• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have a 2011 Suburban in my driveway that I am probably going to buy Monday. Does anyone have any experience with the 5.3 v8 that has the variable displacement ability? I have never owned a vehicle that can shut off cylinders. Curious if it actually helps gas mileage or is it hype?
    Gun Zone Deals

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I've heard mixed reviews, even from my Sgt who bought one from his wife. If you hit the cruise control and it can maintain easily without bouncing up and down gears, its great.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    this one has the Flex Fuel ability as well, but I tried that (E85) a few years ago with another truck I had. It kills your mileage. I hate E85 and the fact that it makes the price of corn go up.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    E85 reduced my Tundra 3mph. Now, E85 is awesome on the racetrack with a proper timer. That flexfuel is about a 1k add on...I didn't realize it until after my Tundra was delivered.

sneekysnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    New Braunfels,Tx.
    I have worked on a few and i like them. Have had no problems with this feature . Also have a 2010 Camaro SS that has the same feature 429 hp and 19-21 miles per gallon . It kills the spark as well as the fuel to the cylinders. You are right E85 sucks it also ruins the rubber hoses in the fuel tank . makes them soft

TXchoctaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Euless
    I had a Caddy back in the early 80's that had this technology and it worked good back then, I'm sure they have improved on it considerably since.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The 4-6-8 was a joke. This one runs on either 4 or 8, no "intermediate" steps. I haven't really heard of any issues, but am not a big fan of the added complexity.

The system does more than shut down spark and fuel - it shuts closes the valves to those cylinders by purposely collapsing the lifters for them. I'm not sure how they keep the lifters from beating themselves to death against the cam, but they (and Mopar) do it somehow.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    My dad has it in his Silverado. Really works well. And if you're buying it brand new that 5y/100,000mi warranty isn't bad either!

Top Bottom