Gun Zone Deals

What's the scoop on selfsealing targets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I've been considering any number of these. The confusing part is most are marked 'centerfire only' or '.17-.32cal' but the Spinner Target (pictured) is rated up to 50 cal. I don't have a 50 but I'd like somthing that will handle .45ACP.

What's your experience with these?

http://www.championtarget.com/targets/interactive/duraseal.aspx

44884_DuraSealWobbleTarget.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    No direct personal experience, but I've read on these a bit and talked to some folks about them.
    The way I understood it, and this will probably end up on the "out of context" thread.
    The larger the diameter of the projectile, the harder it is for the "wound" to seal up around the hole generated.

I've, also, heard that you don't want to spend a lot of time shooting them with a hollow point as the bullets hollow cavity can scoop more material away then a FMJ round would as it passes through.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've got a couple Do-All hot boxes. Between me and my friends, we've shot the snot out of them. They hold up pretty good. It'll eventually wear out, but for $20 I don't think its that bad. Definitely more durable than the cans and water bottles I'm used to shooting. Of course, those don't really "cost" anything

Oldfalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Point Venture
    I have been wondering about these type of thing too.
    Never seen this one before, only the different shaped orange ones.
    I am thinking of getting a square one that will not as likely roll.
    I wonder if the one in the OP just bobs back and forth when hit, within reason stay put at the range you place it

Marblecrusher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    North Texas
    Ive been using one of these from cheaperthan dirt for a long time, Lets see well over 1000rds of .22 through it a couple hundred rounds of .556 through it over 100rds of .357mag hollow points through it. Multiple shotgun birdshot gauges as well as a few .410 buckshots through it as well as some .30-30 and 7.62x54R rounds through it. Alright whssshhh i think thats it although i think there have been some 9mm and 40cal rounds through it as well. I would not hesitate to buy more of these in fact i will one day if this one ever dies! Ill try to get some pics up of it in its current condition.
    TARGET-203.jpg

-Jordan-

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    So, you're saying buy them by the gross eh?

Good reference, thanks. Comments I've seen on the web say there's often so little movement you can't tell whether or not you hit the target. What you say? And yes, pics please

Am I the only one that doesn't understand post #4?

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Ive been using one of these from cheaperthan dirt for a long time, Lets see well over 1000rds of .22 through it a couple hundred rounds of .556 through it over 100rds of .357mag hollow points through it. Multiple shotgun birdshot gauges as well as a few .410 buckshots through it as well as some .30-30 and 7.62x54R rounds through it. Alright whssshhh i think thats it although i think there have been some 9mm and 40cal rounds through it as well. I would not hesitate to buy more of these in fact i will one day if this one ever dies! Ill try to get some pics up of it in its current condition.
    TARGET-203.jpg

-Jordan-
    they sell these at academy

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio

Good reference, thanks. Comments I've seen on the web say there's often so little movement you can't tell whether or not you hit the target. What you say? And yes, pics please

Am I the only one that doesn't understand post #4?

The round ones like pictured don't move much with 223 rounds but are a lot of fun with pistol rounds.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I dont either and he put a full address for his location.

It's a SpamBot. They automatically sign up for boards, post random crap in random threads and have a link to the business they are promoting or virus they want you to pick up in the sig line.

Edit: Spam post has been deleted.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Comments I've seen on the web say there's often so little movement you can't tell whether or not you hit the target.
    With the boxes like I have, .22lr doesn't really move it at all. It jumps a little with .22mag and 5.56, but if you hit on the edge it'll flip over. Anything .30cal and up will send it tumbling, however.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I have been wondering about these type of thing too.
    Never seen this one before, only the different shaped orange ones.
    I am thinking of getting a square one that will not as likely roll.
    I wonder if the one in the OP just bobs back and forth when hit, within reason stay put at the range you place it

I have the orange colored self-healing targets. Use them for target practice at the ranch.... they are very durable and fun to shoot because follow-up shots are not always in the same location... With the ball shaped one, you have to hit it on the edge to see major movement, if you hit dead center, movement is difficult to see.... I also have the the square shaped target.... this shape is meant for bigger calibers and even shot....

ps.... bought these at academy.....

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I appreciate all the info. Sounds like these are pretty durable little toys.

I do like the idea of some movement for followup shot so I'll probably try the ball first.

Marblecrusher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    North Texas

Ill upload some pics of the ball when i go to lunch. As far as movement you can see it move even with .22 depending on where you hit it. Ill be doing some shooting today so ill see if I can get some decent videos of hitting it with different rounds

-Jordan-

Marblecrusher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    North Texas
    Alright heres some pics from a few different angles its a little dirty but you get the point. Can you tell where I hit it with the mosin nagant in the last picture? lol
    reactive1.jpg

reactive2.jpg

reactive3.jpg

reactive4.jpg

-Jordan-

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Kinda rude not to clean your ball before showing us.

And that's w/@ 1500 rds? Looks good to me. Tks

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robertmb3
    Top Bottom