• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Ben,

The firearm 'covers' the magazine when inserted into the receiver, be it rifle or pistol...is that what you mean?

Thanks!

OK, I'm guessing that isn't what you mean, but why the exposed cartridge' modesty', if you will...or, am I so far off in misunderstanding-land, I should be howled at in laughter?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The firearm 'covers' the magazine when inserted into the receiver, be it rifle or pistol...is that what you mean?
    In the context of this thread, flying with firearms, leVieux quoted a rule from someone where they require ammunition checked in with an airline to be completely covered. He pointed out that ammo in magazines leaves a round exposed, not meeting the requirement that the ammo be entirely enclosed. Thus, it would seem that you can't carry loaded magazines in your checked baggage.

You certainly can't cover the ammo by inserting the magazine into the firearm. That would be flying with a loaded gun which every agency and airline prohibits.

However, it is possible to fly with loaded magazines while also complying with the rules. This is done by making your magazines into boxes that completely cover the ammo. Those clip-on covers for AR magazines accomplish that. Also, I've seen a number of slip-on caps for common pistol magazines that accomplish the same thing. These little things make it possible to fly with loaded magazines without running afoul of airline rules.

Two more notes -

First, Deviant Ollum has made multiple videos about flying with firearms. He has shown/demonstrated these magazine "toppers" or covers on several occasions. His videos are worth watching.

Second, even the covers are sometimes insufficient. I have read airline rules that mandated all ammo must be in the original manufacturers packaging. If you're flying with firearms, it's vitally important that you read every single word of their rules and policies. They may be stupid and arbitrary but only perfect adherence to them offers any hope of flying with firearms without excess drama and frustration.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    In the context of this thread, flying with firearms, leVieux quoted a rule from someone where they require ammunition checked in with an airline to be completely covered. He pointed out that ammo in magazines leaves a round exposed, not meeting the requirement that the ammo be entirely enclosed. Thus, it would seem that you can't carry loaded magazines in your checked baggage.

You certainly can't cover the ammo by inserting the magazine into the firearm. That would be flying with a loaded gun which every agency and airline prohibits.

However, it is possible to fly with loaded magazines while also complying with the rules. This is done by making your magazines into boxes that completely cover the ammo. Those clip-on covers for AR magazines accomplish that. Also, I've seen a number of slip-on caps for common pistol magazines that accomplish the same thing. These little things make it possible to fly with loaded magazines without running afoul of airline rules.

Two more notes -

First, Deviant Ollum has made multiple videos about flying with firearms. He has shown/demonstrated these magazine "toppers" or covers on several occasions. His videos are worth watching.

Second, even the covers are sometimes insufficient. I have read airline rules that mandated all ammo must be in the original manufacturers packaging. If you're flying with firearms, it's vitally important that you read every single word of their rules and policies. They may be stupid and arbitrary but only perfect adherence to them offers any hope of flying with firearms without excess drama and frustration.
    <>

I was an active Pilot over 50 years and know the ‘’rules’’. But many airline personnel don’t.

Then, some are subject to interpretation.

I have had the ignorant force me to empty my magazines and discard the ammo.

I have found best policy is to stay calm, carry the PRINTED REGS, and ask for a supervisor when necessary.

I will say that things have gotten better over the years.

Yet, at 80, I well recall flying as commercial passenger with gun & ammo; and there being no untoward event. Of course, when on my own plane, always armed. Never even the slightest problem.

As the El Al Security Director once said: ‘’Americans should be looking for BAD PEOPLE, not potential weapons. Almost anything could be used as a weapon.’’

We the People don’t just suddenly become crazed terrorists. Trust thy Neighbor !

leVieux

p.s. Our sponsor’s ‘’MagHolders’’ cover the partly exposed top round completely, and take little room in the case.

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

This is another ‘’official’’ item:

• Firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition must be completely and securely enclosing any ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder or holster).
    Please note the slight, but possibly very important, differences in the wording of their official regs.

