APOD Firearms

What size cooler to transport 50 lbs. of frozen steaks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    A buddy of mine is gifting me 50lbs. of various cuts of steak. I just have to go get them and drive 5 hours back to my home next week. They will be frozen. How big of a cooler would I need to transport them home? I have no clue how much room 50 pounds of steaks would need. Thanks
    Venture Surplus ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    48-62 quart should be good. I just picked up 60lbs of processed venison that would easily fit in a 62 qt.. Depends on how it is packaged.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Driving 5 hours should not be a problem. A cardboard box with some newspaper will work fine, unless you are stopping off along the way. I routinely bring frozen fish home from Alaska in a cardboard wet box, which is a double layer of corrugated cardboard coated with wax. Trip time is over 20 hours and fish is still frozen when I get home, in the summer.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    X2
    Dry ice and/or ice packs are better than ice IMHO.

They don’t leave a wet mess when they melt…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Nothing pisses me off more then seeing waterlogged venison. Folks seem to forget most water has fluoride & clorine added.

I have personally seen the damage done by fish displayed on ice in retail settings. I would never buy it.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    They should be thawed by the time you get home. Throw 'em on the grill and post your address...

1638290935058.png

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    Thanks for the replies. The only cooler I still own is an old 48 quart Coleman. Looks like I'll make a stop at Academy on the way there. The only stops I will maybe make on the way home would be Weikels in La Grange and then Opies in Spicewood if I get back soon enough.

Last edited:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    If really frozen, a box. Brought a beef back in pickup from Ne to KC, drop off half with FIL and on to DFW- still frozen. Best beef I ever got.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Just don't use bag ice as stated above. I have done a couple big orders of ground burger. It will stay more frozen with nothing v.s. wet ice.

No help on the cooler size, though. Tubes of burger stack easily, steaks, not so much.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    A buddy of mine is going to drop off a 62 qt cooler later to go with my old 48 qt cooler. He said why buy one when he has some extras, nice guy. I know what he is getting from me for Christmas now. Walmart sells dry ice so I will pick some up. Now to schedule some time to run down to Friendswood and back.

Top Bottom