• leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

A RANT

Years back, in my 50’s, I came to the realization that what I had been taught about the U S Civil War just couldn’t possibly be true.

As this area is very far from my own academic expertise, I began study by first consulting two professional PhD full-Professor-level ‘’Experts’’

Both told, in very definite terms that ‘’One cannot learn REAL History from History books’’; but that it was necessary to read the actual communications of the PARTICIPANTS at the time of events. How many times did I hear ‘’If you think our modern media ‘’news’’ is biased; the historical records are much worse’’ ?

So, I began; visiting the museums of the Confederacy in New Orleans & Charleston. I read the notices of succession, the recruiting pieces, the newspaper articles, letters home, etc.

The ‘’piece de resistance’’ was a small bound volume of Lincoln’s wartime speeches; recorded in proper chronological order, and in their ENTIRETY.

We have been fed politicized ‘’excerpts’’ from Lincoln; his actual words tell a very, very different story. Indeed, he lays out both his intentions and his plans in great detail. From his OWN words, he was no ‘’Great Emancipator’’, Liberator, or anything much positive at all.

Indeed, his actions were, and still are, indefensible under the U S Constitution and under the laws of the time. Just try to find justification for his ‘’To preserve the Union’’ anywhere.

It took a while to realize that the CAUSE for secession had little to do with the issue of Slavery and everything to do with unequal & unfair taxation.

Once the North had been knocked off-balance by early CSA victories; many northerners were calling for a truce; but Lincoln was determined. Only then did he turn to the nascent extremist and mostly unpopular ‘’abolitionist’’ movement for support. Only then dd he assume the cartoon hero like mantle of ‘’The Great Emancipator’’, which did rally the support he needed.

Other revealing readings were the ver-batim communications between PGT Beauregard and the Sumter Commander, his old West Point classmate & Friend; on the day the War actually began. My several self-piloted air excursions over the Fort and the Harbor had really re-inforced the notion of how far the Yankees had intruded into a peaceful neighboring Nation by that time; look at a map for yourself.

May be continued. . . . . . . .

leVieux

<>
    Hurley's Gold

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Haven't researched it near as much, but I get pretty much the same outlook. Industrial north vs. agricultural south, tax issues, and other cultural differences. Slavery was a very minor point. Lincoln pissed on the US Constitution more than any previous US president. Makes you understand Major Randolph's postwar point of view a lot better!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Went to a wedding in Charleston, SC last year and got a chance to do some touring. I didn't go to Ft. Sumpter (there's actually almost nothing to see there) but got a chance to hear a guide talk about it. The whole situation is far more complicated than it's depicted in most history books. The one thing I didn't get to see was the Hunley, but Charleston is a difficult city to tour. Nothing is close to anything else and you pretty much have to take an Uber to anything you can't reach on foot.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Went to a wedding in Charleston, SC last year and got a chance to do some touring. I didn't go to Ft. Sumpter (there's actually almost nothing to see there) but got a chance to hear a guide talk about it. The whole situation is far more complicated than it's depicted in most history books. The one thing I didn't get to see was the Hunley, but Charleston is a difficult city to tour. Nothing is close to anything else and you pretty much have to take an Uber to anything you can't reach on foot.
    <>

Yes, having my own plane helped tremendously with ‘’perspective’’; it gave me a sense of how far the Yankees had intruded into our Nation.

The Hunley was on display at the Presbytère Museum on Jackson Square for several years in N.O.

The point of my o.p. was the massive detailed web of lies we were all fed as ‘’History’’ during our ‘’educations’’. And, that, within three generations, it had become accepted, even unquestioned,

The proof is there, especially in the fact that none of the Confederate Leaders was ever prosecuted. This was not of any beneficence; but the need to keep Lincoln’s own atrociously illegal, unconstitutional crimes from being examined in a public trial, as it would have made lie of the entire ‘’justification’’.

I also learned that the term ’’Established History’’ is despised by REAL Historians, as it presents a contrived obstacle to further learning.

History must be scrounged from the acts & records of the participants, not the scholarly opinions of future investigators.

And, we cannot judge by retroactively applying current ethics to past situations which were lived under extremely different circumstances.

To wit: Our Holy Bibles tell of Jesus Christ’s several encounters with Slavery, yet he never ’’spoke-out’’ on the topic.

Are we to hold Lee, Beauregard, Jackson, even Davis to a different and much ‘’higher’’ standard that that set by our own Lord Jesus ?

Even very recently, a current conservative SCotUS Justice made a public statement that the ‘’constitutionality’’ of Seccession had been settled in the 1860’s. IOW, he/they now think that an extremely important point of Constitutional Law could be ‘’settled’’ by massive illegal physical force under Tyranny ?

leVieux

<>

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    <>

Yes, having my own plane helped tremendously with ‘’perspective’’; it gave me a sense of how far the Yankees had intruded into our Nation.