‘’OR’’:

(. . . or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder or holster).

IANAL

leVieux

<>

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    That's why I fly my own airplane. I like to carry at all times. Why, you never know when you might need to shoot some lowlife bastard.

OneGunTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2021
    Houston
    Today, I flew out of Phoenix with my pistol. The TSA procedure is different. TSA has to hand check firearms in a secure room with you present. Apparently, TSA does not have the proper scanners.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

The Hertz car rental @ Denver Sky Harbor Airport is ‘’Gun-Free’’ STUPIDITY !

Rember that the Phoenix Airport ‘’TSA Screeners’’ are the geniuses who wanted to confiscate & destroy ex-Governor / General Joe Foss’ Congressional Medal of Honor b/c they thought it was some type of weapon.

<>

Last edited:

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Before TSA, I was flying to a military wedding and carried my sword onboard (in its case) because I didn't want to check it and lose it. Flight Attendants were a bit uneasy and finally said, "here, let me gate check that for you". They handed it back to me as I was deplaning.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    The "security" measures that they have at some airports make me laugh.
    I just flew last week (armed, of course) and was baffled at blatant disregard for safety at some places.
    At one (unnamed) airport, the check-in agent did not want to even see the case or the firearm, even though she is supposed to inspect the firearm before she hands you the "unloaded firearm" tag. Logically, how can she give you that tag if she has no idea whether the firearm is loaded or not?
    At another (unnamed) airport, my bag with a firearm appeared on the carousel so someone could have taken it and armed themselves or possibly a child could have gained access to a firearm and ammunition. That was an eye-opener, never happened to me before. I notified the lady at the baggage office but she did not seem to care. Pardon my ignorance for asking but is there a law that has been broken here by the airport staff? They need to be re-trained because this is not supposed to happen.
    And a funny bit at the end: when I was opening my bag, one check-in agent asked me "how many firearms today?" I should have given him a fist bump, that was a great question.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    In the 80's I was flying from Albany NY to FL with wife and kids for a vacation. I was bringing two of my silhouette pistols, in a gun case with the proper identification. They proceeded to put a large sticker on the case indicating a firearm. I get to FL and the case didn't come out with the luggage. I was panicking, found out it was secured in an office for pickup. Cool. Going home the opposite, the case came down the belt with all the other luggage.

LabRat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    DFW
    The "security" measures that they have at some airports make me laugh.
    I just flew last week (armed, of course) and was baffled at blatant disregard for safety at some places.
    At one (unnamed) airport, the check-in agent did not want to even see the case or the firearm, even though she is supposed to inspect the firearm before she hands you the "unloaded firearm" tag. Logically, how can she give you that tag if she has no idea whether the firearm is loaded or not?
    <<snipped for brevity>>
    This is not correct. The Ticket Agent should not request to see the firearm to ensure it's unloaded.

There is no requirement in the TSA regs for the airlines to verify the condition of the firearm.
    Refer to: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition
    That's the gun owners responsibility.

I fly with American and there is no requirement for them to inspect the firearm either.
    Refer to: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/firearms-and-ammunition.jsp

Another airline may have that requirement. But, I've flown many different carriers over the years and never found that to be a stated requirement. Exposing a firearm in the airport may generate all sorts of unfortunate events.

I had a Ticket Agent in Myrtle Beach tell me she HAD to view the firearm to be sure it was unloaded.
    I asked her if she was going to sign the Firearm Affidavit along with me? She said Absolutely Not.
    I said "Call the TSA Supervising Agent to the desk".
    Three of them showed up (not sure why), and said the Ticket Agent is NEVER to request to inspect the Firearm in the case.
    It's not their job nor are they responsible for the firearm.

The onus is on me as the passenger to ensure the flight conditions are met per the regs. I think the regs are bogus and security-theatre, but in today's environment I submit to the requirement so I can be safe with my firearm at my destination.

LabRat

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom