• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I finally bought a 10/22 for the kids to learn with. I had one as teenager 3 decades ago and always loved it. The bolt release on the front of the trigger guard is pretty stiff. I had a tough time getting it release and move to a closed bolt position. Did I miss something? It seemed a bit too stiff for my kids to operate. Does it release with a loaded mag by just pulling back on the bolt?

Thanks in advance.

hink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Amarillo
    I never have been able to release the bolt release on my 10/22 by just pulling on the bolt. Both setting and releasing the bolt seem to be a two-handed operation consisting of pulling the bolt to the rear and either setting or releasing the bolt catch.

The difficulty of setting and releasing the bolt have ended with the habit of either shooting until the hammer falls on an empty chamber, or dropping the magazine and cycling the action manually three times to ensure the chamber is empty prior to moving downrange.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I have the Volquartsen release on mine. Just pull the bolt back and it auto releases. That darn OEM release was about a pain in the butt! Mine also came from Midway (it was cheap and easy to install).

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    If you buy an auto release, compare it to the original before you install it. You will see that there is not much difference and it is very easy to modify the factory to match the auto one. Make the necessary adjustments, and you will have a spare.

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    Here is a mod you can try. I haven't done it so I can't vouch for how well it works.

This was the first gun mod I ever performed. It took longer to get the thing out of the 10/22 than it took to do the mod. I used my dremmel and the gold color grinding bit. Incredibly simple modification and it makes a huge difference. Until I made the change, I could never get the stupid thing to release.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I guess I will try the Midway solution. I don't know enough about how it works to modify it without assistance. Great information! Thanks for the help...

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    No better way to learn how the gun works than to take it apart. Used several mods from the Rimfire Central site and there's enough info there to get you through it. Not a very complicated gun at all.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The part came in from Midway for the bolt release. The instructions say it requires that I have to punch out some pins to install it. I have been putting off too long buying a punch set. This is as good a reason as any other... I found the trick to using the Ruger bolt release, push and slide. If you just push it in nothing happens. Push in and slide forward, works like a champ.

I did take it to the range, and sighted in the scope for 50 yards. It reminded my how much I hate Sun Optics. I had bought a 3x9 Sun Optics scope for another rifle, but it kept slipping down the rail, because it did not have a screw that fit into one of the rail cross grooves. I figured for a .22, I could just tighten it enough, due to the lack of recoil. It didn't slip, but it could not hold a zero for crap. I will let my daughter use it. It is still better than she is. If the time is right I will just upgrade her to real scope...

Top Bottom