• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    anybody have one? how does it compare to an AC powered one? Have a 200'+ well with a 220 submersible pump on it now. Generator is big enough to run it, but looking for other options for a long term outage.
    Target Sports

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have two friends who went DC pumps and solor panels. They have had them for years and they work great.
    One of them is a prepper, the other guy is a rancher who needed a water well where there wasn't electicity

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    The ones I've seen that may work at that depth are about 1.6 GPM no where near what you get with your 220 pump. Considering you will have to pull your pump in order to get this one in be sure you know what is involved. 200'+ of pipe, wire, and pump are not something you are just going to muscle up.

If you do go this route I would also plan on a above ground tank, say 500-1000 gallon that you would pump into, then from that tank to the house using a shallow well type pump and pressure tank, this will give you the volume and pressure you are used to.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The ones I've seen that may work at that depth are about 1.6 GPM no where near what you get with your 220 pump. Considering you will have to pull your pump in order to get this one in be sure you know what is involved. 200'+ of pipe, wire, and pump are not something you are just going to muscle up.

If you do go this route I would also plan on a above ground tank, say 500-1000 gallon that you would pump into, then from that tank to the house using a shallow well type pump and pressure tank, this will give you the volume and pressure you are used to.
    Very good advice. The above ground tank is a must have; the bigger the better!

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    No way to do that with a 12v pump. The wire size would take up most of the pipe. Higher voltage equals smaller wire. I run 4/0 on my batteries and the leads are only 18" long. Can you get a 48v pump? Either way you will want a storage tank and a pressure pump for a pressure tank.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    As Leper says, the reason that we go with higher voltages is so amperage requirements are lower. On LONG conductors like your 200' run, voltage drop in the long wires would leave little voltage at the point of use.

I'll show you some stats ..........
    Watts= power
    Watts = Volts x amps

If you know the watts and the voltage, you can calculate the amps. For example, on a 1000 watt pump..............
    Watts / volts = amps
    1000/220 = 4.454 amps

Say your pump requires 1000 watts.
    At 220 volts, amps required for 1000 watts is 4.545 amps. (220v x 4.545 amps = 1000 watts)
    At 120 volts, 1000 watts requires 8.333 amps.
    At 12 volts, 1000 watts requires 83.33 amps.

At each increase, to handle the amperage, the wire size increases, switches must be larger and anything connected to the unit must be heavier. Voltage drop at 12 volts would be unreasonably high.

I hope that helps!

Flash

Last edited:

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    Thanks guys, was hoping I just missed something. Have to meter the pump when it is running to figure out how large an Inverter is needed for a battery pack.

Top Bottom