• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueangel64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Spring
    Not including the recent recall of two lot#'s, what is the unofficial/official review/ranking of this ammo? I was under the impression that this stuff was solid/good to go stuff. A lot of times, rare to find. At least the 1000rd bulk packs. The two and only two times I luckily came upon them, I made that purchase. Was $50.00 plus tax per1000. I'm thinking good deal?? What say you????
    Hurley's Gold

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Not a bad deal if your guns shoot it well. I have some too. But I have had some bad luck with Winchester lately. Both the red and gray box .22. It can be a little iffy.

Sent from my iPad by an idiot coffeeholic.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    I've had a lot of under powered rounds come out of Winchester boxes. Some were so bad that the bullet stayed in the barrel and had to be driven out. Fortunately that was in my Savage bolt rifle and I heard the difference in sound and didn't fire another round behind it.

Had this been in my AR, it could have been ugly, as I run double and triple taps through it.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have not tried the M-22 yet but I have had the same kind of experience with the red and gray box stuff. I had one that blew the back of the case off. Winchester .22 has not been real consistent the last few years.

Sent from my iPad by an idiot coffeeholic.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Minute of Coke can ammo. Fun for plinking. I have had very mixed results the last several years with Winchester .22 ammo. None of it is accurate enough for my tastes. Not even for hunting rabbits. Entirely too much deviation in charges.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I'm with Hoji. Very erratic performance with this stuff.
    It flat won't cycle in most of my auto .22 pistols. Manually cycled guns are fine.
    FWIW I will no longer buy it. CCI mo betta.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    As Hoji & Moonpie said, if it won't cycle in my MK II, which none of the Winchester stuff has for years, now, I simply won't buy or shoot it.

Remington Golden Bullets have been far more consistant, even more accurate, and far cheaper and easier to find. For the last few years, I run 500 rds of RGBs to break in every new semi-auto .22 with great success.

Funny thing is, Winchester still has problems running in my semis, even after they're broken in. No other ammo, no matter how cheap or expensive, gives me that problem, except for Aguila Super Colibri rds, which, as far as I know, having no powder in them, aren't designed to cycle in semis. I still use them a lot for critter control, but just accept that they need to be hand cycled. I've never had a Colibri rd fail to clear the barrel, either, or cause a baffle or muzzle strike.

Admittedly, I generally only shoot them in barrels 16" or shorter.

Again, my .02, FWIW.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Last edited:

blueangel64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Spring
    Well...... Damn it!!! The two times in my life when I actually thought the ammo gods were smiling upon me. It's just a little disconcerting. Oh well, on to the next "great" deal........ Maybe!!

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That's about the only .22 round I wouldn't buy. I've had terrible luck with it being wildly inconsistent. I do like their super-x stuff though.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have a brick of M-22, it's dirty but it really hasn't given my any noticeable problems as some on here have experienced.

I wouldn't use it if accuracy is needed (I prefer Federal Target Grade) but for mere plinking it does the job. Just be sure to clean the firearm afterward.

Oh, and I have been shooting it through both my bolt action and semi-auto rifles; and I can't recall any higher-than-normal duds/FTFs or any squibs...

blueangel64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Spring
    Thanks for the info guys. My excitement has been officially kicked to the curb. That elusive great deal is still up for grabs somewhere.

mkupka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2016
    I shoot the M22 subsonic 45 grain in 10/22, Ruger MKII, Sig 229 ( .22 conversion ) 1911 ( .22 conversion ) and AR15 ( .22 conversion ). I have fired about 500 rounds without any issues. I have not tried the 40 grain bullets though.

Nietzsche

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2016
    I received a box of 200 or so when I purchased a S&W .22 compact, wasn't any better or worse than the Winchester white box I have used, few duds etc.

Top Bottom