• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    20 Things The Paranoid Dad learned from the book “One Second After”

This is also usable information if a RED DAWN scenario ever happened.

You cannot totally prepare for every possible situation. There are too many variables: weather, where you are at the time it occurs, who you are with. You never know how those around you have prepared or how they will react – where will they be mentally, emotionally, and physically. Being prepared, at whatever level, just gives you better odds of survival.

1. Eventually you will have to kill somebody.

2. Eventually someone will find you no matter where you are. All you can do is pick the most strategic location possible.

3. Disease will become a part of life.

4. You’re going to run out of bullets, eventually.

5. If or when the government comes to help, they may not be very helpful, and you won’t be anywhere near their top priority.

6. Any gun is better than no gun as long as you have ammo.

7. Having an understanding of military battle tactics would be a good idea.

8. Children need to learn how to shoot and defend themselves early on.

9. Some medical training and knowledge would be beneficial, even if it’s just first aid.

10. Big cities will become kill zones.

11. Build a privy in your yard and use it for a week. See how bad it can get!

12. Buy an extra dose of medication whenever you can.

13. Evil people without any fear of authority or restraint will become more evil.

14. If you have more food than everyone else, stay on near-starvation rations so you don’t appear to be more healthy and become a target.

15. Be one of the first ‘looters’, but pay for what you can, however you can.
    (Being a honest person by nature – I don’t like #15, but if the SHTF this may be a matter of life & death for you and your family)

16. Having to move from one safe location to another safe location, remember you’ll be in danger the entire way. Movement is dangerous.

17. White collar skills will be worthless. Blue collar skills will be more valuable.

18. People who rarely or never do any strenuous work will be in big trouble.

19. Survival will become a fulltime job.

20. 22LR ammo is future Gold. You can buy years worth now with very little money. A good 22LR rifle is very accurate, can bring down small animals not destroying the meat, and if needed can keep away unwanted animals and bad guys. And the sound does not carry far when you need to stay hidden, and homemade silencers can be built.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I'll have to check the book out. I'm surprised at how much of this list is always on my mind. I'm equally surprised when friends and family act put out when I bring up anything on this subject. Many refer to this as a survivalist or prepper mentality. It's a mind set that I hope to spread into everyone I care about. You would be amazed at how people will write you off as a nut job the first time you bring up prepping for a disaster. As time moves on and I discuss a little bit here and a little bit there, they come around and start asking questions. Pretty soon, they're as devoted to the cause as anyone.

I think it is inherint in all of us to survive. We've only forgotten it due to complacency and consumerism.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    This is why we moved 1000 miles to Texas from Illinois. I can survive here, never gets cold enough to bother, in the middle of nowhere, stocked up pretty good and you can hunt game and grow food. Try living in a city of 150k with 1 in 3 on food stamps, weather that drops to -20 and so on. It was probably our main reason for making the move, survival. Grew up as the poor hired man's kid on the farm in the 50's and 60's. What I thought was useless knowledge and a way of life back then, is now a gold mine.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Both "One Second After" and "Patriots" are good reads. I believe that "One Second After" is a bit more realistic as most of us will never have a fortified mountain base with 300,000 rounds of ammo and 5 years worth of food like they did in "Patriots".

After reading either you realize how deficient in skills and supplies most of us are. I have alot of friends who believe that having an arsenal bigger than that of the Italian army will take care of them. I opt to go smaller and go get some of their stuff after they starve to death.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Both "One Second After" and "Patriots" are good reads. I believe that "One Second After" is a bit more realistic as most of us will never have a fortified mountain base with 300,000 rounds of ammo and 5 years worth of food like they did in "Patriots".

After reading either you realize how deficient in skills and supplies most of us are. I have alot of friends who believe that having an arsenal bigger than that of the Italian army will take care of them. I opt to go smaller and go get some of their stuff after they starve to death.

i loved patriots, but yeah, i totally see the point here. will have to pick this one up for sure.

also, are you sure "freinds" is thebest term to describe these people?
    lol.

with a friend like you..... ;)

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Indeed they are my friends and with some of them I have discussed their theories for being prepared. Some of them think that having 145 different guns is the answer, I prefer to have less than that but augment them with food, some meds, and other supplies that would work for me in a SHTF scenario. Even though they are my friends, I cant and wont feed a small town because they didnt plan well.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hehehe no i get where you are coming from man.

the main reason to have that many guns is to hand them out. or use them for barter. but really, sustainable food and water supplies/systems is what is going keep you alive.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    ....It's a mind set that I hope to spread into everyone I care about. You would be amazed at how people will write you off as a nut job the first time you bring up prepping for a disaster.

I actually find that a good deal of the people I work with seem to understand that with the course this country is going, we could be headed for real trouble. So, when the conversation is tempered appropriately, they seem to understand things could get out of control. Of course, I also share that my deepest hope is that the naysayers to preparedness are correct and we continue to live our blissful little lives without ever understanding just how ill-prepared we are. That always seems to help.

I think the biggest thing that shakes people is when they get the impression that the preppers want to end up in the chaotic situation. Kind of like the impression that they can get that people who carry are hoping to have an excuse to shoot their handguns.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Most average people don't want to discuss this subject, and if it's brought up they usually get uncomfortable or look at you like you're a freak. Most people are off in their own little world and don't want to look farther than 2 feet ahead to plan for the future, so when you attempt to help them out of their ignorance it's only natural they tend to react poorly. This is probably the reason that so many people in our society now have gotten themselves into such serious financial issues, have done nothing or built nothing with their lives, have kept idiotic politicians in office that continually screw things up, etc. Honestly, the way I look at it, you can only try so much. You can't help people that don't want to help themselves.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    very true, and very sad sig, on the plus side, clockwork willhave plenty of munchies...

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I actually find that a good deal of the people I work with seem to understand that with the course this country is going, we could be headed for real trouble. So, when the conversation is tempered appropriately, they seem to understand things could get out of control. Of course, I also share that my deepest hope is that the naysayers to preparedness are correct and we continue to live our blissful little lives without ever understanding just how ill-prepared we are. That always seems to help.

I think the biggest thing that shakes people is when they get the impression that the preppers want to end up in the chaotic situation. Kind of like the impression that they can get that people who carry are hoping to have an excuse to shoot their handguns.

Exactly! I would love it if I never had to use my food storage and if I never had to shoot someone, but it sure is nice knowing I could do both.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Part of my reasoning is being sure to be able to provide means of defense to family/friends - and perhaps more importantly, as Trade Goods. If it DOES hit the fan, weapons of any any kind will suddenly have a whole new value - just don't swap/sell someone a weapon AND ammo at the same time/location!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That book was a serious downer.

One thing I hated was the people that broke into his house. Ok, you're starving. Two scumbags break in looking for food and you lay them out. And then you put the bodies out for collection and burial!? Hell no, those bastards are going on the grill!!

And yes, I'm dead serious. That was one of the major flaws in this book IMO.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    1.)Why was it horrible? I thought it was entertaining. Not all of these are meant to be a how-to.
    2.) Can't they just read both and glean something from both?

To answer 1, I have a few few answers...

A LOT of the information was out of date, inaccurate, or very dangerous (i.e., the intro to one of the chapters that detailed how to get a fake birth certificate and photo ID stopped working around 1992, and will get you in federal prison in a matter of hours if you try it nowadays).

The story was completely implausible, even to someone who has no problem with suspension of belief enough to enjoy the matrix.

Every character was fake and flat, had no personality, and was just a mouthpiece for the author.

Every villian was cartoonish and ... fake.

The dialog was wooden and preachy.

The narration was full of pointlessly detailed descriptions.

It was just a chore to read. I had to make myself finish it. And I LIKE survivalist fiction.

To 2, yes, you could, but there are better books to read if you're just getting into it and a bad book might break you on the genre.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    To answer 1, I have a few few answers...

A LOT of the information was out of date, inaccurate, or very dangerous (i.e., the intro to one of the chapters that detailed how to get a fake birth certificate and photo ID stopped working around 1992, and will get you in federal prison in a matter of hours if you try it nowadays).

The story was completely implausible, even to someone who has no problem with suspension of belief enough to enjoy the matrix.

Every character was fake and flat, had no personality, and was just a mouthpiece for the author.

Every villian was cartoonish and ... fake.

The dialog was wooden and preachy.

The narration was full of pointlessly detailed descriptions.

It was just a chore to read. I had to make myself finish it. And I LIKE survivalist fiction.

To 2, yes, you could, but there are better books to read if you're just getting into it and a bad book might break you on the genre.

wow....thats a good critique. I just thought it was an interesting, albeit far reaching, fictional account of TEOTWAWKI....but I can respect that analysis.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Ugh, patriots was horrible. Read lights out instead. PM me if you want a copy (it was distributed on the internet), but you have to declare intent to buy it when it comes out.

I have already read that as well.

I still liked Patriots, yes, having their BOL loaded out to the gills as they did would have cost serious moolah, but is still very worth the read regardless.

And it also happened to be the 1st book of this nature I read......

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    xbasbajajjs
    Top Bottom