• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randy Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Between Houston and Galveston
    Since you live in Baytown I would suggest starting with Teal season in September. Start by taking your son Skeet shooting it was origanally started to help people practice for bird hunting. Plan on guided hunts at first and a good guide will help you learn the ropes.

Randy
    Lynx Defense

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    The easiest way to learn anything, is by doing just what you are doing. And from what I've read so far, you've gotten some good advice. The TPW courses are a fantastic place to start. And, like as been said, a great way to introduce to it, and to other like minded people. Keep asking questions. Ask us here, ask the guys/girls at the LGS, ask the guy filling up his tank at the gas station with the "Ducks Unlimited" window
    arrow-10x10.png
    sticker on his truck. I've made many contacts
    arrow-10x10.png
    , and have had some outrageous conversations just by asking a question while standing there looking stupid. Which I'm quite good at,so I've been told.:p

As far as what you have to offer. It doesn't really matter much now does it. As long as you can help and participate
    arrow-10x10.png
    in some fashion or form, is all that counts. Could just be that bean or chili recipe
    arrow-10x10.png
    you just remembered because somebody mentioned Bugs Bunny and it had wabbit in it. In case you hadn't noticed, this forum can, and does, cover a cornucopia of topics.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    FYI, you can actually take the hunter's education course online. Don't need to worry about a classroom (although meeting people there is a plus). You can take the course without paying (only pay if you pass kinda thing) so you can learn a lot there. Even of you plan on doing classroom certification, it's good to get a head start.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The first lesson on hunting in Texas is go withdraw a pile of money from your bank.

Pile the money in a heap in the backyard.

Pour gas all over the pile.

Light pile on fire.

It is cheaper that way.

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    I'll be starting with the required hunting course(s) since most are in agreement that is the best place to start. After that, I'll worry about filling in the blanks of what I didn't learn by doing it.

As for starting in September, that's just not likely to happen. I asked so I have some idea when I start getting into it, but I don't have the funds to get into it as of now, and I'm not sure when I will be able to. It may be a year from now before I start.

I'll also need to get a rifle and get proficient with it. As of now, I've never even shot a rifle before. I may get into bird hunting, but it's never really piqued my interest. I have however always wanted to do some rifle hunting. I pick deer because I already know I like the meat and I'd like to hunt something I'm actually going to use. That may change by the time I actually get into it. I don't have a boat or I'd even be open to gator hunting, as I like that too.

As for burning the money, I know it's a money pit, but it just doesn't seem as fun to burn a big pile of money. Nor as rewarding.

TexasAggie88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2015
    Cypress
    I was really lucky and grew up hunting. I have hunted private land, deer leases, and exotics. Personally, I found most efforts for duck and geese only semi- rewarding. I also get incredibly nervous in a duck blind with folks I don't know very well. Doves are hit and miss (literally) some leases being great, others almost no birds. Unfortunately, you don't hear many people talk about hunting rabbits and squirrels. I think that is the best way to learn. Another economical and not too difficult hunt is for inexpensive exotics (rams) or whitetail doe hunts. You can find these hunts in the paper or online. The ram hunts are really fun and no stress hunts. They aren't much for eating though, so you could also consider a whitetail doe hunt if keeping the meat is your goal. The last time I checked, prices are as low as a couple hundred dollars for does and $350-400 for smaller rams.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    TPW now offers a free 2 day workshop on animal tracking. Check with local people that offer the hunter ed course.

Make friends. Local meetups of forum members would be a good place to start. Not uncomun for us to offer for someone to shoot our rifles. I've offered to loan a rifle to those I trust as well. Especially if I am along. Sometimes the best payment is nothing more than the smiles you get in return.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The first lesson on hunting in Texas is go withdraw a pile of money from your bank.

Pile the money in a heap in the backyard.

Pour gas all over the pile.

Light pile on fire.

It is cheaper that way.
    :laughing: Yeah, or keep piling until you have enough for a down-payment on your own property.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    :laughing: Yeah, or keep piling until you have enough for a down-payment on your own property.

If the City of Austin would let me, I could hunt in the undeveloped lot behind me (with permission from the landowner, of course). Alas, even pellet gun discharges in this lovely city are illegal.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If the City of Austin would let me, I could hunt in the undeveloped lot behind me (with permission from the landowner, of course). Alas, even pellet gun discharges in this lovely city are illegal.
    If it's 10 acres or bigger they can't do squat about it (for shotguns and air rifles). There are some spots around town with large plots that get lit up during dove season :laughing:

Top Bottom