• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    I get what you are saying, but I wouldn't call going to your car at 3 am a poor choice. I mean, was going to the car a poor choice, or was the time of day a poor choice? Because for some people, 3am is just like 3pm to the average person. I happen to be one of those people. For me to come and go at all hours of the day/night, is a pretty common thing. To not do that would be to not live my life, pretty much. I've always been that way, either voluntarily (just because I am a night person, not a drinker and don't go to bars, but just like the city better when less people are out and about), or because I worked insane and unpredictable hours.

agreed, and like I told him in the first place. I HAD to go to my car at 3am, for work. I was having a meeting with a person who works with us and lives in India, so I had to stay up and talk to him. Plus, it was like a Tuesday night.....I definitely wasn't expecting a large group of people partying on a Tuesday.
    Venture Surplus ad

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Where I live I see people come and go constantly. I see and recognize most of my neighbors, so I see them often, but they only make up about 10% of the foot traffic I see every day. And there have been shootings here in the past, and this week a string of auto burglaries. It's not exactly predictable, but it is a relatively safe area. Still, it's Houston, and I don't go anywhere in the big city unarmed, if I have a choice. Not even to the mailbox.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Where I live I see people come and go constantly. I see and recognize most of my neighbors, so I see them often, but they only make up about 10% of the foot traffic I see every day. And there have been shootings here in the past, and this week a string of auto burglaries. It's not exactly predictable, but it is a relatively safe area. Still, it's Houston, and I don't go anywhere in the big city unarmed, if I have a choice. Not even to the mailbox.

Yeah, about every 3rd or 4th trip to the mail box....there are printed flyers that say "There was another break in, please make sure blah-blah-blah"

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Its easy for anyone to look back and pick apart a situation. You can do that all day long with any way it would have went down. I think you did just fine. As far as the disengaging the safety thing-why is that a problem, but walking around with a glock with no external safety mechanism isn't an issue? But you can argue those points all day long. Good job, and I'm glad you stayed safe through it all.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Its easy for anyone to look back and pick apart a situation. You can do that all day long with any way it would have went down. I think you did just fine. As far as the disengaging the safety thing-why is that a problem, but walking around with a glock with no external safety mechanism isn't an issue? But you can argue those points all day long. Good job, and I'm glad you stayed safe through it all.

Thanks, I agree. It was safe in my pocket, finger off the trigger in Double Action mode. (A lot safer IMO, than someone jumping me, punching me, or pulling a gun and then me having to pull it out of my pocket and REMEMBER to flip the safety off in the middle of unexpected chaos)

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Glad things worked out. It's good to remember that the best weapon you have is in your head.

As for anyone who thinks you can move away from the idiots and thugs of this world, think again. There are plenty of killings and robberies in the suburbs and in rural areas. They just don't get the press that they do in the city.

As far as Houston is concerned, it's far better than some of the cities I've had the 'pleasure' of visiting. There's no part of Houston as bad as some of those Rust Belt cities.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We at TGT like to armchair quarterback every situation and pick it to pieces without end and I'm not sure that's a great idea. The old statement "you should have been there" applies here and little is to be gained by re-inventing scenarios.

What is true is that you had a very volatile situation that could have gone badly just as easily as it ended well. Any situation involving late nights and drinking can come apart in a heartbeat. The best advice has already been given: Next time, stay in your home, get your weapon handy, stay by your family and call the law to let them handle it.

I am very relieved that it didn't go south on you. Thanks for sharing what happened.

Flash

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    handled it well. but you should have called the cops as soon as you got inside.

Thanks, like I said...it was a judgement call..after talking to the kid...possibly having some empathy for a good kid trying to have fun, and a knuckle head in the group screwing it up. I gave him the chance to solve it once I was in my house, with a cellphone and my weapon. 45 seconds after talking to him, I heard him run up stairs and start encouraging people to leave, I heard a lot of apologies and cars driving off. It was dead silent withing 5 minutes...I waited 10 and it was over. I didn't feel the need to call an officer and report a, what would now be a "story", when he could be off helping other people, you know what I mean?

Had it gone any further, I would of called the police. I know quite a few of them...and my wife works for the apartment complex company, so she knows most of the courtesy officers. It was a judgement call, and it felt like the right one...and it turned out ok. Thanks for the input.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    we at tgt like to armchair quarterback every situation and pick it to pieces without end and i'm not sure that's a great idea. The old statement "you should have been there" applies here and little is to be gained by re-inventing scenarios.

