APOD Firearms

Would you buy a 9mm single action revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skeeter64

TGT Supporter
    Jun 22, 2023
    Red Oak
    Yes to the question! I bought a Cimarron Pistolero made by Pietta that has a .357/.38 cylinder and a 9mm cylinder. If you are like me and don’t reload, 9mm is the cheapest center fire round to shoot by far.

I could have purchased one with only a 9mm cylinder a little cheaper, but i liked the idea of being able to shoot .357/38 as well.

The gun is a little squirrelly. I occasionally have to help rotate the cylinder to get the hammer to fully cock. Having said that, I still think there is something inherently fun about the whole single action revolver thing.
    ARJ Defense ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    How do you like your convertible Rugers? I have a Cimarron Pistolero made by Pietta, but I think I want a Blackhawk.357/9mm.
    I have a convertable Blackhawk and Vaquero. They shoot great with whatever I have put in them. Even snake shot.
    But the again, I have a Black Powder .44 Rem that I shoot cap and ball and have a .45 conversion cylinder for BP cartridges I reload as well as cowboy action and snake loads.
    Conversion revolvers give you more options.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Skeeter64

TGT Supporter
    Jun 22, 2023
    Red Oak
    I took the Pietta out again last night and I put a few more boxes through the 9mm cylinder. It seems to be functioning better every time out. I may have helped move the cylinder once or twice to cock the gun, compared to the first time where I had to do it at least once per cylinder. Still working on shooting it accurately, but that’s an issue for another daty.

Polkwright

Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I have a stainless Blackhawk convertible. The problem is it's not that accurate with a 9mm .355 bullet rattling down a .357 bore. OK "rattling" is an exaggeration but the loss of accuracy is real. Lead .356 is even worse as they will lead the barrel to a fair-thee-well. Haven't tried coated lead, maybe they don't lead but still likely won't be that accurate. So when I shoot it I load .358 lead bullets for it.

When I say "not that accurate" I don't mean it's super horrible but it's noticeable to me unless I use .358 bullets. It has advantages. Those little short cases eject fully with the ejector rod. I use it sometimes as a test platform for load development if I'm pushing the envelope on a 9mm load. Ain't gonna hurt that big ol' gun.

I was hoping to also use .358 lead bullets in my 9mm autos but so far they aren't working as well as .357.

Two Gun Bob

May 28, 2022
    DFW
    What common DA models shoot 9mm with a clip that would be good to put on a short list? I guess they could be breakopen or a swing-out in SA, not that it matters. I need to shoot 9mm without headspacing on the mouth.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Taylor Smoke Wagon 44-40. Righteous.

IMG_6296.jpeg

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Hey MP,

If? You do not reload? Then it makes sense.

No cheaper to load for than the 38 Special....(I think? you cast?)

Most of my "cowboy guns" are in 45LC (have one in 44 mag)....

If? I were to play SASS? Then I would only want the 38 Special...low recoil ............

Later, Mark
    Your point about reloading, is why I chose 38spec/357 mag revolver for my favorite pistol. Mine is not an easily concealed gun, but I prefer the 158gr bullet a lot more than 9mm (115gr?). I have a collectors item 9mm that I don't shoot, but I may break down someday and buy a 9mm conceal carry semi auto. My observation is the 38/357mag combination gives a much larger range of bullets and powder selection. Yes, cast bullets shoot cheap. smile. 38Spec with 158gr cast bullets are in the sweet spot for reloading for my needs. I have some 125 grain lipstick bullet 38 spec loaded, but they are for different purpose.

gll

TGT Addict
    Jan 22, 2016
    5-shot, minimum length cylinder specific to 9mm, 2" barrel... maybe...

Probably would still want it to use moon clips.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No but I do own a Colt 45 convertible. For 9mm I have too many good shooting semi autos to bother. Great concept but I hardly ever use the 45 auto cylinder anyhow.
    I'm the opposite. My Blackhawk hasn't seen the LC cylinder in a couple of decades but it sure has seen a lot of ACP ball down the tube.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gearhead_Gunsmith
    Top Bottom