• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    "...or was attempting to enter" is the key phrase there. She had no idea what his intentions were, just that he was trying to get her door open to get to her. Sounds fairly cut and dried to me, and it sounds like the witnesses who were on the scene corroborated her story.

Playing the devils advocate; sounds like the Grand Jury learned more evidence that gave rise to probable cause.
    Target Sports

Wild hair

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Yeah, not really. That is simpy a presumption of reasonable belief.

Soooo, as a woman if a man is beating on my window, and trying to get my car door open...do I, our dont I have the right to shoot?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you have a gun in the car your middle finger also needs to be concealed as well.
    Without reference to any disagreements in this thread or referenced herein, I'd just like to say that the last time I flipped the bird at another driver (Dadgummit, his inattention and ridiculously extra-legal speed had just nearly killed 3 people!), I got a shotgun emptied in my general direction.

Since then, I don't do the middle finger thing while driving. Ever.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Soooo, as a woman if a man is beating on my window, and trying to get my car door open...do I, our dont I have the right to shoot?

In that situation, I say draw first, give the person one verbal warning (something along the lines of "back the **** off or you're gonna get shot"), and if the person is still being aggressive, then you'd be well within your rights if you put onr in their chest.

Without reference to any disagreements in this thread or referenced herein, I'd just like to say that the last time I flipped the bird at another driver (Dadgummit, his inattention and ridiculously extra-legal speed had just nearly killed 3 people!), I got a shotgun emptied in my general direction.

Since then, I don't do the middle finger thing while driving. Ever.

Please, God, tell me that shotgun thing is an exaggeration... If not, then I hope the bastard got arrested for it.

Wild hair

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    In that situation, I say draw first, give the person one verbal warning (something along the lines of "back the **** off or you're gonna get shot"), and if the person is still being aggressive, then you'd be well within your rights if you put onr in their chest.

thanks, doc! The last thing I'd want is to be forced to shoot, but I don't want the bad guy to get close enough to take my gun from me either....there must be a fine line in there somewhere

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    thanks, doc! The last thing I'd want is to be forced to shoot, but I don't want the bad guy to get close enough to take my gun from me either....there must be a fine line in there somewhere

NOOOO do not take that advice! That is brandishing, illegal in and of itself. TXI will correct me, but that will also classify as escalating the encounter.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    IMHO, the "fine line" is whatever it takes to get the other bastard to cease being aggressive/hostile. If someone hasn't stopped being aggressive at the sight of a gun in the other person's hand(s), then they're pretty much asking for it.

Edit: Gramps, I'm pretty sure that, in the situation she described, no charges would be filed, because her actions would be completely justifiable. If someone is screaming threats at you and trying to break into your vehicle, I believe you have the right to brandish your gun.

Last edited:

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    IMHO, the "fine line" is whatever it takes to get the other bastard to cease being aggressive/hostile. If someone hasn't stopped being aggressive at the sight of a gun in the other person's hand(s), then they're pretty much asking for it.

Edit: Gramps, I'm pretty sure that, in the situation she described, no charges would be filed, because her actions would be completely justifiable. If someone is screaming threats at you and trying to break into your vehicle, I believe you have the right to brandish your gun.

Go read the text regarding CHL laws. Brandishing is NOT allowed in any circumstance, nor are warning shots. In the black and white of the law, there is no fine line. Please educate yourself.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but that would imply that a CHL holder who draws his/her gun but doesn't actually fire a shot is guilty of a crime, and to me that makes absolutely no sense.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    An eyewitness, who appeared on camera but has requested anonymity, said that he did not hear any threat in the seconds before Scott killed Ables. The witness was pumping gas and standing 15 feet away from Ables when a bullet ricocheted past him and struck his car. The bullet left a noticeable impression on the witness’s car.

This is from another source.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Go read the text regarding CHL laws. Brandishing is NOT allowed in any circumstance, nor are warning shots. In the black and white of the law, there is no fine line. Please educate yourself.
    Wrong.

PENAL CODE  CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

Sec. 9.04. THREATS AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE. The threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not constitute the use of deadly force.

Last edited:

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas

I vote try to drive off first.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Please elaborate. I do not know any different.

So, a warning shot isn't a warning shot, it's considered a use of force no matter where you're aiming.

You can use the threat of force, pulling your gun out or showing them your gun, IF the use of force requirements are met.

PENAL CODEÂ*Â*CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

Sec. 9.04. THREATS AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE. The threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not constitute the use of deadly force.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom