APOD Firearms

Why do you have to buy so many different types of powders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    To add to the above:

Reading primers can be like reading tea leaves, some primers are so hard you won't see any distortion until it is too late.

So for the envelope pushers, look for other signs to go with the primer inspection.

Sticky bolt lift.
    Difficult extraction.
    Any bulging of case head.
    Extractor marks on case head.
    I look for anything abnormal.

from an idgit coffeeholic
    Venture Surplus ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Varget is hard to get here too. There is generally a decent variety, just fepends on what you will settle for and what you will pay for it.

from an idgit coffeeholic

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    To add to the above:

Reading primers can be like reading tea leaves, some primers are so hard you won't see any distortion until it is too late.

So for the envelope pushers, look for other signs to go with the primer inspection.

Sticky bolt lift.
    Difficult extraction.
    Any bulging of case head.
    Extractor marks on case head.

I believe it was Handloader magazine a few years back had an article on primers and high pressure signs.

Basically most primers won't show the classic high pressure signs till you're up in the 70,000+ psi range. When you're looking at primers in a cartridge that has a SAAMI max of say 35,000 PSI you're going to be WAY above that before you see anything.

To the OP.

I've got a good three feet of reloading manuals.

Pet Loads, volumes I & II, manuals from all the major bullet and powder manufactures, Hodgdon's yearly, issues of Handloader, Lyman, Lyman Bullet, old manuals... it just goes on and on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    I believe it was Handloader magazine a few years back had an article on primers and high pressure signs.

Basically most primers won't show the classic high pressure signs till you're up in the 70,000+ psi range. When you're looking at primers in a cartridge that has a SAAMI max of say 35,000 PSI you're going to be WAY above that before you see anything.

To the OP.

I've got a good three feet of reloading manuals.

Pet Loads, volumes I & II, manuals from all the major bullet and powder manufactures, Hodgdon's yearly, issues of Handloader, Lyman, Lyman Bullet, old manuals... it just goes on and on.
    Just wish that someone would literally put it all in one manual.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I load BLC-2, W-748 or H-335 for .223 up to .30-06 and dang near everything in between. The "high performance" calibers like .25-06 and the belted Magnums get H-4831 SC.

For handguns I like W-231/HP-38 or Red Dot (although, Red Dot has become a unicorn powder), Blue Dot for high energy auto loading cartridges and W-296 for Magnum revolver cartridges, .30 Carbine and .300 Blk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Just wish that someone would literally put it all in one manual.
    Weren't you looking for a firearms related business project awhile back? Sounds like you found it ;)

Make it an "app" with a very small subscription fee or perhaps even ad driven, and you could have nice useful little product. Being able to easily look up substitutes while staring at what's on the shelf at Cabelas would be useful.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Weren't you looking for a firearms related business project awhile back? Sounds like you found it ;)

Make it an "app" with a very small subscription fee or perhaps even ad driven, and you could have nice useful little product. Being able to easily look up substitutes while staring at what's on the shelf at Cabelas would be useful.

Sounds like a litigation nightmare. Proceed purchasing staggering amounts of insurance before releasing it.

Top Bottom