• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    If you dont have it in your car/truck every day then the day you need it you most likely will not have it with you. I doubt many people actualy carry there bags with them into work every day. My truck is about 100 yards from my office. If I cant make it that far with just my glock then I am dead anyways :)

You really carry all of this stuff every day?!?

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    You really carry all of this stuff every day?!?
    The rifle and food pack typically stays in the house, but yea the main day pack typically stays in the truck. 1. It keeps all my supplies together and 2. it doesn't hurt just to keep it in the truck. There's been a few times it's been handy to have around!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Hit up the army surplus by 7/11. They have all the camelback stuff. They also have single AR mag, 'speed holsters'. Molle, nylon with some kind of lining. Velcro nylon strap that fastens behind the magazine. Verses the standard army mag holders that fasten in the front.

It holds a single mag tight to the waist weaving the two straps under the second row of molle to the buttons.

It has a NSN#

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I B slackin. In my truck, I've got a handgun, knife, spare mag, miscellaneous rounds floating here and there, a roll of paper towels, couple of gallons of water and some tools. Lame - if SHTF, I'm going home.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Hit up the army surplus by 7/11. They have all the camelback stuff. They also have single AR mag, 'speed holsters'. Molle, nylon with some kind of lining. Velcro nylon strap that fastens behind the magazine. Verses the standard army mag holders that fasten in the front.

It holds a single mag tight to the waist weaving the two straps under the second row of molle to the buttons.

It has a NSN#
    That surplus has some good stuff. They have all the good gun cleaning supplies, too! I think Walmart has cheaper bladders though.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    That surplus has some good stuff. They have all the good gun cleaning supplies, too! I think Walmart has cheaper bladders though.

Those bladders are China made knock offs. They work but it's no where the quality and ruggedness of the military issue.

It use to be most surplus army stuff was Vietnam era crap. Now the stuff is crazy expensive modern crap.(as bought by the government)

$400-$500 weapon lights. Rifle and side arm types. $150ish unissued in the wrapper. $100-$500 Pelican cases. (night vision size to huge) $25 bucks for the night vision size. The huge ones, $75ish.

Carrying handles, mag couplers. Oakley M-frame eyepro, New and used.

All of it American made.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've been finding cheap, but quality alternatives to the military stuff I'm used to. For example, instead of spending $250 on a pelican rifle case, I bought an $80 Plano case. Its missing the wheels, but I don't have any issues carrying it. Instead of a $200 tac light, There's tons of cheaper options that still hold up to recoil. From what I've seen, surefire still beats everyone in pistol light switch configuration. So I just got mine on sale at a pawn shop - $75.

You're right about the bladders though. I just don't see myself abusing the camelback I've had since 06, so I think I'll be ok getting a civilian one. I hear camelback has civilian models of their bladders. Maybe I'll go that route.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Camelback, Nalgene, Platypus, MSR... all good brands to check out.

I've had a Nalgene bladder for 10 years or so and only issue was to replace the bite valve once because I stepped on it too many times and finally broke it.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Tip: Camelbak bottles and Nalgene bottles use the same threads; their accessories are interchangeable.

In my trunk I keep a small folding shovel, small folding mattock, machete, a few gardeners garbage bags, and a bag of lime.

Last edited:

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    On me:
    1.) Springfield Armoury 1911A1 National Match .45 ACP, in a Milt Sparks Summer Special holster, 1 Wilson Combat 8-rd magazine in the pistol, 2 in a Milt Sparks magazine carrier. Pocket knife (usually, a favorite made by PUMA), 2 bottles of water, cell phone, flint-like sparker on key chain, pocket calculator (a vestige of work), and a 2-day supply of any prescription meds. Now that I'm approaching old (even for a tree), the 1911A1 may get replaced by a LW Commander or something similar.

2.) Ruger Police-Service Six .357 Mag in an OWB holster (the name of which escapes me), 3 HKS speed-loaders, usually in jacket pockets, and same compliment as #1.

In Vehicle:

1.) 200 rds. extra ammunition. Two or three extra magazines. More bottled water, a military surplus wool blanket, various lengths of rope or parachute cord, a Beckman BK-7 sheath knife, snacks, insect repellent, sunscreen, a roll of paper towels and toilet paper, whatever book I'm reading at the time, and a Liter of medium-grade scotch (UNopened & in trunk). Bottle of anti-inflammatories, generic Zantac & antihistamines. A bolt action rifle of some description, in .308 & 200 rds extra ammo (some of which is special-purpose handloads).

2.) (OTHER Vehicle) Two or three extra speed loaders. 186 rds .357 Mag & .38 Spl. ammunition. Same general compliment in most respects as first vehicle, except different sheath knife, and the bolt-action rifle will likely be a Vz-24 8x57mm with 200 rds. ammunition, most of it loaded to C.I.P. specs, not SAAMI specs.

There are a few other items present, but they are of a less general nature. A Stanley "FAT MAX" power supply travels with me, also.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Folding shovels are great to have!

I hated those Damn things. It works but Lord it's hard on your wrists. Another suggestion is a Fiskers hatchet. I've own two. One I lost. They can take some abuse. Keeps a really good edge. Half the weight of a wood or steel handled hatchet. Good luck trying to break it. The head has never come loose on the ones I've used either.

Also works good cutting the pelvic bone on deer. Chopping the legs off squirrels. One of my favorite tools in the woods.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have this planned out. First I will work my way home and collect available family members. Then we will eat up the frozen stuff
    before it thaws and goes bad. After that we will have fun filled evenings in shootouts with the better prepared neighbors until we are dead.
    Because if I have to live scared, I'd rather go out in a blaze.
    I'm too old and weak to run into the hills and shoot animals. If I should starve at least I will do so in my lazy boy.
    Mother was a life member of the I will never leave Southern California club. The trunk of her car was useless because of all the earthquake crap
    she carried. Water bottles that were not prepared, as she didn't want even a hint of bleach to drink. Great hoards of old foods. No guns, guns bad.
    Why don't you just move to Texas? i would ask. Too damn hot! She would reply. She lived in Lancaster, that's in the real desert folks.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    It is mesquite. Larger pieces to put in a fire once I have it going. I believe I condensed that to fit into my mag lite case.

I have dryer lint and a fire steel for the initial flame and I figure I can cut those pieces as small as needed to start a sustainable fire.. If the need ever arises
    Vaseline soaked cotton balls works better. 20 minutes of burn time stored in a camel snus tin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    For tinder,

Waxed paper, crumple a sheet of paper and dip it in melted paraffin, makes a good firestarter, but the Vaseline cotton balls is more compact.

Oiled paper, oiled with pretty much any oil, vegetable smells less, works pretty good and sheets can be folded into a ziplock. Along that same oil line, maybe not best for your EDC bag, but corn chips make great tinder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    w0E6Z8u.jpg

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    In your picture, I see the Life Straw isn't bagged in it's original packaging. No risk with long term storage in the pack that way? Reason I'm asking is mine would be much easier to pack if I can remove it from it's bag. I'll wrap it in "cling-wrap" and then put it in a protective cardboard tube.

It's been in the bag for 2 years at least. It has a cap at each end protecting the filters. It and the gun in the holster are the only things in the the main compartment. It's still in perfect condition.

Top Bottom