Hurley's Gold

What are your thoughts on the Greg Abbott for Governor campaign?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Attorney General Abbott appears to be about 10-15 points ahead of Sen Wendy Davis in most polls.

I was really hoping he would hammer her and send a huge message nationwide that democrats (especially radicals) don't win elections statewide in Texas and win 70/30 or by some other hugely decisive margin. I imagine this will be another extremely low turnout election. In some ways I'm glad for that as it usually benefits my candidate (and I believe less people should be allowed to vote anyways) but in other ways it frustrates me a lot as so many choose to not register to vote and/or choose to not cast their ballots at all. We (in big terms) have the numbers, we just have too many lazy and apathetic people in this state and country. Back to the topic...

What are your thoughts on how he's run his campaign? It's about what I've expected overall but the poll numbers aren't what I expected.

Debate performances? I only listened to a few minutes of one of the debate. I really cannot stand her voice knowing what she supports.

Advertising/marketing? I don't have TV, so I just see what's on the internet and hear on the radio. I've only seen a few of his ads. They seemed decent. He is mostly just playing it safe and associating Wendy Davis with BHO. His campaign is certainly marketing to their core audience. I get multiple emails a day and a lot of "discount" and "special" offers. I contacted my local state rep and got a yard sign for his campaign dropped off. It seems the Abbott campaign wants his supporters to buy their marketing materials. I get it, but it is a bit different from previous campaigns with which I've helped.

Campaigning? I know Sen Dan Patrick has been all over the campaign trail. I'm not sure how much the Attorney General has been traveling the state.

Thanks to those here who helped me raise money for the Abbott for governor campaign awhile back. He is sitting on $30 million.

From what I can figure, he is just running a conservative campaign to not burn through his cash and to also avoid any possible errors. As much as I hate seeing someone "playing not to lose" instead of playing to win, I do understand it.

Your opinion on these matters?
    Texas SOT

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm out on Abortion Barbie. And am surprised more people aren't.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Campaign- he's doing good. He and his people could be more places and have more signs. I think I've seen more Davis stickers and signs around lately.

Debates- clearly his thing. He debates in a way that leaves everyone happy. He answers the questions and expands. Davis doesn't answer and turns questions around to why not to vote for Abbot. She also takes too much time. It looks like the moderators hate her.

Thoughts- I'm glad he's running. Patrick sucks. WD sucks worse. Republicans win Texas and when we don't we got Anne Richards. We don't want another one of those.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I suppose the Abbott campaign hasn't gone for the jugular because they do not really need to.
    Davis' record is dismal.
    I do hope Abbott wins but I'll bet you it isn't going to be the landslide predicted.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I think it's a long game. Whether you win by 99% or you win by 51%, you still get the governorship.

Abbott has an opportunity to start his term on a high note and not have to wash all the mud and grime off before he starts. While Davis attacks him with a series of misleading ads that sometimes manage to contradict themselves within the same 30 seconds ("Abbott wants to cut 5.4 billion from schools. As governor, Davis will remove administrative waste and unnecessary spending from education." Wait? What?) Abbott has focused on what he will do rather than why his opponent is bad for Texas. In a lot of ways, Davis is her own worst enemy. A lot of her ads have left me with a feeling of what I usually describe as cognitive dissonance. Usually when I stop and think about it I can pick apart details that don't make sense in her ads.

Abbott has been a class act and he doesn't have to beat Davis in a landslide, he just has to beat her. Right now he is positioned to do so handily so long as he doesn't pull the traditional Republican maneuver of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Saw my first negative ad by Abbott this weekend. I was kind of disappointed. I had hoped this campaign would be different.
    Up to now, all I'd seen were his discussing issues that he thinks are plauging Texans and what he sees as a priority.

Davis, on the other hand, was all about bashing and mudslinging.

I hope Abbott returns to the high road or it was a short deviation.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Saw my first negative ad by Abbott this weekend. I was kind of disappointed. I had hoped this campaign would be different.
    Up to now, all I'd seen were his discussing issues that he thinks are plauging Texans and what he sees as a priority.

Davis, on the other hand, was all about bashing and mudslinging.

I hope Abbott returns to the high road or it was a short deviation.
    Ill have to find that online.

I heard a Davis ad on a black oriented radio station. To any black person who isn't brainwashed...it should be insulting. It had a young black woman speaking in a stereotypical fashion about all Wendy will do for her.

I keep thinking how long term...we increasingly have a population that wants everything done for them. One party offers that. The other doesn't.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    I think Abbott is doing things right. The worse possille thing that could happen to him would be that Wendy would take some comment that could be taked many ways and spin it as "a war on women". Anyone that has followed the gun control debates, Shannon Watts it seems every week has some comment about NRA or Republicans as "anti-women".
    In such discussions, being right and correct may not be enough to not loose support.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    I wish there were someone better than Dan Patrick for lt gov.! Dangerous 2 face who tried to trick the legislature into taxpayer funded scholarships for private schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I have avoided all the political ads. I'll vote for Abbott. I like him about 1000x better than Perry.

I really wanted to like Kathy Glass. In theory I'm closer to her on issues, but in reality she doesn't have the executive leadership and political know-how to get as much done as Abbott. He will be able to achieve more libertarian results than the Libertarian candidate could.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I have avoided all the political ads. I'll vote for Abbott. I like him about 1000x better than Perry.

I really wanted to like Kathy Glass. In theory I'm closer to her on issues, but in reality she doesn't have the executive leadership and political know-how to get as much done as Abbott. He will be able to achieve more libertarian results than the Libertarian candidate could.
    At this point, I agree.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Stop throwing the L word around in my thread! :)

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Kathy Glass would not win the election, IMO. Don't know much about her but would agree with Mexican_Hippie about her lack of experience and/or knowledge. At this point, a vote for Kathy Glass would only help abortionbarbie get closer to being elected.

Top Bottom