The Hunley was on display at the Presbytère Museum on Jackson Square for several years in N.O.

The point of my o.p. was the massive detailed web of lies we were all fed as ‘’History’’ during our ‘’educations’’. And, that, within three generations, it had become accepted, even unquestioned,

The proof is there, especially in the fact that none of the Confederate Leaders was ever prosecuted. This was not of any beneficence; but the need to keep Lincoln’s own atrociously illegal, unconstitutional crimes from being examined in a public trial, as it would have made lie of the entire ‘’justification’’.

I also learned that the term ’’Established History’’ is despised by REAL Historians, as it presents a contrived obstacle to further learning.

History must be scrounged from the acts & records of the participants, not the scholarly opinions of future investigators.

And, we cannot judge by retroactively applying current ethics to past situations which were lived under extremely different circumstances.

To wit: Our Holy Bibles tell of Jesus Christ’s several encounters with Slavery, yet he never ’’spoke-out’’ on the topic.

Are we to hold Lee, Beauregard, Jackson, even Davis to a different and much ‘’higher’’ standard that that set by our own Lord Jesus ?

Even very recently, a current conservative SCotUS Justice made a public statement that the ‘’constitutionality’’ of Seccession had been settled in the 1860’s. IOW, he/they now think that an extremely important point of Constitutional Law could be ‘’settled’’ by massive illegal physical force under Tyranny ?

leVieux

<>
    Ephesions 6:1
    Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Ephesions 6:1
    Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.

The translation also applies to hired servants aka employees and public servants.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Slavery was a normal thing at one time. In some cultures, people could volunteer to be a slave. Why? You got fed and housed. In a time where there was no welfare, it wasn't the worst thing that could happen to you.

I'm not trying to justify slavery. By the 19th century, it was widely being outlawed and it's time had passed. You can find old posters listing $10,000 price for a prime slave. Multiply that number by 37. So a $10,000 slave in 1860 was the equivalent cost of $370,000 today. It was a business for rich people. 100 people owned 90% of the slaves. If a slave broke his leg, a doctor would be called in to help because the slave had value. Meanwhile, northern factories were getting a steady flow of impoverished immigrants. They worked them 6 days a week, sometimes in 12 hour days, often in hellish conditions, and if one broke his leg he would be immediately fired. Coal mines and factories maintained "company stores" and "company houses" that sucked every nickel out of those workers, and they forced them to pay for their own pick and shovel. 8 year-olds were employed picking rocks out of mined coal. Yes, they were free to quit, to move, and to vote. They were also free to starve if they didn't find work. Moral values were relative, not absolute.

What drives me crazy is that people now want to superimpose 21st century values on 19th century people. Yeah, Thomas Jefferson had slaves. That's what people did then. He didn't travel back from 2023 to 1803 and subject people to slavery.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Superimpose 21st century values? Like the DOD renaming all the military bases named after those evil southerners? My own high school here in San Antonio , Robert E Lee, was renamed as well. Never mind Lee had a history of service here in Texas and San Antonio, he was another evil southerner who obviously just loved slavery.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Slavery was a normal thing at one time. In some cultures, people could volunteer to be a slave. Why? You got fed and housed. In a time where there was no welfare, it wasn't the worst thing that could happen to you.

I'm not trying to justify slavery. By the 19th century, it was widely being outlawed and it's time had passed. You can find old posters listing $10,000 price for a prime slave. Multiply that number by 37. So a $10,000 slave in 1860 was the equivalent cost of $370,000 today. It was a business for rich people. 100 people owned 90% of the slaves. If a slave broke his leg, a doctor would be called in to help because the slave had value. Meanwhile, northern factories were getting a steady flow of impoverished immigrants. They worked them 6 days a week, sometimes in 12 hour days, often in hellish conditions, and if one broke his leg he would be immediately fired. Coal mines and factories maintained "company stores" and "company houses" that sucked every nickel out of those workers, and they forced them to pay for their own pick and shovel. 8 year-olds were employed picking rocks out of mined coal. Yes, they were free to quit, to move, and to vote. They were also free to starve if they didn't find work. Moral values were relative, not absolute.

What drives me crazy is that people now want to superimpose 21st century values on 19th century people. Yeah, Thomas Jefferson had slaves. That's what people did then. He didn't travel back from 2023 to 1803 and subject people to slavery.
    <>

Some surprising things i learned along the way:

Not all slaves were Black, and not all Blacks were slaves.

Two of the largest slaveowners, and the largest slave-dealer, in Louisiana were Black.

