to find something you enjoy doing, and which involves exercise that increases heart rate to 90 or 100, for at least 20”.

I’ve done well cleaning my large yard & bicycling round town or nearby cities.

On long bicycle rides in small towns, N.O. & Houston; I’ve seen hundreds of discarded home exercise machines in curbside piles.

p.s. Do follow safety precautions. I carry pepper dog spray, cellphone, GLOCKS, etc. Always with a helmet & safety vest. For the rare nighttime rides, my bike is lit-up like a Mardi Gras float.

<>

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    <>

As we age, we must pay attention to exercise. Try to find something you enjoy doing, and which involves exercise that increases heart rate to 90 or 100, for at least 20”.

I’ve done well cleaning my large yard & bicycling round town or nearby cities.

On long bicycle rides in small towns, N.O. & Houston; I’ve seen hundreds of discarded home exercise machines in curbside piles.

p.s. Do follow safety precautions. I carry pepper dog spray, cellphone, GLOCKS, etc. Always with a helmet & safety vest. For the rare nighttime rides, my bike is lit-up like a Mardi Gras float.

<>
    Absolutely, I ride a fat tire bicycle every day at least 5 miles. 13,000 + miles in 7 years. I carry mace and S&W shield 45 ACP.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Following on a recent discussion here about amino acids and getting enough dietary protein, three amino acids--glycine, cysteine, and glutamine--combine in the liver to produce glutathione. A lot of people take vitamin C supplements as a way to boost the immune system (I got to thinking about this subject because I reordered some supplements this morning), but glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that plays a massive role in our immune responses and it typically isn't in our multivitamins. Low levels of glutathione have been associated with things like type 2 diabetes, hepatitis, Parkinson's disease, and higher risks of cancer.

If you aren't getting adequate amounts of glycine, cysteine, and glutamine, your body can't produce glutathione.

Foods rich in glycine include beef, pork, poultry, salmon, peanuts, and some seeds.

For cysteine and glutamine, the list is similar but includes dairy and not the seeds/peanuts: beef, pork, poultry, milk, yogurt, ricotta cheese, and cottage cheese.

While I'm yammering on in vmax's topic...

The 9 amino acids that are considered as being essential in the diet--because the body can't synthesize them--are histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine.

If you're a gym rat, you've also heard of "branched chain amino acids," BCAAs. These are leucine, isoleucine, and valine. The reason they're called "branched chain" simply has to do with the appearance of their molecular structure.

While all of the 9 essential amino acids are, well, essential, those three play a particular role in the building of muscle and helping to reduce the breakdown of muscle tissue.

Word of the day: sarcopenia. Sarcopenia is the term for muscle loss that occurs naturally with aging, and that also happens from immobility in younger folks. It's the degenerative and progressive loss of skeletal muscle mass, quality, and strength. In my rotation of gym T-shirts is a custom one that says, "Sarcopenia Sucks."

If you're getting a lot of meat and dairy in your diet, you're covered. But I also hedge my bets with supplements. I buy BCAAs in powder form; glutamine as well. In my water bottle I mix those four amino acids (in low concentration levels) with plain water and the occasional tiniest pinch of salt.

I'm too old for grueling workouts any longer, but that's the mixture I still sip while doing the pseudo-workouts I'm still capable of. Gettin' old is not for the faint of heart, and for me the most important thing is quality of life. I want to able to function as well as I can for as long as I can.
    Sarcopenia is Latin for "poverty of the flesh"

Top Bottom