• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I was at a buddies house and was looking at some of his projects earlier and he had an old 1899 Springfield 30/40 krag. He is looking for an original stock, hand guard and trigger guard. Is there a place that would sell these? Or does anyone have any parts that they'd be willing to part with?
    Texas SOT

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    The original stocks if not locally found can cost from $150 to $250. CMP is a great suggestion for a place to start. Most of the .30-40's they have were old dress rifles or display rifles in legion halls and exhibit varying conditions of neglect. But the stocks on them could be perfect for use. I would have been able to help you out but I just sold my old nasty krag sporter a few weeks ago.
    Just out of experience, it's much more cost efficient to buy a donor rifle and then sell off the parts that you don't need.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Would assume his Krag project/restoration is of a collector nature. I bought an 1896 Krag Carbine a good while back, bore was NFG and no buttplate...I had a pal install a new barrel, an adjustable Lyman peep sight, and buttplate. If I am going hunting that is the old baby I'm taking. Have 30-06s and a fine scoped Ruger in .243 but the Krag Carbine is my honey !!

bunkysdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Garland Tx
    I just love the Krag. This M1896 is original and shoots darn good. Looking forward to handloading for this round.
    016..jpg

Sniper John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    North Texas
    I have a representative 1896 Carbine in my collection. It only cost me around $700 due to a poorly worded online auction hiding it from the searches and it had an incorrect rear sight on it. As well I stumbled into an older built 1899 sporter that is a sweet rifle to shoot. I love that butter smooth krag action.

BTW, All 1899 Krags were carbines. An original un messed with 1899 Krag Carbine stock will cost you a bit more than $250 IMHO. If you can find one.

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    The Springfield was "sporterized". Someone had cut the barrel down and carved a bunch of checkering into the stock. He was going to leave the barrel alone but try and replace the stock.

Sniper John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    North Texas
    Bunkysdad,
    Thats a great picture. It belongs on a magazine cover. Here is one of my three. My 1896 Carbine is actually 1895 dated and a 25,000 serial number range. It's an early one. It's a beater, but to be expected. My letter shows it in service till the 1930s when it was sold by Uncle Sam. Then probably someones Deer rifle for several years. Bore condition is actually pretty nice, but I have never fired it.

kragcarb2.jpg

Top Bottom