• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    There's a few spore companies that have been in business awhile. Some online stores are rip offs. 'Spore store' is one of the biggest losers. It's gamble on what you get.

On the other end of the spectrum you have The Hawks Eye and Sporeworks. They offer most edible races of mushrooms.

If I can grow protein vs feeding it and slaughtering it, I'm very interested in it. With the price of beef soaring and bird flu effecting meat and eggs. Shiitake might be the answer to supplementing my diet.

Think about the concept for a good time. Growing protein without needing electricity, animal feed or care. No pink slime. 100% pure ass organic. No steroids, antibiotics, or whatever.

A person can have a diet with quality protein, without exposure hunting protein outside would entail.

What's the turn around time and yield per harvest? Once a year bloom?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    What's the turn around time and yield per harvest? Once a year bloom?

We're talking fungus. Yield varies. Mushrooms are 90% water. 50 grams wet is 5 grams dry. How much you want to grow, is how much clean, no draft, space you have. Things have be clean.

Turn around from live culture, my studied guess at the moment, 30days from inoculation of substrate. That's fungus to grown mushroom.

The culture as they call it. It usually a sterile sugar water solution that spores were injected. Spawned and grew into myceluim. 10ml white Karo syrup to 90ml water. Pressured cooked for 45-60minutes. Cooled and then inoculated.

Known as liquid agar. It'll keep for a few months. It's also one of the fastest ways to get mushrooms growing.

For long term storage, spore prints(stored correctly) can remain viable for up to 20years. Spore syringes, again stored properly, can last a couple years.

There's a lot to mycology. Once I've completely gone through the grow steps for shiitake. I'll grow them and show how I did it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Please include link here if you start a "How To" thread.

Oh I will.

Here's the vendor Ill be using.

https://www.thehawkseye.com/

Click on spores button on the left and the list will come up. If the strain starts with a "P" or an "A".....those are the ones that are not edible. Lol, don't even read into them. The reason why they're sold, a step in identifying mushrooms are by the shape of their spores. Viewed at 400x.

Gotta be right identifying mushrooms. Or you'll be dead.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom