Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just funnin' ben. I was reminded of a long range shooting thread. Heh!
    I figured. But I won't abandon this thread. Nobody who has ever seen me would dare dispute that I know a thing or two about sandwiches, right? :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Bennigans was the best. I haven't seen one since they shut down the one in Victoria.
    I rejoiced when they went out of business. I won't bother with the story here but I had my single worst restaurant experience in a Bennigan's, an incident that soured me on them for all time.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Hmmm...there are so many good ones to choose from, but I would say

Carolina Style Pulled Pork BBQ (with the vinegar and red pepper sauce) with Coleslaw on an extra large Potato Roll.

Other sandwiches that I am fond of:
    Restaurants/Chains:
    McAllister's Memphian (RB, Ham, Turkey, Provolone) on Ciabatta bread instead of wheat hoagie
    Schlotzsky's Deluxe Original on the Jalapeno Cheddar Sour Dough bread
    Firehouse's Italian

At Home:
    Flat Dog Sandwich (2 hot dogs cooked, cut in half and put on 2 slices of white bread with spicy mustard and American cheese)
    Fried Bologna with American on white bread
    Anything the wife makes me.....

Went to Jimmy Johns once (saw someone mention them) and hated it. I like my subs toasted typically and they could not heat it up "Because Subway does that and we are the anti-Subway" according to the person behind the counter. If that is so, you shouldn't be making sandwiches.....maybe start selling tacos or pasta or something. Last time I will stop by one of those.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Seriously, you gun snobs are mustard snobs TOO?!?

LoL .. added Colman's to my shopping list ;)

Schlotzky's original, -onion, +guac is tasty. Sorry Ben but you're just wrong .. lol
    Never had a good meal at Jason's or Firehouse.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yes! Bánh mì! Order the thit nuong. Is it just me or why has it been so hard to find a decent bánh mì sandwich in Houston as of late? I haven't had a good one in years...

The best places for them generally are the hole in the wall joints. I think one of the reason a good on is hard to find is rent .vs how many you have to sell. I'll ask the pharmacist @ work as she's Vietnamese.

Another reason could be most of the shop owners kids have gone a more professional route then their parents.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I rejoiced when they went out of business. I won't bother with the story here but I had my single worst restaurant experience in a Bennigan's, an incident that soured me on them for all time.
    My wife worked for Bennigans for a short while....a very short while. Their corporate office has (had) some of the biggest pricks on the planet. She finally had enough of their misogynistic bullshit and packed up and quit one day at lunch. If I was married to her at the time there would have been a very deserved harrasment lawsuit.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    If you are in the Clear Lake area Boondoggles Pub makes a pretty good Ruben. Got to get the housemade potato chips over the fries though. If you don't like it, they have about 50 different beers on tap to wash the taste out of your mouth. Patio is a good place to take your dogs, they will probably get a bowl of water before you get your drinks.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Where? home

What? crunchy peanut butter, strawberry jelly, butter, cream cheese, banana, Fritos.

When? @ 30 minutes before the food coma nap ;)

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    My favorite Ruben came from The Old German Restaurant (San Antonio on Babcock rd). Unfortunately they closed, was torn down, and now a strip center is going up. Now I have to make my own....

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

Last edited:

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    yes.

Ken's honey mustard or Gulden's spicy brown

in horseradish- Sandwich Pal

I love me some Durkee's. It's a combination of mayo and mustard.

madejuja.jpg

-PAK-

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Seriously, you gun snobs are mustard snobs TOO?!?

LoL .. added Colman's to my shopping list ;)

Sneak up on it. The real English stuff, Colman's powder mixed with warm water and let sit for a few minutes, will sandblast your sinuses. A little goes a looooong way.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I always figured that place was a front as you never see anyone their, & next door Bon Baguette sucked real bad. I thinks they are owned by Happy All.

Around the area they seemed to be best known for delivery, not as a sit-in restaurant. Their Chinese was always marginal IMO, but their Vietnamese was exceptional at one time, especially Vietnamese spring rolls with nuoc mam. Without that nuoc mam, just another spring roll.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Alvin Ord's Salvation. I don't know if they are anywhere else than San Marcos, but they rock.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Sneak up on it. The real English stuff, Colman's powder mixed with warm water and let sit for a few minutes, will sandblast your sinuses. A little goes a looooong way.
    So does it form something like a paste instead of what we're accustomed to?

I like the hot mustard at Chinese restaurants, sounds tasty.

Top Bottom