• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    As usual, I returned to Pearsall this season for my deer hunt. This go round was only for four days at the tail end of the season(jan.13th-16th), so I had to make it count. Down south, the late season(does and spikes) begins after the 16th but I didn't want to wait a minute longer to put some meat in the freezer. Luckily, in spite of the cold, rain and mud, I managed to bag a couple of deer that made it all seem worth it. My second day in, I saw something worth shootin' at. A decent sized buck walked out to my right with a pair of does in his sight. He sat at about 100 yards away from the tripod while the does crept closer and closer to me. He cautiously came to within about eighty yards as I put a scope on him. The does seemed to lure him in just a few yards more when he froze up and started back into the brush. My damn trigger finger was numb but after eyeballing his rack, I could not let him go. One squeeze later and down he went. When my .280 popped off, I knew had my sights set right behind his armpit. I immediately heard a thud and some scrapin' around. 'Bout twenty minutes later I started after him and found him a good 20 yards off, fully expired. He was a young, good looking 8 pointer and a damn good start to my season. That night, I got some kudos from my hunting buddies and looked forward to some old fashion hog blastin' the next morning. Others had already spoken of the herd of over 30 hogs running across the ranch but I had yet to spot them. Since my friends place covers over 1100 acres in several different lots, I decided to try out a new spot the next day and see what happened. Damn if lightning didn't strike twice when I saw a-nuther 8 point buck even bigger than the last. Once again, accompanied by a young doe, this one meandered over to a feeder right at 75 yards away. He stood outside the hog fence(around the feeder) just kinda looking around. Now, as a general rule, I should limit myself to a buck a season but what can I say, I had Buck Fever and had to take some more medicine. This one paused just right for me and I put one on him right behind his shoulder. He jumped like he had a firecracker up his ass and set off into the thickets. At first I kinda thought, oh shit, my buddy is gonna be pissed if I just wounded a nice buck and let him get away. For this shot I was using my reloads w/150gr remington accutip bullets instead of my usual 139gr winchester ballistic silvertips. I gave it only 15 minutes before I set out after this one, and there he was right at 25 yards away from where I shot him, dedder than shit. He had a few more pounds on him than the first one so he got a little man-handled as I dragged and loaded him up. While tagging him, I did notice that he actually had one inner tine broken off maybe technically making him a 7 pointer. Any how, my 2010-2011 deer season was short but sweet and here are the pictures to prove it. Enjoy people and tell me your 2010 hunting story if you got one - Texmex
    Guns International

Attachments

• tn[4].jpg
      tn[4].jpg
      16.7 KB · Views: 172
    • tn[1] (2).jpg
      tn[1] (2).jpg
      8.7 KB · Views: 160
    Top Bottom