What is true is that you had a very volatile situation that could have gone badly just as easily as it ended well. Any situation involving late nights and drinking can come apart in a heartbeat. The best advice has already been given: Next time, stay in your home, get your weapon handy, stay by your family and call the law to let them handle it.

I am very relieved that it didn't go south on you. Thanks for sharing what happened.

Flash

Amen!

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Thanks, like I said...it was a judgement call..after talking to the kid...possibly having some empathy for a good kid trying to have fun, and a knuckle head in the group screwing it up. I gave him the chance to solve it once I was in my house, with a cellphone and my weapon. 45 seconds after talking to him, I heard him run up stairs and start encouraging people to leave, I heard a lot of apologies and cars driving off. It was dead silent withing 5 minutes...I waited 10 and it was over. I didn't feel the need to call an officer and report a, what would now be a "story", when he could be off helping other people, you know what I mean?

Had it gone any further, I would of called the police. I know quite a few of them...and my wife works for the apartment complex company, so she knows most of the courtesy officers. It was a judgement call, and it felt like the right one...and it turned out ok. Thanks for the input.

You teach Krav Maga or something? I always wanted to learn it but wow the classes are expensive!

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    You teach Krav Maga or something? I always wanted to learn it but wow the classes are expensive!

No, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and MMA. Krav Maga can be great, if you find legit instructor. Problem is it got popular quick, and you had a bunch of "Self proclaimed Self Defense experts" and former Karate schools, loosing money, who changed over and are now magically "Krav Magra" schools. So be-careful if you go for it...make sure you research your instructor.

We have a lot of "Krav Maga" experts that would come to our gym to train, and get tooled. We've also had some Krav Maga guys come in and really hold their own. So you can tell the difference. I think training MMA, emphasis on BJJ and then taking ECQC classes for your hand gun with live semunition rounds is the best mix for personal defense.

Here is some ECQC training (a lot of jiu-jitsu guys head out there, and you can see how it benefits...one guy here clearly has some grappling knowledge)

Grey Group Training/ShivWorks ECQC 2 On 1 Drills - YouTube

^ That is just one example of a class, I don't know that school..but is shows some of the scenarios. They do ones in vehicles, sweeping houses all kinds of stuff with live semunition chalk rounds. Pretty bad ass...I'm heading up there to a good school this year with some jiu-jitsu buddies of mine.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    No, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and MMA. Krav Maga can be great, if you find legit instructor. Problem is it got popular quick, and you had a bunch of "Self proclaimed Self Defense experts" and former Karate schools, loosing money, who changed over and are now magically "Krav Magra" schools. So be-careful if you go for it...make sure you research your instructor.

Isn't that the damn truth?! ;) It seems like anything of an Israeli background has a TON of snake oil salesman (including a number of them locally). Israeli pistol shooting techniques, Israeli knife fighting, and many variants of Krav Maga, there's a lot of them surrounded in controversy, that are completely just a joke, and/or are totally irrelevant.

Here is some ECQC training (a lot of jiu-jitsu guys head out there, and you can see how it benefits...one guy here clearly has some grappling knowledge)

Grey Group Training/ShivWorks ECQC 2 On 1 Drills - YouTube

^ That is just one example of a class, I don't know that school..but is shows some of the scenarios. They do ones in vehicles, sweeping houses all kinds of stuff with live semunition chalk rounds. Pretty bad ass...I'm heading up there to a good school this year with some jiu-jitsu buddies of mine.

Southnarc is one of the industry leaders when it comes to extreme close quarters stuff, particularly with edged weapons and firearms as well as force on force. Force on force like that really gives an eye-opening look at why some techniques are severely inferior to others, how some simply do not hold up under real world stress, and some are downright dangerous. This is probably some of the most relevant training for the average armed civilian and LEO, as you are truly on your own much of the time.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Isn't that the damn truth?! ;) It seems like anything of an Israeli background has a TON of snake oil salesman (including a number of them locally). Israeli pistol shooting techniques, Israeli knife fighting, and many variants of Krav Maga, there's a lot of them surrounded in controversy, that are completely just a joke, and/or are totally irrelevant.

Southnarc is one of the industry leaders when it comes to extreme close quarters stuff, particularly with edged weapons and firearms as well as force on force. Force on force like that really gives an eye-opening look at why some techniques are severely inferior to others, how some simply do not hold up under real world stress, and some are downright dangerous. This is probably some of the most relevant training for the average armed civilian and LEO, as you are truly on your own much of the time.

Cool, thanks for the "southnarc" tip, I'll check it out.

Top Bottom