• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Maybe the BBC wants to make sure that if anyone DOES manage to get a gun they will be so horribly misinformed on how to use it they won't be able to hurt anybody(like a robber or rapist).

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You mean some people need both hands?

No. The fun and games and trick and super-cool aspect of one handed stuff irritates me. I am one handed and my only option. It isn't quite as fun & games as folks make it out to be.

You wound me. ;)

Not in the context of that video (I won't defend any of the gunhandling in it) but I'm generally a big supporter of training one-handed at least part of the time.

lol

The training aspect for one handed shooting and manipulation for training is something I support. In fact I encourage that if folks really want to learn to handle the full gamut of being one-handed, particularly while training or at the range, jump in whole hog and only use one hand throughout the entire session instead of just when live firing through a magazine. (<--- Was that a run on sentence?) It will really shed some light on the difficulty of being a hand down. It won't just affect a person in an active gun fight. What if someone breaks their arm while recreating? What if they lose their hand or fingers while working or using tools? Now the entire process is changed.

Anyway, for the vid clip, starting a new shooter out to shoot with both hands is ideal for technique and basic marksmanship. Once that foundation has been established a shooter can move into the more advanced & difficult scenarios. Shooting with one hand is harder. It can be less accurate because the POI is easily influenced by trigger control & manipulation (something new shooters don't have developed). Also there is no support hand to steady and aim the pistol. This affects follow up shots. Getting the sights back on target is easier with two hands than it is with one. As for the wielding dual guns, highly unlikely a newb put all shots on center mass, with their weak hand, no sight training, actual recoil from a live bullet, at the end of a session after rounds upon rounds have already been fired (think fatigue factor). What is the recoil of a movie prop blank anyway?

Maybe the BBC wants to make sure that if anyone DOES manage to get a gun they will be so horribly misinformed on how to use it they won't be able to hurt anybody(like a robber or rapist).

Maybe their consultant is Piers Morgan

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    No. The fun and games and trick and super-cool aspect of one handed stuff irritates me. I am one handed and my only option. It isn't quite as fun & games as folks make it out to be.

lol

The training aspect for one handed shooting and manipulation for training is something I support. In fact I encourage that if folks really want to learn to handle the full gamut of being one-handed, particularly while training or at the range, jump in whole hog and only use one hand throughout the entire session instead of just when live firing through a magazine. (<--- Was that a run on sentence?) It will really shed some light on the difficulty of being a hand down. It won't just affect a person in an active gun fight. What if someone breaks their arm while recreating? What if they lose their hand or fingers while working or using tools? Now the entire process is changed.

Anyway, for the vid clip, starting a new shooter out to shoot with both hands is ideal for technique and basic marksmanship. Once that foundation has been established a shooter can move into the more advanced & difficult scenarios. Shooting with one hand is harder. It can be less accurate because the POI is easily influenced by trigger control & manipulation (something new shooters don't have developed). Also there is no support hand to steady and aim the pistol. This affects follow up shots. Getting the sights back on target is easier with two hands than it is with one. As for the wielding dual guns, highly unlikely a newb put all shots on center mass, with their weak hand, no sight training, actual recoil from a live bullet, at the end of a session after rounds upon rounds have already been fired (think fatigue factor). What is the recoil of a movie prop blank anyway?

Some good advice here for people to consider.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    Except for the gap between her front teeth. I find myself mesmerized by it...

Good for opening my beer bottle when she's done. Other than that, I seem to recall seeing worse on Charlie's Angels, Hawaii Five-O, and the A-team (oops, I'm dating myself).

McGraw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2013
    Navarro County, Texas
    I like that movies and tv shows show terrible form and techniques. If some punk tries to attack me or my family, odds are they learned their style from tv or video games. So, my military training kicks in and I kick their ass lol.

caleb7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Good for opening my beer bottle when she's done. Other than that, I seem to recall seeing worse on Charlie's Angels, Hawaii Five-O, and the A-team (oops, I'm dating myself).

Better to be able to make references to the classics than only be able to make references to today's crap.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick!" ~ Theodore Roosevelt

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    At least the trainee is rather fetching. ;)
    She definitely wouldn't win any beauty contests, but there's something about her that I find really appealing. Made the show easier to watch, lol...

I think one thing people forget is that Dr Who and it's spin offs are written for kids and young adults. Kinda like a scifi hardy boys... Torchwood was a bit more adult, but still had that childish flair.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...Dr Who and it's spin offs are written for kids and young adults. Kinda like a scifi hardy boys...
    I have been flamed for stating my opinion on this before but I'll chance it again.

Dr. Who is not science fiction. It's fantasy. There's nothing speculative or science-y about it. Whenever they get into a jam, they just make up a solution out of whole cloth and throw some unintelligible lingo around. That's not an extension of science (which should be the bedrock of science fiction), it's fantasy. And it's not even internally consistent fantasy.

I loved the Tom Baker years as a kid. As an adult, I truly enjoyed Tennant. But I never considered Dr. Who to be science fiction in any way other than set decoration.

As for Torchwood, I watched the whole thing and I found the dichotomy between the way they handled technology and the way they handled characterization to be fascinating. I generally didn't like the approach but I found it fascinating. The show purposely, it seems, was aggressively incompetent about *everything* having to do with technology while simultaneously being serious and often ringing true about character development and emotional matters. Weird mix.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Dr. Who is not science fiction. It's fantasy.
    o9du5.jpg

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I do get what you're saying about it being fantasy tho... The Doctor might as well be a space wizard. Tom Baker was definitely the best.

Top Bottom