Lynx Defense

Whose mind is on hunting season already?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I hate the heat of August.

The only thing keeping me going is thinking of cooler weather and hunting season ahead. I put a small feeder out near the cabin a few weeks ago and already have some nice deer coming in
    I have keep protein blocks out most of the summer but will start my feeders up soon, I have 2 more to get running.

I love the fall of the year. Hunting, cutting firewood, just being outdoors and not having a heat stroke
    It can't come too soon
    Guns International

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Vmax, good thread. I have not found too many hunters on this forum. Our doves are looking thick this year, and I am super ready for deer season. Missed my chance last year.

Here's what our hogs are looking like.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Hunting.
    Should be interesting this year. Our place has been leased to the same guy for 20 years. (Ag purposes, not hunting)
    A new guy took over the ag lease in July. Bovine head count went from 80 or so to 7.
    Had some good rains. I hardly recognize the place. I wouldn't call it "lush" but it's got more ground cover than I've seen in, ever.
    Cultivated areas are being rested and rotated. Sunflowers galore.
    We've had no deer or hogs to speak of. I'm guessing that'll change.

I've got scouting to do. Already found deer droppings on my 100yd range.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Opening days for dove season in the central and south zones, booked. Teal opener, booked. Will be switching from protein to corn in the feeders next month. Oh hell yeah, hunting is on my mind!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I need to make more time for hunting this year. Usually when I am home I don't feel like doing anything. I have to change that and get some killin' in.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    My mind is definitely on it. Today is the first day you can get your hunting license!!! Whitewings are everywhere. They make my mouth water every time I see them.

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    I would love to hunt but my family hasn't been able to find a lease that we can afford that isn't a sham.

I've actually never hunted before though. I do however, think about it very very often. I may get out and hunt dove this Sept. I hope so...

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    If anyone here needs an extra gun in the field to keep the birds moving, I am your guy. I am in Katy just west of Houston, but don't mind driving a ways to do some shooting.

I know there are leases around here, but I haven't been able to get the hook up yet.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Whitewings are everywhere

What's the story with that?

Up until about 20 years ago I rarely missed a day of dove hunting, and it was all mourning doves, except for down in the Valley. Sitting on my balcony during the past ten years or so, just SW of downtown Houston, and you can kill a limit of Whitewings in ten minutes with a pellet gun. Never used to see Whitewings this far North? The Whitewings have basically run all the other birds out around here, except for grackles.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    tomorrow I'm going to anchor my tripod down really good since I moved it and maybe put another goodie block out

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    What's the story with that?

Up until about 20 years ago I rarely missed a day of dove hunting, and it was all mourning doves, except for down in the Valley. Sitting on my balcony during the past ten years or so, just SW of downtown Houston, and you can kill a limit of Whitewings in ten minutes with a pellet gun. Never used to see Whitewings this far North? The Whitewings have basically run all the other birds out around here, except for grackles.

My backyard in Abilene is loaded with white wing dove. Occasional ring neck dove.
    Quite a few white wing at the farm too but the mourning dove still outnumber them.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    hey Vaq

sorry about lunch today, bud. I had to make a turn and burn to Breckenridge to take care of an upset customer and it threw my whole day off.:fire:
    I think when you called I was in just outside of Albany in that dead spot

the next burger is still on me!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    My backyard in Abilene is loaded with white wing dove. Occasional ring neck dove.
    Quite a few white wing at the farm too but the mourning dove still outnumber them.

Literally have not seen but a handful of mourning doves around here in maybe ten years. On the farm, up around Navasota, probably a 50/50 mix, which was unheard of 20 years ago. I've asked the question numerous places, but other than a 'change in habitat', which seems to be more of a guess considering what you used to see in the soy bean fields in the valley, and in Mexico. Apparently Whitewings adapt to an urban environment better.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Literally have not seen but a handful of mourning doves around here in maybe ten years. On the farm, up around Navasota, probably a 50/50 mix, which was unheard of 20 years ago. I've asked the question numerous places, but other than a 'change in habitat', which seems to be more of a guess considering what you used to see in the soy bean fields in the valley, and in Mexico. Apparently Whitewings adapt to an urban environment better.

10 years ago, white wing was "forbidden" in the game bag here. Then they were "3 allowed" in a daily limit.
    Now, they're just dove. I kinda expect a reasonable ruling to remove White wing from "federal migratory" status and let TP&W set season and bag limit. Ha ha ha! Ok, I'm dreaming.

Top Bottom