• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ok, I hope to be purchasing a 1911 in the next couple of weeks. I have a few in mind that I am considering.
    I have always wanted a 1911 and I am very very excited to be getting my first one. The main use will be
    for IDPA. Plus I just like um. So I am asking for opinions and info on the ones listed below.

1. Taurus 1911SS
    This one is the SS1 with the rail. I would prefer without. I have shot a
    Taurus before and I love it.
    1-191109-ss1.jpg

2.Ruger SR1911
    6700.jpg

3.Rock Island M1911-A1 FS 2 Tone Tactical
    51447.jpg

4. Rock Island M1911-A1 FSNP
    51453.jpg

There are a couple other RI that I like but these two are my favorites I think.
    So Please help me make a decision. If I decide on my own it would be on which
    one I think is the prettiest and that is just too girly. Also open to others but
    these are in my price range.
    Thanks.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Have you considered any Springfield 1911's? Great 1911's and incredible customer service from my experience.

If you do look at any, I'd suggest looking at the Springfield milspec or the Springfield loaded. Not sure what rules there are for IDPA, but I hear the range officer is pretty nice. I have seen these all for sale at decent prices, but I don't know your price range.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    My personal tastes lean toward the original GI 1911, which pistol #4 is closest to. Also, I happen to have an Rock Island GI model, and love it. Of your choices, I'd say the Taurus is the easiest to disqualify.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    Have you considered any Springfield 1911's? Great 1911's and incredible customer service from my experience.

If you do look at any, I'd suggest looking at the Springfield milspec or the Springfield loaded. Not sure what rules there are for IDPA, but I hear the range officer is pretty nice. I have seen these all for sale at decent prices, but I don't know your price range.

I like the Springfields but the ones I like are $1000 or more. I wanna keep it around $800 or less.

My personal tastes lean toward the original GI 1911, which pistol #4 is closest to. Also, I happen to have an Rock Island GI model, and love it. Of your choices, I'd say the Taurus is the easiest to disqualify.
    I had a feeling the Taurus would be the least favored of the 4.

of those 4, the Ruger hands down
    I have a Ruger MK III and a Ruger LC9. I like both of them. That's why the Ruger is in there.
    (I had a dream I bought a Ruger too)

Crazecodyk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I made the choice to go with the Remington less two weeks ago. I love mine. Of those you have there the ruger would be my choice with the Taurus as a very very close second

jwomack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I have the RIA GI. Awesome gun and not a single FTF. Been a awesome gun and now I'm lookin at a RIA FS TAC....

Justin

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    I love my RIA Tac. I haven't ever had any malfunctions of any sort. I did get a local smith to swap out the ambi safety for a single sided safety (I just didn't like it), and I have upgraded the grips to some water buffalo bone ones I picked up on eBay.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360092640.324572.jpg

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Avoid the taurus like the plague. Ria is an awesome budget 1911. Check out the remington r1, as well as springfield

sent from my dishwasher

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I like the Springfields but the ones I like are $1000 or more. I wanna keep it around $800 or less.

In that price range you can get a Springfield GI and Colt 1991a1 or Series 80. Personally I'd look for a nice used model in either of these two brands. Owned/own a few Springfields and Colts and you can't go wrong with them. Each one we've picked up under $700 otd or ftf. They'll keep their resale value as well.

Don't sell yourself short thinking one of the above is out of your range or "needs". They are quality and have affordable models.

I don't know RIA. Considered them now and then. But I never could make the leap. I won't own a Taurus model anything again. "Buy once, cry once". No thanks. No interested in Ruger 1911s.

bullgator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Houston TX
    I had a Kimber 70 Series Classic Stainless Target LE and my Taurus PT1911 ss out performed it and it is now gone and the Taurus went to my son. My Colt Series 80 MK IV Gold Cup National Match blew away the Taurus, but not by much. I also have a Ruger SR1911 still unfired, a Sig Sauer 1911 Extreme, fired but not yet fired by me, a loaded Colt 1991a1 ex-swat cop gun. I good Taurus is hard to beat and if they ain't broke then don't fix em.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Not trying to push springfield on ya, but what are you looking for in a 1911 which disqualifies sub $1000 Springfield 1911's?

Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Springfield Armory offers 1911s that give you more bang for your buck than most other manufacturers. I have owned a couple of $2k (+) 1911s and some cheap beater type 1911s also. I keep coming back to the Springfield Loaded or Range Officer models. Both models offer quality beyond their selling price. As anyone that has ever owned a 1911 will will tell you, you can't just have one!

I currently only have eight. The brother-in-law of a friend of mine has a collection exceeding 50 pistols. He added a "safe room" to his house and in that room he had cabinets build down one side of the room. When you pull out the bottom two drawers you see rows of 1911s all vertical and side by side at "dress right dress". The fellow is obsessed with 1911s, but he does have a very unique collection.

Bone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I've been coveting a Ruger 1911 since they came out. Now I want the Commander model.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    Not trying to push springfield on ya, but what are you looking for in a 1911 which disqualifies sub $1000 Springfield 1911's?
    Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I prefer the stainless steel look or 2 tone look. The Springfields I saw that I liked were a bit pricey. lol. Im going to take my time and look around. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a good deal on a gently loved one. lol

Top Bottom