• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rayetter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    richards
    I was just wondering if anyone else here rode one of these, I have been looking for something better than stage 1 carburetor kits and failing miserably. There used to be a supercharger available for it but its has been out of circulation for years. Also, for those that dont know, the V65 Magna is an 1100. I am about tired of people that havent heard of it tryin to tell me it doesnt exist. I literally rode this to work the other day and this 20 somethin year old kid was tellin me that honda "never made an 1100cc V4 in the 80's", I have only had a couple of V4's, so any modification information (besides the oil mod) would be appreciated. Thanks yall!
    Guns International

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I had a V45 Sabre, which is the 750cc version of the same bike. I am very familiar with the V65s, both the Sabre and the Magna. Great bikes, especially if you've taken care of the oil issue. I only got rid of mine when I bought a 1991 ST1100 which is also a V4 (although turned 90 degrees), and 20 years later it's still in the garage.

You'd think there would be a forum of owners of them somewhere on the 'Net...have you tried Honda Sabre, Magna, Interceptor BBS - Index?

Cheers! M2

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I, too, had the V45 Sabre. V-Twin, water cooled, shaft drive. Loved the bike. I put the factory fairing and lowers on mine.

However, the Magna and Sabre were different bikes. The Magna was a cruiser, and the Sabre a standard or "sport tourer".

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Mine had the factory fairing/lowers on mine as well, custom painted to match the bike (black/gray with red striping). It was beautiful...

rayetter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    richards
    I have an 84 V-45 magna (700cc) that my wife putts around on, its a quick little bike. I actually had an ST1100 before I got the V65, I absolutely loved it. I have only found 2 sites so far, MagnaOwnersOfTexas, and SABMAG.ORG, neither of which are updated often at all. I really figured there would be alot more people, but I guess the thing was only made for 3 years, how many can there possibly be left? I see them for sale periodically online, but when I am out just riding, I have never seen another one on the road. Lots of the V45's runnin around still. Its all good, I get a kick outta riding it. Ill try to post a pic of it here shortly. Its the first year model (83), and they were only offered in candy maroon and pearl siren blue. Mine is painted black, as I didnt really care for the blue. Its not bad for bein 28 years old.

rayetter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    richards
    104.jpg

rayetter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    richards
    horrible picture, Ill take another one later when my wife gets home with the dang camera. I was actually going to sell it not long ago, but I started doing research on it and changed my mind. The resale value of these things is unreal, but I dont think anyone is gonna fork over 2500 bucks for an old honda, so i figure I'll modify it until Im happy and/or hit mach 3. The information I have been finding on these claims that it produces around 105bhp and a claimed top end of 185, I have never gotten close to 185, its pretty much done at 168. That could be due to age too I suppose, I changed the spark plugs, wires, oil and filter, new tires and a KNN air element last night, but I havent run it yet. I used to run engine ice in my ST1100, and it did a fantastic job, so I am going to try it in the V65 and see what happens. Ill post an update if there are any drastic improvements to performance, if anyone is interested. If not, its cool. I just have too much time on my hands I guess. Ill check back later, yall be safe.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I had a '83 V65 Sabre. It was stupid fast, but did not like the twisty's. A drunk driver plowed into me at 50mph from behind when I was stopped at a stop sign. That totaled the bike, but I was surprisingly mostly uninjured. ( speed was measured by a car behind him). This was about ten years ago.
    I have not been on a bike since then (my wife's choice, not mine)
    Anyway I loved the combination of power and smoothness. If I recall correctly the V65 Magna was the quickest bike of '83. The Ninja's were new to the scene, and the cafe racer craze was just taking off.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Amazed at how many of us had a Sabre. I had a 1983? v45 that I bought with a seized engine for like $200 and brought it back from the dead. If I recall it had a stupid high redline (for its day) and would start really pulling about where you'd shift on most bikes. "Scary Fast" indeed at least for straight line stuff. It was kind of a pig on curves as I recall.

I always (at that time) wanted a Magna. They were just cool. I had a shadow, and a nighthawk too. Definitely a Honda guy at that time. I still have the license, but I haven't ridden in like 10 years.

Sorry rayetter, I never did any mods to my bikes other than maybe muffler - so I am no help. I will give you a ^5 on coolness tho.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Wikipedia has a great article about the Magna!
    1983–1986 V65 (VF1100C)

The large displacement 1,099 cc (67.1 cu in) V65 Magna attracted attention as Honda's entry in the 1/4 mile wars between manufacturers at the time, causing Suzuki to respond with the 1200 Madura (which had a 1/4 mile time of 11.66 s at 115.7 mph), and going up against such competition as the Suzuki GS1150E (10.47 s at 128 mph).[SUP][7][/SUP] The V65 lay somewhere between these two in performance, posting a quarter mile time of 11.29 s at 119.2 mph (191.8 km/h).[SUP][3]

F
    or a 590lb bike it was hitting "light speed" when you rolled the throttle back! I am not sure it needs any more speed mods...[/SUP]:ohnoes:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I actually raced my ST1100 against my old Sabre after I sold the latter. The new owner was riding it out to Ohio, so I accompanied him just because it sounded like a fun trip. We were stopped at a light and agreed to see how they would do against each other. Being the lighter bike, the Sabre got the jump on me but before he was halfway across the intersection the power of the 1100cc V4 in the ST propelled me past him. Of course, with a 400cc advantage I didn't think it would take long for me leap ahead...

It's funny as while riding the ST in the Italian Alps I swapped bikes with my buddy who was on a CBR1000. Going from a V4 to a I4 is quite a difference, the RPM range is much higher on the latter. Now that I have a CBR1000RR as well as my old ST, it takes a little brain shift to go from one to the other.

Cheers! M2

rayetter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    richards
    Thanks for the coolness points, lol. I took her for a spin a bit ago after new plugs and fluids, yeah, I dont think I am gonna add any mods, lol. I took off from a stop kinda easy and then I ran it up to 9 grand and shifted into second, the front came up a little and came down easy. Very good on the straight, very piggish in the twisties, it feels like it sits up a little high for twisties. Its all good though. I do agree with ya about the ST1100, it did feel a touch faster and more responsive. My brother has a 600 F4i, there is a huge difference between the I-4 and the V-4. The redline on these puppies is insane, I always wanted to try a Sabre but they are harder to find than the Magnas. So far, I have the V65 Magna, the wife has the V45 Magna, I am not gonna bother getting a V30, 500cc isnt worth the trouble to me. I am gonna be looking for the Super Magna next, that ones even rarer than the V65, its 700cc but it is among the first "chopper" style production imports. After I find that one, I am gonna attempt to find a Sabre. Thats cool that you went riding in the Alps, I would love to go ride through there. I think over there they call the ST1100 the Pan-European or something like that. I was really impressed with the ST1100, but have any of you guys ridden the ST1300? I saw a Bryan Police Officer riding one the other day, looks like a nice bike. I took a better pic after cleaning it up, and the white you see on the tank is the reflection of the house, not a blemish. Hope yall like. 017.jpg

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I had a V65 Magna as well......my last street bike was a CBR1000RR, I just kept the old ZX9R moniker as that is what I had when I started posting on Forums.

rayetter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    richards
    Thats cool. I tried a ninja once, it was a ZX6 D3. I had no idea what it was at the time, but I only kept it for about a month before I switched to Honda. I started out with the crotchrockets, then went to V-twins. I got into the muscle bikes and have been stuck on them for a while now. My brother is relatively new to bikes and he was all about the CBR 600, so thats what he got. I let him take my V65 for a ride and when he got back his eyes were big as dinner plates. I think he liked it. Did you like your V65? I havent tried it yet, but I hear they are capable of awesome burnouts.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I loved my V65 & wish I had never sold it. At the time I got rid of my bikes I had 3, one was a GSXR 600 race bike. I was never a big fan of wasting my tires, lol.

rayetter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    richards
    Yeah, I hear ya on that. Tires are too dang expensive to burn like that. I work weekends at a biker bar up the road and we are having a mini rally in a couple of weeks and I think there may be some burnouts happening, and since my rear tire is about ready for replacement, I figured I might goof off a little. I always wanted to race but I think I am a little old for that now, lol. I just run hot down 149 once in a while. If yall ever get a chance, ride through the national forest down 149 between montgomery and anderson, its a nice ride.

rayetter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    richards
    Yeah, 149 is my favorite run.  My wife works in Magnolia, so I cruise it fairly often.  Montgomery County doesnt really like motorcyclists much.  The only problem I have had on 149 is those dang bicycles in the middle of the road.  I dont care about sharing the road, thats fine, but when you have 600 lbs of motorcycle coming down the road, common sense should say, Hmm, I should move.  Oh well, Ill stop with that, it wont end well, lol.  I am still relatively new to this forum but do yall ever get together for rides/shoots or anything?  That could be fun, I have my own land so I usually just shoot at home, but it gets kinda old shootin by myself all the time.

jesurrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Surrey
    I was just wondering if anyone else here rode one of these, I have been looking for something better than stage 1 carburetor kits and failing miserably.

Try David Dodge who is living quietly somewhere near Las Vegas. He is the world guru on the V4 engine having drag raced them for years and having rebuilt engines for many Magna Sabre owners! You should be able to find him with a google search for David Dodge + Magna or V4 Honda

Top Bottom