• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The other day I was in Natural Grocery. Shiitake mushrooms are $16 a pound.

What's the flavor like?(I hear it has a taste of meat) How did you prepare them?

This might be out of the TGT realm, but has anyone grown them? Did you grow them off bulk substrate, cakes, or outside? Are they fast colonizers? Where'd you get the spores?

At $16 bucks a pound. Something has to be up with shiitake to be so expensive.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Cooked em for over 30yrs, mostly used in seafood, pasta, some beef, and chicken.
    You saute them in real butter, salt garlic pepper. If mixing with seafood pasta saute, season, finish with white wine, chicken the same, beef butter season, finish with brandy, or any brown liquor. Or burgundy. When sautéing them do so in a medium hot saute pan, butter starts to brown. Sautee them but not to far, or they will wilt.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I'm thinking about growing them. Shiitake spores cost way less. I could grow a few pounds for about $20 bucks. Then once I have spore prints, cost fall to the gas it takes to sterilize in the pressure cooker.

Besides other stuff that might add up to another $20.

Bet I could bank at the farmers market. Sell them for $7 a pound.

Last edited:

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Yes you could!!
    Never really thought of it....what does it take to grow a mushroom colony? What's the pressure cooker for?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Got a pic?
    Ive had all manner of mushrooms pop up this year.

I can't name any of them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yes you could!!
    Never really thought of it....what does it take to grow a mushroom colony? What's the pressure cooker for?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done some reading on Shiitake mushrooms. They're grown on a wood log. Usually three specific types.

Mushrooms are fungi. Things need to sterile so only mushrooms grow. Not bacteria. It's process to grow them, but the equipment to grow them is cheap.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Uh, with er, Um, some prior (read: long long long ago) experience growing mushrooms *cough* I can assure you it's not easy to grow them. That's why they're $16/lb.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Uh, with er, Um, some prior (read: long long long ago) experience growing mushrooms *cough* I can assure you it's not easy to grow them. That's why they're $16/lb.

Shiitake can be grown on pasteurized wood fuel pellets.

True, it's not easy. Buts it's definitely not hard. From what I've read into growing shiitake, it's not $10 a pound worth of work. Not even $3 a pound.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Liquid culture syringe of Shiitake-lentinula edodes, $15 bucks.

Shiitake handbook pdf,

http://www.mediafire.com/?x7z1341gpv7fzjm

That's why they're $16 bucks a pound. It's has similar levels of protein as some meats. Plus lots of other really neat nutrients. It's literally a 'Super Food'. These things would come in really handy if SHTF.

You can grow protein and not have to leave your spot.

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Try it first. It's almost impossible to prevent bacterial infection or even mold (oddly enough it hurts mushrooms). Syringes themselves can be contaminated before you even get the cap off the syringe. The concept is easy, in practice, not so much.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Try it first. It's almost impossible to prevent bacterial infection or even mold (oddly enough it hurts mushrooms). Syringes themselves can be contaminated before you even get the cap off the syringe. The concept is easy, in practice, not so much.

There's a few spore companies that have been in business awhile. Some online stores are rip offs. 'Spore store' is one of the biggest losers. It's gamble on what you get.

On the other end of the spectrum you have The Hawks Eye and Sporeworks. They offer most edible races of mushrooms. Oyster caps in blue, gold, king, and pearl.

Now before folks go off on shrooms. Let's be clear about this. It's a felony for less then one gram of 'shrooms'. It's way up on the list. It's not something to be fucking around with.

Cannabis is one thing. Less then 2 ounces are a Class B misdemeanor. Which is a joke. It's nothing but a money grap. Year probation, maybe 30hrs community service. That one day counts for three. 30hrs is two or three days of fucking around.

Shrooms will get you hard core jail time. Any amount. They give Texas judges a raging boner. Cops will literally cream themselves over finding fungus on you. Big ole' nasty puddle at their feet. The lawyer will put his Asshole kids through college with what he rakes out your desolate ass. Then straight up prison.

Big black bubba will be touching places, God didn't know about. The only way to get less prison time is to have shot a Starbucks barista in the face in the first place. That'll get you about 10 years less then being caught with shrooms.

I may be open minded, but shrooms are a no go with me. I'm telling you whole heartily, stay the **** away from shrooms.

If I can grow protein vs feeding it and slaughtering it, I'm very interested in it. With the price of beef soaring and bird flu effecting meat and eggs. Shiitake might be the answer to supplementing my diet.

Think about the concept for a good time. Growing protein without needing electricity, animal feed or care. No pink slime. 100% pure ass organic. No steroids, antibiotics, or whatever.

A person can have a diet with quality protein, without exposure hunting protein outside would entail.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom