Patriot Mobile

155 palma .308 range report (incomplete)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    155 Palma Load .308 Update

Well guys I finally got some 155 palmas loaded up. I was worried I would not be able to push them as fast as I wanted through my .308 ( fn spr 20" 1:12 BBL)

Got out today and zeroed my night force at 200 yards and got a few shots chrono'ed.

IMR: 4895
    45.5 Grns
    Win Large Primers
    New FC Cases (Somehow I grabbed the wrong bag of brass, this was suppose to be win brass)
    2.805 OAL

As brass was new they were full length sized

4 shots:
    2843 FPS

Light conditions were going down and It was hard to get the darn things to chrono but this is what we ended up with at an average of 2838.75 FPS. I might lower to load a little as I really only want to shoot Just about 2800. However no signs of pressure on the brass and recoil was not terrible.

I did not have time to do much more than chrono and shoot a group but I will get back out there soon to get you guys a full range report on my dope out to hopefully 700-800 yards. I am also going to compare it to the sierra ballistics program to see what the deviation turns out to be.
    (not sure if anyone is interested but I had looked for load data on 155palma out of the shorter .308 barrels and did not find what I was looking for)

After sight in I shot this 3 round group at 200 off my bipod. I put this in most of my rifle posts but I am not a benchrest, comp, or professional shooter, if you are I am pleased to hear it but don't rip me for not putting 10 rounds in a snuff can at a grand..

Anyway I am pretty happy with the 155 and I did not measure the group but this is torn off a sight in target and the squares are 1"x1" so this looks to be a .75" group at 200.
    P2150007.jpg

I finally stretched the 155's legs: Started at 500 yards and made a cold bore hit. moved to 700 and shot about 10 rounds including a 3 shot group that measured 3.5" on the head of the silhouette.

Then moved to 800 yards and Took two more shots. The last one I got on video. You need to watch the video on 1080 and turn your volume way up to see/hear the bullet impact. Target is the white dot that is a tad right of center on the fence line.

Over all I am very happy with the new sierra 155 grn Palma Rounds. They have the same B/C as the 175, do a decent job of bucking the wind, and shorter .308 1:12 twist rifles like mine can still push them 2800fps + without too hot of a load.

Also the Sierra ballistic program got me on target on all of these ranges. I need some adjustment but for a few inputs the outputs were close enough to make solid hits.
    DK Firearms

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My rifle shoots close to 20 MOA. Weird thing is that therifle gets a lot better when someone else shoots it. . . . .

: )

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I think you mean 2.4 MOA...

Good shooting though.

Im sry I was not very specific. I meant My drop at 800 yards in MOA is 20.3 on my scope (1/4") 81 clicks UP.

I didn't shoot a group at 800 just two rounds.. and by that time the target had so many other hits in the center area I could not tell where they landed. Only group I shot was at 700.. and that was 1/2 moa.. I think the rifle could shoot better than me also.. I am very happy with the FN rifles. Seems like they never caught on for competition but for an out of the box gun they shoot great with no work done to them. And they come with some of the top equipment in the industry in regards to tactical rifles. I am trying to learn to shoot better and stretch the .308 win as far as I can and some day when I have a larger budget I am going to go to the 300wsm. and potentially take the FN and fraken-gun it into a 6.5 shooter of some type..

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I gotcha. I've always had a hankerin' to get an FN rifle myself. Heard some good things about them.

I am trying to learn to shoot better and stretch the .308 win as far as I can and some day when I have a larger budget I am going to go to the 300wsm. and potentially take the FN and fraken-gun it into a 6.5 shooter of some type..

That's where I'm at as well. I've got a magnum build in the works, but I'm trying to hold off finishing it up until I stretch the .308 out a bit further.

Top Bottom