There were some 2,600 FREE Blacks who volunteered for CSA COMBAT DUTY, not servants, during the Civil War.

In both S.C. & LA, some Slaves kept guns and ammo in their homes.

It was a serious crime to make anyone not a slave into a slave, and importation of Slaves was highly illegal.

Almost all us States had legal slavery in 1776.

Of course, those FACTS are highly unpopular in some circles today.

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Superimpose 21st century values? Like the DOD renaming all the military bases named after those evil southerners? My own high school here in San Antonio , Robert E Lee, was renamed as well. Never mind Lee had a history of service here in Texas and San Antonio, he was another evil southerner who obviously just loved slavery.
    <>

Our domestic enemies saw that so many ignorant Americans had accepted Obama and his destruction, so they felt that ‘’now was their chance’’ to complete destruction of our Constitutional freedoms, so they ‘’went for it’’ by rigging 2020.

We now face the ultimate test: Will We the People accept their planned perpetual cheating-TYRANNY; or, will we physically rout them and hang their leaders ?

Our ’’BIG TEST’’ is upon us.

We cannot allow citizen disarmament under any excuse.

But those enemies control almost ALL communications, and will use them to deep us ignorant & those.

leVieux

<>

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Years ago, on Antiques Road Show, a descendant of the Officer who was in charge of the South receiving Ft. Sumpter had Her ancestor's diary and writings from the incident. The southern forces were unarmed and in dress uniforms.
    At the turnover ceremony, the North opened fire with every gun and cannon they had.

Maxrobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2022
    Nashua, new Hampshire
    Years ago, on Antiques Road Show, a descendant of the Officer who was in charge of the South receiving Ft. Sumpter had Her ancestor's diary and writings from the incident. The southern forces were unarmed and in dress uniforms.
    At the turnover ceremony, the North opened fire with every gun and cannon they had.
    Someone must have mis-read that. The S.C. Militia was certainly well armed, and at the hand-over the Federal forces on the island fired a salute of blanks from cannon when the U.S. flag was taken down. The U.S. troops were then allowed to leave and they sailed to NY city.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I spent many years collecting and reading American History books written in the early to middle 1800's. The truth in almost all books written during that period is very different on almost all fronts including not only the Civil War but almost every significant political event during that era.

When one reads about the Indian wars, the Mormon wars, the transcontinental railroad, the War with Mexico, etc. you can't believe that these are actually the same events that we learned about in high school 60 years ago.

Everything in our history has been sanitized for well over 100 years; the only difference is that today it is being done at outrageous levels of outright lies instead of just twisting the facts.

I had a friend who sent me a number of 1800's era books when he was overseeing the closure of a library in San Francisco. To say they made for interesting reading would be an understatement. At least those are still available in some form or another. Try to get your hands on anything that speaks the truth about FDR or later....just not there

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I spent many years collecting and reading American History books written in the early to middle 1800's. The truth in almost all books written during that period is very different on almost all fronts including not only the Civil War but almost every significant political event during that era.

When one reads about the Indian wars, the Mormon wars, the transcontinental railroad, the War with Mexico, etc. you can't believe that these are actually the same events that we learned about in high school 60 years ago.

Everything in our history has been sanitized for well over 100 years; the only difference is that today it is being done at outrageous levels of outright lies instead of just twisting the facts.

I had a friend who sent me a number of 1800's era books when he was overseeing the closure of a library in San Francisco. To say they made for interesting reading would be an understatement. At least those are still available in some form or another. Try to get your hands on anything that speaks the truth about FDR or later....just not there
    <>

Thanks for this interesting post. . . . . . .

I wasn’t prepared for what I found; even though I had realized earlier that the things we had been taught just couldn’t possibly be true.

leVieux

<>

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Lincoln stepped on the constitution? Real question - is the Constitution still valid in a civil war? Who obeys it? South obviously didn't. Slavery? Nope. There was effective slavery in the north factories also. US wasn't so 'civilized' in 1850-60 as some suppose. The (black) slave trader's house had a high iron wall/gate around it! Actually only 1/10 of African slaves went to US, rest to Europe but they didn't have civil war. Why?
    Kinda like the CBS news special tonight, chocolate companies making B$s while the child slave labor gets peanuts. Problem really is African Gov is piss poor. What you gonna do, you live in the sticks, just enough to eat earned/grown by parents. Everybody else trying to survive? Note - cotton pickers were originally Irish but they got sick easy so Africans were brought in.
    Now lets talk about the black orphan who walked all the way to Kansas and became the potato king.
    Get your history correct please.
    Oh, Mormon wars were due to Mormons stealing cattle and women from the residents. Caldwell County was established as a Mormon one but they left on their own to go west.

Top Bottom