Texas SOT

What is the difference in a stripped lower receiver and a complete lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jugman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    willis
    I am looking into putting together an AR15 and need to learn more about them. I was told it is cheaper to buy the complete lower and complete upper seperately.
    What makes an upper complete and a lower complete?
    And what makes them stripped? Thanks. Jugman
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    In lowers, stripped is a hunk of metal with holes in it.

Complete his that with a trigger assembly, magazine release, buffer tube and bolt catch installed.

A stripped upper is just the upper receiver. No barrel, no dust cover, no bolt group, nothing.

You can get assembled uppers with everything but a bolt group, you can get uppers with everything including a bolt group and you can get them either way without the hand guards.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Just wanted to add to the above.

stripped lower
    DoubleStar Lower Receiver Stripped AR-15 Forged Matte - MidwayUSA

complete lower
    DoubleStar Lower Receiver Assembly AR-15 Forged with 6-Position Collapsible Buttstock Matte - MidwayUSA

stripped upper
    DSA Upper Receiver Stripped AR-15 A3 Flattop Matte - MidwayUSA

complete upper
    DPMS AR-15 Flat-Top Upper Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 1 in 9" Twist 16" Bull Barrel Chrome Moly Matte with GlacierGuard Handguard - MidwayUSA

And be careful. Some "complete uppers" come with the Bolt carrier group (BCG) and charging handle, and some do not. It is a $140ish item.

The lower reciever is the "firearm" and has to go through a dealer. Anything else, can simply be ordered online, tax free in most cases.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    If you buy the pieces separetely, you can build up the gun exactly the way you want it, with the quality of parts you want. If you buy a complete gun, or complete upper or lower, there will probably be parts you won't like or want, and they will need to be replaced. That means double buying parts. However, if you're just wanting a gun for casual shooting, a lower quality upper/lower may fit your needs. No need in paying for top of the line or match parts if you don't really need them. It just depends on what your goal is.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you buy the pieces separetely, you can build up the gun exactly the way you want it, with the quality of parts you want. If you buy a complete gun, or complete upper or lower, there will probably be parts you won't like or want, and they will need to be replaced. That means double buying parts. However, if you're just wanting a gun for casual shooting, a lower quality upper/lower may fit your needs. No need in paying for top of the line or match parts if you don't really need them. It just depends on what your goal is.

There are also a lot of manufacturers that have caught on to the fact that people like to modify their ARs, and offer a ton of different options right from the factory.

jugman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    willis
    Thanks a bunch guys and all your information was very helpful. I was totally in the dark on these AK`s but now I see a little light at the end of the tunnel. Lord I just hope it ain`t no train. I am going to the high power gun show in Conroe this weekend and try to find a complete lower from someone who is not a dealer, if possible. I know now about what to look for and about what to expect to pay. I have a buddy who has some complete Stagg uppers that he will sell at cost or near cost because he over ordered. And I do just want an AR for casual shooting mainly.
    Thanks again for the help.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Haha, I know it's a typo, but AKs are a totally different beast when it comes to receivers. You want stripped? An AKM receiver is a piece of bent sheet metal with holes drilled and stamped into it and bent sheet metal rails spot welded inside it.

Top Bottom