Patriot Mobile

What do you not like about ranges you've been to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fireaustin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Honestly, I hadn't even heard of an hourly rate. I had heard of a per gun. I was figuring you rent the real estate until you are tired of firing. I know there are a few out there that can sit still long enough to shoot all day long, but in general... I think most people would come out for an hour, maybe two.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Honestly, I hadn't even heard of an hourly rate. I had heard of a per gun. I was figuring you rent the real estate until you are tired of firing. I know there are a few out there that can sit still long enough to shoot all day long, but in general... I think most people would come out for an hour, maybe two.

Bingo! I know a hunter guy that breaks out his bolt action rifle and puts two bullets through it and that's it ....

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Honestly, I hadn't even heard of an hourly rate. I had heard of a per gun.

Hourly rates are getting more common. Gander Mountain in Spring is $25 hour, Shooters Station in Conore is $18. I think Spring Guns and Ammo also is hourly. Some places even charge extra if you are shooting a modern sporting rifle over a more traditional hunting rifle. There are a lot of greedy folks in that line of work and try to suck every penny they can. Sometimes the market supports them in spite of that.

Too bad the poll feature is f'd up on here, you could post a poll with various choices to find out what people want more in a range. Maybe they will get it working again soon.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Some places even charge extra if you are shooting a modern sporting rifle over a more traditional hunting rifle. There are a lot of greedy folks in that line of work and try to suck every penny they can. Sometimes the market supports them in spite of that.
    Which ranges charge extra for sporting rifles? I don't see any way they can justify it other than greed. My bolt-action .270 would do more damage downrange than the AR would, so they can't blame the backstop. If you know of any for certain, they need to be named and shamed.

Maybe Cheaper Than Dirt opened a range somewhere?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Among the many other things that piss me off about Carters Country, their range charges extra for what they call 'Tactical Type' guns.

LOL Who makes that decision there?

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Among the many other things that piss me off about Carters Country, their range charges extra for what they call 'Tactical Type' guns.
    Figures that they'd be the one to do that. I haven't shot there in years, and I guess that streak continues. Thanks for the heads up...

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    LOL Who makes that decision there?

I am sure it's the same assholes there who make all their other bullshit rules get to decide what your gun is:

Like these rules they apply to customers:

Swipe your drivers license when you conduct a transaction.

Demand to write down your name, address, etc. for a cash transaction for non-gun purchases. (Walked out when trying to buy a rifle scope and they tried to pull the 'warranty' bullshit on a Zeiss, with cash.)

Lead an effort to get gun shows banned from the George R. Brown convention center.

Demand to see your paperwork if you bring a NFA item.

F-Them............

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Wow, didn't know this 'bout CC. I used to live 2 miles from the Treaschwig (sp?) facility, but I wasn't shooting back then. I will say I've never experienced the probs mentioned in their Stafford or I10 stores. Two gun purchases over the last 7 years, but no DL swipe requested either time.

Guess I will cross them off my will-shoot-at list. I knew they were biased toward traditional firearms, but the surcharge is news to me.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I am sure it's the same assholes there who make all their other bullshit rules get to decide what your gun is:

Like these rules they apply to customers:

Swipe your drivers license when you conduct a transaction.

Demand to write down your name, address, etc. for a cash transaction for non-gun purchases. (Walked out when trying to buy a rifle scope and they tried to pull the 'warranty' bullshit on a Zeiss, with cash.)

Lead an effort to get gun shows banned from the George R. Brown convention center.

Demand to see your paperwork if you bring a NFA item.

F-Them............

I used to shoot there ALL the time & never once experienced any of this.....odd.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I was shooting at an indoor 100 yard range in Conroe, and the whole place was steel inside. Looked cool, till you fired off a 5.56, and had to check and make sure that your ear plugs were actually in. If you are going to build an indoor range, two words - SOUND DEADENING!!

A gunsmith that worked there fired a 30-30 5 stations over when I was sighting in a 10-22mag, I dern near pooped myself!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I am right-handed....You gonna stand on my left while I practice drawing from my shoulder holster? ;)

Well, I can't stop you if you want to be the poster child for the reasons you were told not to carry a shoulder holster :p

I guess I should add the caveat to the 'allow holster work' suggestion. One of the ranges I go to allows holster work and any kind of position shooting because the lanes are private & individual rooms. So, the protection is there to guard against NDs thus allowing holster work. That reminds me, next time I go I'm going to check the side walls for bullets holes.

bwalker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    N/W Houston
    The screens to catch brass that separate the rifle lanes is great. But at the range I go to the screen stops about two inches from the top of the lane separator. One time a guy had a rifle that somehow shot his brass straight up through that two inch gap with every shot. I had to move lanes because every time I aimed to shoot, another casing would fly over and hit me. Don't skimp!

Also, I'd love to be able to pattern my shotgun ammo at home defense distances, while standing, but every place I go to restricts me to a bench at the rifle range area shooting at 25 yards. I'm not going to be sitting at a bench with a BG 25 yards away when I'm defending the castle.

As far as pricing, I like per lane, not per person or per gun. At the range I go to it is a per gun range. So I only take one gun per visit. However, I can shoot it, then let my son shoot it, and we switch off. I'm never there more than an hour or two but the range has no time restriction, i.e. you can shoot until closing time if you want to.

Top Bottom