• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nitro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    houston
    We almost made a big mistake yesterday at Pasadena and bought a Jimenez because of the price. Boy would that have been a mistake. Thats why I was thinking getting a used better quality. YoungGun I appreciate all your help to get me into the right pistol. When I was into guns last in the 80's we all had 357'S, 44 mags and 45 auto. All of these new guns are so much different. I wish I wouldnt of let so many years pass and kept up with the new technology. Does everyone like the 9's because of the cheap ammo?
    Hurley's Gold

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    You should come to the next Houston range day we have and try out a few guns. Sept. 29th at ASC I believe. If you can't make that I'm sure someone would still be willing to meet up with you and help you find something right for you.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

nitro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    houston
    What is a Houston range day and where is ASC? I can google it. Does this site help with this range day, does venders or manufacurers bring guns or does the range bring the guns.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    OMG.....step away from the vendor table. Get with a knowledgeable member near you and let them take you gun shopping.
    Pewn - right between the eyes!
    You are so right about me being wrong in the post that I editted it. Thanks.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    What is a Houston range day and where is ASC? I can google it. Does this site help with this range day, does venders or manufacurers bring guns or does the range bring the guns.

Here are some TGT range day threads. Pick one (or all), get to it, and meet some great people that love to talk about and share guns and information. No manufacturers or vendors have brought guns to the meets that I've attended but they have brought other products. Many ranges in the Houston area rent guns. ASC is http://www.amshootcenters.com is on Westhiemer Pkwy.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/houston/37525-houston-range-day-september-2012-a.html
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...-tgt-range-day-sept-23rd-bexar-community.html
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...meet-oct-20-fall-planning-chatter-n-chit.html

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    LOL....I bit my tongue about the Hi-Point, but when he said he considered a Jimenez....

We need to have in intervention.
    I do some annual work related training in Houston and the instructor (who eats, sleeps, & breathes hunting and fishing) showed me the Jimenez he keeps at the office. I just said 'cool'.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If ya' get the hi point, lemme' know, I think I know where I csn get you a used Yugo! Just messin' with you. Seriously though, the hi point, in my opinion only, is comparable to buying a used Yugo. There are a couple of good points about a hi point; when it gets stolen or somebody (cops/homeboys) take it away from you, you haven't lost much.

nitro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    houston
    Wow You have a Yugo, I wish I had one I would a V8 in it. JK. You guys convinced me, I think I can wait. About the only things I like about the HP is the fixed barrell and the price. Being old school and all. My Buddy had a Desert Eagle that we used to shoot in his house along with Virginia Dragoon and sawed off shot guns in his basement, but that was 35 years ago. Thats why I like the fixed barrell.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I heard the hi points go bang every time, and have a lifetime warranty. Pretty good for $100 IMO.
    Police and military usually look for quality at the lowest price....and we see how many of them use hi-points. hmmmm, they ARE cheap...oh thats right they have to be of some quality as well.

Not to mention they have the ergonomics of a cinderblock. The weight of one too.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    You guys convinced me, I think I can wait. ..... but that was 35 years ago. Thats why I like the fixed barrell.
    That's what we're talkin about. You've given a sense of urgency but you're not rushing out to buy a 35yr old car are you? You want something that may provide protection in a life or death situation. Take an appropriate amount of time to research and handle firearms, then make the buy. Don't forget that a revolver can offer something more reliably than SAs in many situations and that is repeated firing from the pocket/purse with no draw time involved. Good luck.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    In the meantime, if you feel you really need some measure of personal protection, consider carrying a knife. Even though I have my CHL and carry gun, I still carry a knife for those areas I am not allowed to carry my gun and as an alternative. Not only are they incredibly handy tools, but very dissuading to most wannabe thugs...there is almost no chance of an untrained attacker disarming you without getting cut and few people want to chance that.

I think you'll be glad you decided to hold off on making a purchase right now. Do you really want to trust your life or your girlfriend's life to a cheap and unproven gun? In the end its worth the wait. Try to stay safe and out of bad situations...this is still the best idea even when you're carrying. Best of luck in your decision making process and let me know if you need any help reaching a decision. I come up to Houston to shoot with several of the guys in the area on a regular basis and could tote along all of my pistols or you can always come to one of those range days that Glockster linked. To answer your questions about those though, they're just group meets of members from the forum. So far we don't really have any vendors or anything like that coming out but several of the ranges we visit do have gun stores to look around in or rent guns. ASC is American Shooting Centers on Westheimer in Houston and is an outdoor range that we'll be meeting at this month.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    What part of Houston are you in? Let's go to a shooting range or at least talk. Let me know and I'll PM you a phone number.

Guys\Gals here who have met me personally can vouch for my character if you're worried about meeting a stranger.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    nitro: You would be wise to take matefrio up on that offer. He's an upstanding guy with plenty of knowledge to help you. Bring your GF too so she hears the info first hand. Again, good luck.

nitro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    houston
    I have alot of hobbies but this forum is by far the most informative and friendly forum I have ever been on. I am ok until a better quality used pistol would come along. I guess I will try to stay active on this forum to get a good deal. I am just having a hard time paying some of these inflated prices that the manufacturers are charging now. Big change from when I was active in the 60's to 80's. Im used to the big calibers, as I stated earlier in this thread, but the ammo is sky high. I wil have to adjust my budget and not eat out as much. Thanks to everyone and keep your eye out for me.

Top Bottom